The Student Room Group

What's a reasonable price to buy a Guitar?

Sorry for another thread.

One with a good sound, and one which won't hurt your fingers.

I have £60 atm and really want one but I may have to save up some more.

I check the reviews of some within £60 and they're mixed, so I just don't know :confused:

Acoustic btw, 6 strings because I heard that's best.
(edited 12 years ago)
What kind of guitar do you want? And electric guitar, a steel-stringed acoustic guitar (think country music, folk music and acoustic guitars in pop/rock songs; generally), or a nylon-stringed guitar (think classical guitar music)? Those three loose categories are where to start narrowing things down.

EDIT: just saw the last line. I suppose a steel string guitar is what you're after then. My first proper guitar was a steel-stringed electro-acoustic but it was ****ing horrible - it was pretty harsh on my fingers and it made is highly impractical to play lots of chords. You're going to have to go slightly over your budget you get something tat doesn't truly suck, unless you get a really lucky find.

I haven't played a steel-stringed guitar since, so I don't really know much in terms of what a beginner should go for, but I'd recommend eBay or Amazon and just going for something you like, or if you can get to a music shop, go and try out some guitars you like and either buy those or look for a cheaper one online. I found this after a very quick search, for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfield-Full-Size-Steel-String-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack-R-/350232163073?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item518b76b301#ht_4734wt_725

I'd recommend playing around at a store or two before making a purchase though, if it's viable. A second hand guitar is probably the best thing to do for your budget, though.
(edited 12 years ago)
10p. Get some drums instead. :tongue:
Reply 4
Ohh thanks, can anyone recommend me a guitar?
Original post by miracle day
sorry for another thread.

One with a good sound, and one which won't hurt your fingers.

I have £60 atm and really want one but i may have to save up some more.

I check the reviews of some within £60 and they're mixed, so i just don't know :confused:

Acoustic btw, 6 strings because i heard that's best.

150-200 ,so u ll be able to have quality and be ready for many occasions,if u get a cheap one with 50-60 u will have a trash can sound..

its **** guitar..first of all u cant play after the 12th fret,i told u my opinion u will just throw your 60pounds,
Reply 8
It really depends what you expect to get back from the guitar - with guitars you get what you pay for to be honest. My first guitar was a cruiser by crafter and I think that set me back £140 band I had to get an amp too, but it was nice to play and so I kept up with it. If you buy something crap, you're more likely to give up in the early stages. There's nothing wrong with getting a second hand guitar though if its in good condition :smile:
Original post by almalibre11111
its **** guitar..first of all u cant play after the 12th fret,i told u my opinion u will just throw your 60pounds,

Considering he's a beginner, he doesn't really need to go past the 9th fret, let alone 12th! :redface:

OP, the Amazon one is a nylon string. You want a steel string one.
My second (and current) guitar is a steel string Westville acoustic. I've also got a Washburn electric guitar. These two are fine for because I don't play very often. I got the Westville one as a birthday present, my sister paid £65 for it and the sound is okay (considering I've got dumb strings) but it's a little big. Can I suggest you go to an instrument shop and try out the various guitars because although they say 4/4 or full size, my one is still a little big for me. My first guitar (from eBay) was a perfect size but I got lucky.=/
When I bought mine I got it coz of the colour - I was completely oblivious to the sound/build quality so make sure you've got a pro with you when you're buying!
Original post by Vixen47
Considering he's a beginner, he doesn't really need to go past the 9th fret, let alone 12th! :redface:

OP, the Amazon one is a nylon string. You want a steel string one.
My second (and current) guitar is a steel string Westville acoustic. I've also got a Washburn electric guitar. These two are fine for because I don't play very often. I got the Westville one as a birthday present, my sister paid £65 for it and the sound is okay (considering I've got dumb strings) but it's a little big. Can I suggest you go to an instrument shop and try out the various guitars because although they say 4/4 or full size, my one is still a little big for me. My first guitar (from eBay) was a perfect size but I got lucky.=/
When I bought mine I got it coz of the colour - I was completely oblivious to the sound/build quality so make sure you've got a pro with you when you're buying!

i said my opinion,is like saying that someone would like to buy a car but this car couldnt accelerate more than 60km/h ,and u come and say that its fine since he doesnt know how to drive perfectly yet.. i mainly answered based on the question of the thread ,whats a reasonable price to buy a guitar?a guitar not a toy,if he wants a toy then ok he can buy with 60pounds but for guitar the least 120..
Reply 11
That depends on how serious you are about carrying on with the instrument, my first acoustic guitar cost £300.
150-200 ,so u ll be able to have quality and be ready for many occasions,if u get a cheap one with 50-60 u will have a trash can sound..

It's just a beginner. You don't need an expensive guitar to learn the basics, decide if you want to continue etc. What happens if he doesn't like it as much as he thought he would? Not saying this will happen, but if it does, it's nice to know you only spent a small amount in order to try it.

My guitar cost me about 50 quid, they had reduced it during festival season and then forgotten to put the price back up :tongue: I'd say 60 quid is fine if you just want to learn the basics of guitar, and then if you want to sound better or play for anyone, you can buy a much better one. A cheap one will sound cheap but let you try it out.

Good luck, and this thread has reminded me I really need to start learning again :smile:

Oh and by the way, all guitars hurt your fingers when you start learning. Gradually you just get used to it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Converse Rocker
It's just a beginner. You don't need an expensive guitar to learn the basics, decide if you want to continue etc. What happens if he doesn't like it as much as he thought he would? Not saying this will happen, but if it does, it's nice to know you only spent a small amount in order to try it.

My guitar cost me about 50 quid, they had reduced it during festival season and then forgotten to put the price back up :tongue: I'd say 60 quid is fine if you just want to learn the basics of guitar, and then if you want to sound better or play for anyone, you can buy a much better one. A cheap one will sound cheap but let you try it out.

Good luck, and this thread has reminded me I really need to start learning again :smile:

Oh and by the way, all guitars hurt your fingers when you start learning. Gradually you just get used to it!

expensive guitar 150-200? then hummingbird that cost 3000+ what is it?impossible?
Reply 14
I'd give you mine... if I could find it :/
expensive guitar 150-200? then hummingbird that cost 3000+ what is it?impossible?

Regardless of other guitars, 200 quid is a lot of money to spend on something you may not even like.

200 isn't a lot for a guitar I know, but you don't need to spend 200 to get a feel for the instrument.
Reply 16
Omg idk what to do now.

I don't want to spend like £60 or whatever and then have to move on and save up for an even more expensive one

Equally I don't want to save up and buy an expensive one I might not play etc

ffs
Original post by Miracle Day
Omg idk what to do now.

I don't want to spend like £60 or whatever and then have to move on and save up for an even more expensive one

Equally I don't want to save up and buy an expensive one I might not play etc

ffs

Well, look at it this way. If you buy a pretty bad 60 quid guitar and then love the instrument and want a better one, you've not really wasted any money.

If you spent 300 quid for something that will only collect dust, you've completely wasted your money. Personally, I'd say buying a cheap one and seeing if you like it is clearly far less risky.

My guitar cost me 60, and it's perfectly fine for practicing on anyway. Once I get better, then I'll buy a better one, because I'll actually be able to play it and make it sound good (hopefully!) The guitar could cost thousands and you'll still sound bad at first anyway :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest