The Student Room Group

Chances for Cambridge MPhil Finance

Scroll to see replies

Anybody else got offer/rej ? My status has always been "under consideration by department", is that a bad sign?
They did not ask for any specific undergraduate results, but did ask for my GMAT.. I don't know the exact date when I applied but was around January 12th.. I got an email about the GMAT on Feb 9 and an email that the committee has recommended me for a conditional offer on Feb 13 - I have not yet received the formal offer but have asked and been told that the rest should be just formal and I should receive something from the board shortly...
hope that helps
Reply 22
Original post by sarahboston
They did not ask for any specific undergraduate results, but did ask for my GMAT.. I don't know the exact date when I applied but was around January 12th.. I got an email about the GMAT on Feb 9 and an email that the committee has recommended me for a conditional offer on Feb 13 - I have not yet received the formal offer but have asked and been told that the rest should be just formal and I should receive something from the board shortly...
hope that helps

Hi Sarah, thanks for replying. Congratulations. I hope I could get an offer too. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by application
Anybody else got offer/rej ? My status has always been "under consideration by department", is that a bad sign?

When was your application completed? My application has been under consideration by department since November last year.
Original post by nocomment
When was your application completed? My application has been under consideration by department since November last year.

I completed the application at the end of Oct...The waiting really makes me crazy~~~~~~~~!!!
Reply 25
I completed the application at the end of Oct...The waiting really makes me crazy~~~~~~~~!!!

Wow, even earlier than my application!

It seems that all offer receivers so far has been international students, even if their undergrad is in the UK. I'm not sure if that's related.
Reply 26
For what it's worth, I applied on the 23rd of December, my application went under consideration around the 9th of January, I haven't heard anything at all since then. Check my status all the time :frown:

So jealous of the person that applied in January and already has an offer :eek:
Reply 27
I presume (this is a wild guess though), that those of you who have waited a bit longer are sort of boderline cases and they are awaiting whether better applicants are still to apply. I've heard of students who got rejected, so be glad you're still under consideration :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by Hank_Moody
I presume (this is a wild guess though), that those of you who have waited a bit longer are sort of boderline cases and they are awaiting whether better applicants are still to apply. I've heard of students who got rejected, so be glad you're still under consideration :wink:

That was my guess too.

A week ago I called a member of Degree Committee for MPhil in Finance, I was told that the assessment for my batch has been completed and I will know before the end of Feb.

At the same time, I have seen a few people being asked about their first semester exam results before getting an offer. Whereas they haven't ask me, so hopefully it's not a bad sign.:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by nocomment
That was my guess too.

A week ago I called a member of Degree Committee for MPhil in Finance, I was told that the assessment for my batch has been completed and I will know before the end of Feb.

At the same time, I have seen a few people being asked about their first semester exam results before getting an offer. Whereas they haven't ask me, so hopefully it's not a bad sign.:smile:

Did they define what a batch is? Is it Oct - Dec or Nov - Dec or what?

Also, if the assessment has been completed, what is the point in waiting till the end of Feb?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Swayum
Did they define what a batch is? Is it Oct - Dec or Nov - Dec or what?

Also, if the assessment has been completed, what is the point in waiting till the end of Feb?

Apparently it takes time for the secretary to do the uploading on camsis. What I forgot to ask was by "hearing back" whether he meant getting an offer or the application progresses to BoGS.
(edited 12 years ago)
I gues waiting is the only way at the moment. Waiting 2-3 months is normal I guess.. I was really surprised that I got an answer so quickly - did not expect to hear anything before mid March and thus didn't even check my Camsis at all before I received an email..

Good luck to all of you;
Keep us posted with news!
Reply 32

Any update mate? Mine's been under consideration since early Jan too :frown:. Seems like a bad sign since all those people that have been given a offer had their statuses changed to under consideration by the degree committee quite early.
Reply 33
Original post by mak958
Any update mate? Mine's been under consideration since early Jan too :frown:. Seems like a bad sign since all those people that have been given a offer had their statuses changed to under consideration by the degree committee quite early.

Oh, come on, it does not mean anything. Sometimes they just forget to update and status goes straight from "under consideration by the department" to "BoGS consideration". The only sign that you have been rejected is when it says "rejected" :wink:
Reply 34
Hi all, I made a Facebook group for those with offers, please join when you get a chance!
Any updates?
Reply 36
Nopes, nothing as yet. Best not to keep high hopes, the longer the wait the lesser the chance I think.
It is just a guess, but it sounds very reasonable to me that the admissions offices picks the very best and most promising candidates as soon as possible after they handed in their application since it is natural that the competition among other universities for those candidates is high and most of them have applied elsewhere, especially since no one would apply exlusively for Cambridge only.

Waiting an extremely long time sounds rather like you're in a pool of already rejected candidates who will receive their rejection jointly after the overall admission process has ended.

At least that's it what I believe in my case - I send my application by the end of December and haven't heard something until today (under consideration) and if they really had interest in my person they would have definitely told me that in the meantime.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by TheConvexity
It is just a guess, but it sounds very reasonable to me that the admissions offices picks the very best and most promising candidates as soon as possible after they handed in their application since it is natural that the competition among other universities for those candidates is high and most of them have applied elsewhere, especially since no one would apply exlusively for Cambridge only.

Waiting an extremely long time sounds rather like you're in a pool of already rejected candidates who will receive their rejection jointly after the overall admission process has ended.

At least that's it what I believe in my case - I send my application by the end of December and haven't heard something until today (under consideration) and if they really had interest in my person they would have definitely told me that in the meantime.

But everyone really makes a decision in May. Unless there is a deposit, which is rare, people accept offers and then still change their mind. So it may actually be more beneficial from the point of view of a strong uni to give a fresh offer to someone rather late, after all other offers are in, and sway the candidate. Also you have better chances that if someone accepts, he/she will actually attend.

It is true that for a weak school this strategy would not work very well, but for a Number One in the World it may be better than to appear "too easy" and hand out offers right away.

I know for a candidate it may seem tough, but admissions offices look at it differently.
(edited 12 years ago)
Still "under consideration". I do agree with TheConvexity and simply assume rej from Cambridge even though it's my dream school. Sign....

Quick Reply