The Student Room Group

JACT Greek Summer School 2012?

I couldn't find a thread for this and didn't want to bump up the 2011 thread so...
Is anyone thinking of applying/already applied to this year's camp at Bryanston? I sent off my application a few weeks ago but just checking if anyone else had/was considering it.

For the record, I'll be a complete beginner :smile: (I'm studying Latin at AS at the moment and just wanted to broaden my knowledge and try my hand at Greek too)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by goldfishgirl
I couldn't find a thread for this and didn't want to bump up the 2011 thread so...
Is anyone thinking of applying/already applied to this year's camp at Bryanston? I sent off my application a few weeks ago but just checking if anyone else had/was considering it.

For the record, I'll be a complete beginner :smile: (I'm studying Latin at AS at the moment and just wanted to broaden my knowledge and try my hand at Greek too)

Hey there!

I've applied for this year :] I was a complete beginner last year, don't worry there will be loads of people in the same boat. Don't get me wrong, it's really hard work but so much fun. Believe me, you haven't been to Bryanston unless you've trawled through the charity shops in Blandford trying to find an awesome fancy dress costume. Seriously though, it's really good fun.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! Yes, one of my friends went last year (but for Advanced, and he still said there was a massive workload, I'll have to try and tackle that) and really recommended it. I've heard of some...interesting stories from him.

And I'm a massive charity shop freak so your last point sounds brilliant. Any opportunity to wear said fancy dress?
Reply 3
I was considering the JACT Class Civ / Ancient History summer school this year, but after finding out that it overlaps with my school's music tour I wasn't too keen. Just looked up the Greek one - it looks amazing! Can't imagine it's particularly cheap, though. Do you know where I could get the information for that, or will I have to apply for a pack?
Reply 4
I've applied and it's my first time, what should I expect? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jessikat
I was considering the JACT Class Civ / Ancient History summer school this year, but after finding out that it overlaps with my school's music tour I wasn't too keen. Just looked up the Greek one - it looks amazing! Can't imagine it's particularly cheap, though. Do you know where I could get the information for that, or will I have to apply for a pack?

I sent off for one by post, the address is here: http://www.jact.org/summer_schools.html . You get loads of information back, like a brochure, application form and dates.

Original post by darkducki

Not helpful perhaps, but hello fellow-first timer! Glad to hear I'm not alone. :smile:
Reply 6
I'm going. I'm going. :biggrin:

I studied Latin for GCSE but I want to refresh myself for when I go to university. It'll be my first time on the course but it sounds so exciting. :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the reply! Yes, one of my friends went last year (but for Advanced, and he still said there was a massive workload, I'll have to try and tackle that) and really recommended it. I've heard of some...interesting stories from him.

And I'm a massive charity shop freak so your last point sounds brilliant. Any opportunity to wear said fancy dress?

Yeah it's definitely hard work, but it's worth it. Sooooo many interesting stories. Yes of course there's opportunity to wear fancy dress. We had two fancy dress parties, Alice in Wonderland and What I want to be when I grow up. I went as Tweedle Dum and spent most of the night being hugged by various Tweedle Dees. Very very amusing.

Original post by Jessikat

I think you'll have to email Elizabeth Warren. She organises it all :]

Original post by darkducki

You should expect...to make awesome friends who you will keep in contact with, to learn lots and lots of Greek, to revise, to learn lots and lots, to get involve with everything that is offered to you (I'd recommend the plays), to spend time in a beautiful boarding school, laugh a lot and generally have a super awesome time.
Reply 8
Woah, that sounds great! Looking forward to the summer now! :smile:
Reply 9
I applied as well!
Reply 10
Xairete guys,

Does anyone by any chance still have their application form and can scan it or has an idea where one could get an electronic version from? (in order to meet the deadline without having a hard copy right now)...

That'd de really helpful cos my friend just thought she might apply but the deadline is coming up :frown:
Reply 11
I got a place! I will be in Bryanston in the summer! :woo:
When do you find out if you've got a place or not?
Reply 14
Original post by classicslover94

Was wondering this too, haven't heard back from them either. Deadline was last month though and I applied in January so should be soon.

Ooh I'll join. Thanks!
Reply 15
Original post by classicslover94

Was wondering this too, haven't heard back from them either. Deadline was last month though and I applied in January so should be soon.

Oh I missed this. If you have a reason why you have to know earlier (I had to book flights, for example), you can e-mail Mrs Warren and she will let you know. She said that letters would be posted this week as well. Hope that helps and hopefully see you there!
Reply 16
Why are there only girls in the group?
Reply 17
I'm going to Bryanston this summer :biggrin: Never been before, but looking forward to it all the same.
Anyone in the advanced class?
Hi! I'm going for the first time- I just got my letter of acceptance :smile: I'm a complete beginner doing Greek.
Reply 19
Original post by ollie31770
Why are there only girls in the group?

I noticed that, I have no idea. But don't worry, there will be boys!
Original post by -becca-
I'm going to Bryanston this summer :biggrin: Never been before, but looking forward to it all the same.
Anyone in the advanced class?

Yes, I'll be advanced!

Quick Reply

Latest