The Student Room Group

Do you love your parents?

Scroll to see replies

They drive me absolutely insane (major understatement actually!) and we're not particularly close but I know they will always be here for me through thick and thin and I will be for them too. So yeah I do although I've never said it. I've had a good upbringing and I appreciate that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Do they tell you they love you?

My husband and his mother are like that. They love each other, but they never ever say it. I remember about 5 years ago my husband had an urge to tell his mother that he loves her, and it took him about two months to pluck up the guts to tell her. When he finally told her she was flabbergasted. She said it back, and asked him if he was ill or something lol.
They've not said it since.

I tell my mother I love her every time I speak to her. Same for my dad. And I tell my kids (and they tell me) about 27359723598234 times a day haha. I can't imagine not telling them that I love them, or vice versa.

Your husband has a lot of guts, more than you probably realise. I would die for my parents, but I don't think I'd ever have the courage to tell them. If it doesn't seem too much like prying, are either of your children boys?
Reply 42
I love my mum, but we're not all that close. I love my stepdad like a real father and genuinely like and respect him as well. My dad... I love but I wish I didn't, because he's kind of a dick. I said I loved him once and he just didn't say anything back.
Reply 43
Despite our ups and downs, I loved ( and still do) my parents.Neither of them are around anymore unfortunately and they are missed immensely. I never got the chance to say goodbye to them which hurts so much :frown:. I'm a parent myself now.I know my kids love me cos they're always telling me.
I love my mum and dad so much, I really can't think of any words to really describe how much I appreciate them. They've been there for me through everything. When my ex ended it with me last month I was in absolute pieces and I don't know what I could have done without them.
I have a lot of love for my dear mother, and I do love my Dad too.

Unless they've been bad to you, I don't really see how you wouldn't love them, parental love is kind of unconditional.
Original post by TheQuietOne
I don't really feel much for my parents.

Any love I felt just vanished and the trust I had for them has gone. I can't find any feeling for them at all. I can't wait to leave home.

Same here :cry2: All the love, respect and trust I had for mine is now firmly dead and buried, never to be brought up again. It's all lost.

I don't want to sit here and start explaining, but these are the reasons why:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30457186

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1907161
Original post by Freier._.lance
Your husband has a lot of guts, more than you probably realise. I would die for my parents, but I don't think I'd ever have the courage to tell them. If it doesn't seem too much like prying, are either of your children boys?

Yep - got a 6 year old girl, 4 year old boy, 2 year old boy
Original post by kka25
I'm sure you're a great mom and they will grow loving you even more :hugs:

aww thanks :smile:
I do love them, even though they can be absolute nightmares at times, so can I
Original post by Medx5
You're grateful for them having completed their role and this love is shown by your acknowledgment, gratefulness and appreciation of that. Thereby, you do love them.
However, you distinguish between your sense of self and individuality and know that just because they are your parents, you do not have to follow and do everything as they wish and be them. You are not them.
You don't expect anything from them and nor do they expect anything from you.
You do love them, but you know that you are a separate person and you are you.

Probably the same thing is there with me considering the fact that I am going through the 'rebellious' age. (teenager)
That's quite selfish, they have given you so much. There are a lot of people out there that would love parents like yours.
Do they tell you they love you?

I tell my mother I love her every time I speak to her. Same for my dad. And I tell my kids (and they tell me) about 27359723598234 times a day haha. I can't imagine not telling them that I love them, or vice versa.

Good. Keep it up. wheeee :tongue:
Original post by screenager2004
I love my parents (and my sister) very much and would gladly die for any of them. I've got nothing but loyalty for them.

This. I can't imagine not loving my family.
Original post by Freier._.lance
are either of your children boys?

Good question. :biggrin:
Yes -- I love them for the countless things they've done for me, but I can honestly say that they're just objectively wonderful people. I have a lot of respect for them and their opinions on things, and I hope they're proud of the person I'm turning out to be. I have a great relationship with my family, I get quite homesick if I go for too long without visiting home. :cry2:

Awft, I'm all emotional now. :tongue:
Yep - got a 6 year old girl, 4 year old boy, 2 year old boy

Nice. You sound like you have the perfect 'family life'. I have two nephews myself, and I sometimes feel like I have a small idea of what having children would be like.

Original post by Kittythecat
Good question. :biggrin:

Thanks, lol. I thought so.
Original post by Coeusful

I'd prefer it if I weren't cast off as an ungrateful sod because I can't love my parents when they give me everything, gave me life, etc., etc.... As I said, I am grateful for their generosity. I was just wondering if anyone else is like this. I'm marginally worried about it.

Thanks!

I guess if something caused problems in childhood it's likely to result in detachment. I can never find the words to say I love them tbh, even if they say that, I still don't really feel it's really true, and when I say it, it just seems unreal too and just really cheesy. - not that I don't appreciate them or what they do for me... I do appreciate it.. but I don't know. I usually get a bit guilty when they've bought me stuff and then I've never used it but thats as far as I go.

Maybe it's because I'm just not physical in general. If someone tries to hug me I usually just tense up and end up giving them a half hearted pat on the back or simply refusing (ie. I become "paralyzed") and unable to embrace.. although it is a sweet gesture :s-smilie:. I actually feel pretty guilty afterwards. :/.

Hmm Im not sure.. all I can say is.. I think I understand what you mean.
no i dont.
Reply 59
Yes but I don't feel it at all. If you get what I mean. I love my mother but I don't feel that as an emotion in the same way that I feel it for, say, my partner. And we've never been an "I love you" family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending