The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

2012: Psychology In Education Discussion

Hi this is to anyone who has applied for Psychology in Education at Lancaster University for 2012. Have you heard back yet? Whats your offer ? where/what else have you applied for? etc etc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I've got an offer. I did it as my fifth choice (as I applied for medicine for the others) and I got an offer A* A A (maybe cos my personal statement is so different). The others I applied for were: Oxford (rejection), Kings(rejection), Barts (interview) and UCL (pending).

Good luck!

:perv:
:turban:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Ah I see so are you going to do psychology in education or try for medicine then? How come you chose this as your fifth choice? I really want to do this course as its so unique and the things I've read about the department are really positive! I've already done my A levels as well so I'm really eager to hear back as it's either a yes or a no aha!
Reply 3
Sorry for the bad news guys but the course has been cancelled. I've just receieved an email saying that admissions for 2012 have been suspended and the course will no longer take place. I'm so angry and upset right now. However they've offered me a place on the Psychology degree, I presume this'll be the same for other applicants.
Reply 4
:redface: are you actually kidding me????????? Why haven't I been told about this????????
Reply 5
I've just received this email off the woman in charge of the course:

Dear Applicant,

I write regarding your application for the BSc Psychology in Education (PinE) degree. It is with much regret that I must inform you that, for unforeseeable reasons beyond our control, we have suspended admissions to the PinE programme for 2012 and for the foreseeable future. I realise this is likely to be very disappointing news for you. Please be assured that the Department and University will support you in finding an alternative degree programme at Lancaster. The Department of Psychology is able to guarantee you an offer on their BSc Psychology programme, linked to which would be the possibility of taking a Part I (first year) course in Educational Studies (Educating for the 21st Century).

We would also like to inform you of the other available options, which are:

· Consideration for an alternative course at Lancaster University (other than C802 BSc Psychology);

· Substitution of your Lancaster choice with a course at an alternative institution.

.... I'm beyond annoyed. I might've receieved this email because I've already receieved my offer and they obviously had to tell me ASAP. I presume anyone else who's waiting for an offer will find out soon.

I'm so sorry but it's horrible how they can do this so far along. It's literally screwed up my Uni plans and now I don't know what I want to do.
Reply 6
I got the email too now :frown: soooo annoyed! I'd applied for normal psychology there too so might do that, have you any idea what you're gonna do?
Reply 7
I'm so gutted! I tailored my personal statement just for that course. I managed to get all 5 offers but I really wanted to do PinE. I think I'll just end up firming Psychology at Lancaster now.

Why do you think they've cancelled the course? I've emailed them just now. But I think I might phone them tomorrow and ask for an explanation. Urgh!
Guys, don't sweat it, the module choices in Y2 & 3 will probably be available and you'd still have had to do a similar first year in the grounding of psychology. Don't be melodramatic, nobody's life is ruined.
Reply 9
Original post by sevendaughters
Guys, don't sweat it, the module choices in Y2 & 3 will probably be available and you'd still have had to do a similar first year in the grounding of psychology. Don't be melodramatic, nobody's life is ruined.

What do you mean the modules will probably be available? Do you do PinE or Psychology?

It's just frustrating knowing that I got my offer on the 16th November, 2011 and I've been planning on going there for months.
Original post by indie94
What do you mean the modules will probably be available? Do you do PinE or Psychology?

It's just frustrating knowing that I got my offer on the 16th November, 2011 and I've been planning on going there for months.

I don't do either but I know how universities work, they don't just axe things fully, they accomodate, as they have done for you lot. Do you think if the courses bore little relation to each other that they'd let you do them? Have a think.
Reply 11
Indie94 did you get through to them on a phone about why they've cancelled the course?
Original post by villagegirl
Indie94 did you get through to them on a phone about why they've cancelled the course?

They cancelled because there wasn't enough interest/applications for the course. It's a very small course to begin with and it just isn't viable to run with such a small amount of interest.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is. I'm on the first year of PiNE right now and am intercalating, if I come back I can't continue with PiNE and have to transfer to straight psychology which is a complete pain.
Trust me when I say the department are the lovliest department ever and they wouldn't do this out of spite, there are a ridiculous amounts of funding cuts in universities this coming year and if there isn't a good amount of interest they just can't run it with the cuts too. When we started, the number of students taking PiNE for a major this year was around 30/40 (ridiculously small compared to most other course, look at maths and there are thousands of students), this year the numbers must have dwindled even more, it's such a shame.
I wouldn't write off Lancaster just for this though.
Reply 13

I decided not to call them but I emailed them instead. The woman said that there would probably only be around 10 people in the class; which is way too little.

I've alson emailed a woman at the Psychology department and she said that as far as she's aware the Psychology offer should be the same as the PinE one. She also provided me with details regarding the open day on the 29th.

I've just emailed the admin at Lancaster asking them when my offer would be changed over to just plain Psychology and I'm waiting on a reply from them. I think I'll probably get a reply off them tomorrow though.

I'm so disappointed about the situation. I'd have happily gone in a class of just 10 people. I know it's not the 'real experience' of being in a group of like 150 people. But surely that would mean we'd get better grades. Either way I don't think it's possible to do much now. I just wish they'd asked our opinion on being in a small group before cancelling the course altogether.
Reply 14
Original post by NightWatch
They cancelled because there wasn't enough interest/applications for the course. It's a very small course to begin with and it just isn't viable to run with such a small amount of interest.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is. I'm on the first year of PiNE right now and am intercalating, if I come back I can't continue with PiNE and have to transfer to straight psychology which is a complete pain.
Trust me when I say the department are the lovliest department ever and they wouldn't do this out of spite, there are a ridiculous amounts of funding cuts in universities this coming year and if there isn't a good amount of interest they just can't run it with the cuts too. When we started, the number of students taking PiNE for a major this year was around 30/40 (ridiculously small compared to most other course, look at maths and there are thousands of students), this year the numbers must have dwindled even more, it's such a shame.
I wouldn't write off Lancaster just for this though.

I totally understand that it couldn't have been an easy decision for them to make. It's just upsetting that the course was never able to run. I just hope that if I accept to do Psychology the PinE course isn't brought back the year after. Can I ask what intercalating is?

I wouldn't let this situation put me off Lancaster as I've known I've wanted to go there since Year 10. It's just annoying that the course I've been planning on doing for the past year has been cancelled 3 months after me being so happy about receiving an offer.
Reply 15
Original post by indie94
I decided not to call them but I emailed them instead. The woman said that there would probably only be around 10 people in the class; which is way too little.

I've alson emailed a woman at the Psychology department and she said that as far as she's aware the Psychology offer should be the same as the PinE one. She also provided me with details regarding the open day on the 29th.

I've just emailed the admin at Lancaster asking them when my offer would be changed over to just plain Psychology and I'm waiting on a reply from them. I think I'll probably get a reply off them tomorrow though.

I'm so disappointed about the situation. I'd have happily gone in a class of just 10 people. I know it's not the 'real experience' of being in a group of like 150 people. But surely that would mean we'd get better grades. Either way I don't think it's possible to do much now. I just wish they'd asked our opinion on being in a small group before cancelling the course altogether.

I don't think they were thinking of student experience of being in a small group. Its just pure economics. If ten people do the course they still have to run the same amount of seminars, lectures etc as if 40 people did it. They still pay the same lecturers and provide the same facilities. So they did the maths and worked out ten people were not enough to cover the costs/make a profit. The psychology department may well have wanted to proceed anyway but management would certainly take a dim view of the situation as they are responsible for the profitability of the university as a whole.

Universities as a whole are cutting uneconomical courses left, right and centre at the moment. Up to 27% of courses are being cut. Its really terrible for students applying for any of these though and really quite unfair!

Anyway, good luck with your new course whatever you decide to do.

:wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by indie94
I totally understand that it couldn't have been an easy decision for them to make. It's just upsetting that the course was never able to run. I just hope that if I accept to do Psychology the PinE course isn't brought back the year after. Can I ask what intercalating is?

I wouldn't let this situation put me off Lancaster as I've known I've wanted to go there since Year 10. It's just annoying that the course I've been planning on doing for the past year has been cancelled 3 months after me being so happy about receiving an offer.

I can't see it being brought back the year after (going off what the head of first year told me in my meeting) but yeah that would be annoying.
Intercalating = taking a year out of studies. I'm leaving this weekend but rather than withdrawing, I have the option to come back next year and complete the course if I wanted to.
But yeah I completely sympathise, it puts me in a similar position to you and it's a real shame they've had to do that (although in all honesty, there isn't that much TO the PiNE course in the first year, I have one lecture, a lab and one seminar a week on it and we barely cover anything! I can see it being easy to go from straight psychology to PiNE modules tbh. There's a compulsory course called 'Educating in the 21st century' that we do and we do much more work for that and I find it much more interesting, but that's not available as a major subject.)
Whilst I wouldn't take my word for gospel, it's likely you'd have a better ground in educational psychology if you studied straight psychology and then went on to a directional post-grad course tbh.
Original post by indie94
Why do you think they've cancelled the course? I've emailed them just now. But I think I might phone them tomorrow and ask for an explanation. Urgh!

They only have 60 first years on the course anyway, and a lot of those are minor students - a friend of mine took it as her major but did both of the PSYCH modules in her first year as well. She said PinE was a little bit easier, but PSYCH was more interesting, so hopefully you'll enjoy it if you choose to switch to PSYCH instead.
Reply 18
Hi, was just wondering what any people who were planning to do Psychology in education are now planning to do instead? are you going to do the normal Psychology course at Lancaster instead?
Reply 19
Hi, was just wondering what any people who were planning to do Psychology in education are now planning to do instead? are you going to do the normal Psychology course at Lancaster instead?

I'm probably going to be firming Psychology at Lancaster in the next couple of days :smile: you?

Quick Reply

Latest