The Student Room Group

I have exams next week!!

Hi, I have my science exams next week, and I've been revising but not a lot. It seems like there is too much information to take in, and I'm really worried as I want to do chemistry and biology at A level.

My exam board is Edexcel, and I can't find any past papers anywhere. I have the science textbook and the revision guide, but when I sometimes answer the questions I always have to refer to my notes.

We did a mock today (for physics), and I was stuck on a lot of the questions. I think I'm going to fail, can someone help me please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you want us to say tbh?

Your time is better spent revising than reading the replies on this thread.
Reply 2
Original post by Ferdowsi
What do you want us to say tbh?

Your time is better spent revising than reading the replies on this thread.

But how should I revise?

I've written all the notes, and I can't remember many things for physics.
I'm OK with biology and chemistry, but I'll be able to revise those in time.

However, its the struggle to revise all three of them and complete my revision by next Thursday.

I've had the specifications for all three subjects, but I'm sitting here thinking how can I remember/revise all of that?
Why don't you, you know, just do past papers.
There's papers on the websites.
Do what you can without textbooks/notes, go over it and then do all the questions you couldn't do first time round again and write the answers three times- sometimes writing it out more than once helps.
Reply 4
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Why don't you, you know, just do past papers.
There's papers on the websites.
Do what you can without textbooks/notes, go over it and then do all the questions you couldn't do first time round again and write the answers three times- sometimes writing it out more than once helps.

Thank you!

Do you think I'll do OK by doing past papers?

I'm just really worried at the moment.

Are the questions similar every year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by A.K.A...
Thank you!

Do you think I'll do OK by doing past papers?

I'm just really worried at the moment.

Yeah. Most subjects are.
Otherwise just do a really really short, condensed version of notes. Or do what I sometimes do and leave little sticky notes of things you find you forget easily all over the house. I leave them in the bathroom on the door - so you can see it when you're on the loo (I dunno, I find myself reading it), and at the kitchen table and on my mirror and stuff.
Reply 6
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Yeah. Most subjects are.
Otherwise just do a really really short, condensed version of notes. Or do what I sometimes do and leave little sticky notes of things you find you forget easily all over the house. I leave them in the bathroom on the door - so you can see it when you're on the loo (I dunno, I find myself reading it), and at the kitchen table and on my mirror and stuff.

Thank you. But, those past papers are from topic 5-8, I'm doing topic 1-5. The only ones for topic 1-5 are multiple choice questions, and we aren't doing that.
hey! im having the same problem with physics, especially as im resitting bio aswell, but i found out for physics all the equations and formula u need r in the front of the paper, you just need to remember how to use them :smile:
Reply 8
Get off TSR, read the book, do the questions, do the past papers, repeat.
Reply 9
Thank you. But, those past papers are from topic 5-8, I'm doing topic 1-5. The only ones for topic 1-5 are multiple choice questions, and we aren't doing that.

There are no correct past papers easily available as the specifications are in the process of changing. The specification and exams you are taking were first available in November, but only your teacher can give you those (and probably already has as a mock) as the most recent papers are kept on a secure website so teachers can use them as mocks.
Hi, I have my science exams next week, and I've been revising but not a lot. It seems like there is too much information to take in, and I'm really worried as I want to do chemistry and biology at A level.

My exam board is Edexcel, and I can't find any past papers anywhere. I have the science textbook and the revision guide, but when I sometimes answer the questions I always have to refer to my notes.

We did a mock today (for physics), and I was stuck on a lot of the questions. I think I'm going to fail, can someone help me please?

Are you doing the 360 triple science course? Cos I got my physics exam next week too.. :/ mm, yeah the edexcel website has a few papers but usually if you google the ones you want they should come up. I'd say just do test papers and keep revising what you got wrong. You've still got a week, you'll get there in the end :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by hadiyayayaya
Are you doing the 360 triple science course? Cos I got my physics exam next week too.. :/ mm, yeah the edexcel website has a few papers but usually if you google the ones you want they should come up. I'd say just do test papers and keep revising what you got wrong. You've still got a week, you'll get there in the end :smile:

I think I'm doing the multiple choice questions, I hope we are because they're way easier.

My brother has come today so I can't revise, but he'll be going again soon. Do you think it is pointless revising at 8/9 pm.
Reply 12
I'm in exactly the same position, exams next week and feel like there is too much to take in also cant find relevant materials to revise from.
i think all GCSE students are feelin' the heat at the moment :smile: your not alone :smile:
Message me for some past papers that my teacher set for people who are doing physic exam on the 2nd of march
and am doing chemistry on the first of march (edexcel)
I think I'm doing the multiple choice questions, I hope we are because they're way easier.

My brother has come today so I can't revise, but he'll be going again soon. Do you think it is pointless revising at 8/9 pm.

yeah my structureds on the first of march and multiple choice on the second.
not really, depends on you tbh. some people work a lot better at night/early morning than they do any other time.
ive still got a lot of work to do myself for this physics stuff, ive only revised two topics.
Reply 17
Original post by hadiyayayaya
yeah my structureds on the first of march and multiple choice on the second.
not really, depends on you tbh. some people work a lot better at night/early morning than they do any other time.
ive still got a lot of work to do myself for this physics stuff, ive only revised two topics.

I'm getting on well now, I just hate physics because it is so boring! I think biology and chemistry are easy though.
Could anyone please tell me what grade they think I'd get with these results in Biology (I don't understand how they work out grades).

B1a - 40/40
B1b - 40/40
B1 ISA - 27/36
Prac skills - 16/18

B2 Structured - 37/40
B2 Multi Choice - 40/40
B2 ISA - 24/36 (resitting; don't know what happened)
Prac skills - 16/18

B3 - 60/60
Prac skills - 16/18

Thanks very much.
Reply 19
Original post by alexirving2011
Could anyone please tell me what grade they think I'd get with these results in Biology (I don't understand how they work out grades).

B1a - 40/40
B1b - 40/40
B1 ISA - 27/36
Prac skills - 16/18

B2 Structured - 37/40
B2 Multi Choice - 40/40
B2 ISA - 24/36 (resitting; don't know what happened)
Prac skills - 16/18

B3 - 60/60
Prac skills - 16/18

Thanks very much.

Biology is out of 400,
B1a, B1b, B2 structured, B2 multiple choice, B1 IAA, B2 IAA and (just one) Practical skills Assessment are each out of 40 (there is a raw to UMS conversion for the IAAs and PSA, but the IAAs may have to be moderated before that so your marks for these are uncertain)
The final B3 is out of 120, not 60, and is significantly harder than the earlier papers so do not count on getting 120.

You just add the marks together and work out your %
90% or more (so at least 360 for the whole GCSE) - A*
80-89.9 ((or 320-359) - A.

I'd expect you to get an A, or maybe an A* if you improve that B2 IAA and do a decent B3.

Quick Reply

Latest