The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
I know, I didn't have my review until April 4th. They're so slow compared to other unis!

OMG - April 4th - thats staggering! If I get an offer from camberwell or CSM I dont know if I could contain myself long enough from accepting to even wait for Chelsea!
Reply 901
I can't believe it.. I got an interview at Goldsmiths!!

Well done everyone!
Original post by KED
OMG - April 4th - thats staggering! If I get an offer from camberwell or CSM I dont know if I could contain myself long enough from accepting to even wait for Chelsea!

Yeah I can imagine! I was alright because I had another interview on the 31st of March, so it wasn't too long to wait :rolleyes: Maybe they like people to be stressed out wrecks? :biggrin:
Reply 903
Original post by Princeling
I'm sorry, man. :/ I thought your work was good enough to get an interview. Slade seems to have the most random lottery system, because nothing they do makes sense. Good luck with your other unis.

Aww, thank you. And yeah, it seems it doesn't it hahah. But I guess different tutors would have view different portfolios and so different groups of people will have different tastes and preferences. :/ Oh well Good luck with your interview !
Original post by joelchan
Aww, thank you. And yeah, it seems it doesn't it hahah. But I guess different tutors would have view different portfolios and so different groups of people will have different tastes and preferences. :/ Oh well Good luck with your interview !

Thanks man, you too. :tongue:

Original post by Farout
I can't believe it.. I got an interview at Goldsmiths!!

Well done everyone!

Congratulations!! Which day are you? :biggrin:
Original post by Village Whisper
In what way is it "staggering" when I clearly explained that my portfolio had not been looked through? It's not a small price to pay when they don't look do what I'm paying them to do. Out of the 1000+ people who brought their portfolios, I highly doubt I'm the only one they didn't really bother with.

Personally, I think it would have been much fairer for them to request a digital portfolio, where everyone had to send in the same number of images/files. There were some people there who brought so much work they had to take some out in the queue, and even when they'd done that they still had a ridiculous amount. It's not really fair when some people listened to when the tutors said "be selective" at the open day/online, and others brought as much as they could carry. I know I could have made the decision to bring more work, but that's not the point.

You make it sound like a good thing that they see everyone's work first. I think it's a terrible idea, really, considering they don't even look at personal statements/applicant information/grades first. They know that they're not going to accept someone with terrible grades, yet I'm sure there were a fair few people who took their work anyway. They could have at least been a bit selective in who they asked to take their work.

And yes, regardless of whether they look through portfolios properly or not, I think £15 is a lot to pay for them to do what they say they do. If it was really so much hassle for them, they would ask for a digital portfolio. £15 per portfolio is ridiculous. Yeah, they're heavy, and yeah, some might take a while to look through, but they certainly didn't earn it in my case.

Just because you got an interview, don't get all high and mighty about how wonderful the Slade is and how hard everyone works just to allow all of us to offer up our work for them to look at before they reject us. There's no need to sound like you're belittling us just because you got an interview. And before you say it, I'm not saying that because I'm jealous. I actually don't care about the Slade anymore, and no I didn't decide that after getting the email. They're greedy and pretentious.

It is staggering that you are complaing about paying £15, which you chose to do.

I'm intrigued as to how you feel so surely that they didn't look through your portfolio... Quite an assumption.

Allowing people to present their whole portfolio allows students to select the work they wish to be seen. If you want to show 10 finished works, you can. If alternatively you would like to present half a dozen work books and some works in progress, you can. It allows you to present yourself as an artist and I'm surprised that some people, such as yourself, seem to be unhappy with presenting a complete portfolio!

Making the descision to bring more or less work is a personal choice. Bringing a large amount of work does not mean a student hasn't been selective; some people actually make a lot of work!

I've not once said that Slade is wonderful.
I do however think that having an application system where students are able to submit a hard-copy of their portfolio at the first stage of entry is a postive thing. There was a time when all of the institutions used to do this but gone are the days, sadly. I have no doubt that the cost and time involved in such a process has discouraged other instutions in investing in this system of reviewing students work.

I am not belittling you at all. You are, on the other hand, expressing a dislike of a system which allowed the Slade to view your whole portfolio!

Deciding that you 'don't care' about the Slade anymore sounds like a good descision, in your case. You're clearly very unsatisfied with the entry process, for reasons which are seemingly tenuous. It sounds like it is a shame you wasted your time on the entry process for Slade with the conclusions you've come to...
Reply 906
Thanks man, you too. :tongue:

Congratulations!! Which day are you? :biggrin:

Thank you! 22nd March :] whens yours again?
Original post by Farout
Thank you! 22nd March :] whens yours again?

I'm on the 20th. :wink: So I'll tell you all about it when it goes through. I'll quote someone who had the interview last year on the studentroom 2011 thread because it seems really helpful:

"had my goldsmiths interview yesterday, the most intense 20-25 minutes possible, they literary skinned me layer after another but I enjoyed it soooooo much I actually told them. lol.
the whole procedure was odd, we have our photo taken by a student and fill out a form before we go into the interview studio, felt like some TV show elimination process where they line up all our photographs and start extracting people.
three of them, a second year student, and two tutors, the student would take notes, the other guy would closeeeeely study your work and ask what-ever question he likes while the last (the interrogator ) grills and grills and grills. The interrogator is all about finding your strengths and weaknesses, felt like I was in an intense movie scene. Very very intense but I loved every second of it. I was completely honest and just wore my soul on my sleeve, welcomed their challenge with arms wide open LOL
My CSM interview was Nothing compared to this, like this was another league of its own. Left the interview light headed and so euphoric I had to sit down for 20 minutes just calming down."
I'm on the 20th. :wink: So I'll tell you all about it when it goes through. I'll quote someone who had the interview last year on the studentroom 2011 thread because it seems really helpful:

"had my goldsmiths interview yesterday, the most intense 20-25 minutes possible, they literary skinned me layer after another but I enjoyed it soooooo much I actually told them. lol.
the whole procedure was odd, we have our photo taken by a student and fill out a form before we go into the interview studio, felt like some TV show elimination process where they line up all our photographs and start extracting people.
three of them, a second year student, and two tutors, the student would take notes, the other guy would closeeeeely study your work and ask what-ever question he likes while the last (the interrogator ) grills and grills and grills. The interrogator is all about finding your strengths and weaknesses, felt like I was in an intense movie scene. Very very intense but I loved every second of it. I was completely honest and just wore my soul on my sleeve, welcomed their challenge with arms wide open LOL
My CSM interview was Nothing compared to this, like this was another league of its own. Left the interview light headed and so euphoric I had to sit down for 20 minutes just calming down."

oh my god wow
i dont know whether im looking forward to it or im scared
Reply 909

Just before mine, good luck!

That's really useful! Thanks for posting :]
Original post by kaylafrances
oh my god wow
i dont know whether im looking forward to it or im scared

BAFAHA aren't like that at all, or they weren't last year. Just 2 people and no students, and they were both lovely.
Original post by apretentiousartist
It is staggering that you are complaing about paying £15, which you chose to do.

I'm intrigued as to how you feel so surely that they didn't look through your portfolio... Quite an assumption.

Allowing people to present their whole portfolio allows students to select the work they wish to be seen. If you want to show 10 finished works, you can. If alternatively you would like to present half a dozen work books and some works in progress, you can. It allows you to present yourself as an artist and I'm surprised that some people, such as yourself, seem to be unhappy with presenting a complete portfolio!

Making the descision to bring more or less work is a personal choice. Bringing a large amount of work does not mean a student hasn't been selective; some people actually make a lot of work!

I've not once said that Slade is wonderful.
I do however think that having an application system where students are able to submit a hard-copy of their portfolio at the first stage of entry is a postive thing. There was a time when all of the institutions used to do this but gone are the days, sadly. I have no doubt that the cost and time involved in such a process has discouraged other instutions in investing in this system of reviewing students work.

I am not belittling you at all. You are, on the other hand, expressing a dislike of a system which allowed the Slade to view your whole portfolio!

Deciding that you 'don't care' about the Slade anymore sounds like a good descision, in your case. You're clearly very unsatisfied with the entry process, for reasons which are seemingly tenuous. It sounds like it is a shame you wasted your time on the entry process for Slade with the conclusions you've come to...

Please stop saying "staggering", because it really isn't, especially since I have explained my reasons multiple times now. To repeat again: I wouldn't have minded so much if I thought they had looked at my work.

It is not an "assumption" that they had not looked, it was a deduction. I presume you will "be intrigued" to know my reasoning, so here it is: I know this is because they had clearly had a good rummage of my sheets, they had removed two fragile handmade books from a plastic wallet and just shoved them haphazardly back into my case despite my having written a very clear but polite note explaining that they were fragile, and my sketchbooks were all over the place. My most recent work, however, which I spent ages trying to present it in a way that would make it all easy to understand, was still left in its folder (which I also handmade). I might have thought they'd just put everything back in and tied it up again (despite them leaving my other books undone and in a tangle), but the inside is exactly how I left it. Again, maybe they just put them back in the order I had labelled them, since each sheet was numbered which corresponded to an annotation/evaluation in a separate notebook. However, they could not have known the order of the sheets that were in the same number group, since I put them in the order I did them and I forgot to put dates on the backs. Suggesting that they may have kept them in the right order as they looked through them seems ridiculous, considering the complete mess in which they left the rest of my work.

Now, I think from that it is a perfectly valid deduction that they did not look at my most recent work. I am incredibly organised with my work, and everything has to be in the right order. No one but me know what that right order is, and I know when people have looked through my work. Is that enough of an explanation for you?

I'm not even going to bother with half of the rest of the things you said. I don't see why you felt the need to point out that I don't like the application process as if it's something I didn't know; I clearly said I think it's a terrible way of doing it. You sound like you're proving a point, which you're not. That statement doesn't warrant an "on the other hand", either, since it has nothing to do with whether or not you're belittling people.

As for that last bit, I don't appreciate you saying I "wasted my time". That is absolutely none of your business, thank you. But, for your information, I don't feel I've wasted my time at all. Since you've ****** me off so much, I'm not going to comment on that "tenuous" remark either, but for my own sake not yours.

EDIT: LOL@ the negs. If you feel strongly enough to neg me, why not explain it as well?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
BAFAHA aren't like that at all, or they weren't last year. Just 2 people and no students, and they were both lovely.

ah cool thats good then
do they want to know solely about our work or are they more friendly?
ah cool thats good then
do they want to know solely about our work or are they more friendly?

They were pretty interested in you as a person I think, they asked a lot about what I was reading and things I did besides art and my A levels. They looked through every single piece of work I brought which surprised me and focused on a few pieces, and then asked general questions like where I wanted to take my work and why Goldsmiths and why the joint honours instead of the single fine art course. It was really laid back to be honest!
Original post by Village Whisper
Please stop saying "staggering", because it really isn't, especially since I have explained my reasons multiple times now. To repeat again: I wouldn't have minded so much if I thought they had looked at my work.

It is not an "assumption" that they had not looked, it was a deduction. I presume you will "be intrigued" to know my reasoning, so here it is: I know this is because they had clearly had a good rummage of my sheets, they had removed two fragile handmade books from a plastic wallet and just shoved them haphazardly back into my case despite my having written a very clear but polite note explaining that they were fragile, and my sketchbooks were all over the place. My most recent work, however, which I spent ages trying to present it in a way that would make it all easy to understand, was still left in its folder (which I also handmade). I might have thought they'd just put everything back in and tied it up again (despite them leaving my other books undone and in a tangle), but the inside is exactly how I left it. Again, maybe they just put them back in the order I had labelled them, since each sheet was numbered which corresponded to an annotation/evaluation in a separate notebook. However, they could not have known the order of the sheets that were in the same number group, since I put them in the order I did them and I forgot to put dates on the backs. Suggesting that they may have kept them in the right order as they looked through them seems ridiculous, considering the complete mess in which they left the rest of my work.

Now, I think from that it is a perfectly valid deduction that they did not look at my most recent work. I am incredibly organised with my work, and everything has to be in the right order. No one but me know what that right order is, and I know when people have looked through my work. Is that enough of an explanation for you?

I'm not even going to bother with half of the rest of the things you said. I don't see why you felt the need to point out that I don't like the application process as if it's something I didn't know; I clearly said I think it's a terrible way of doing it. You sound like you're proving a point, which you're not. That statement doesn't warrant an "on the other hand", either, since it has nothing to do with whether or not you're belittling people.

As for that last bit, I don't appreciate you saying I "wasted my time". That is absolutely none of your business, thank you. But, for your information, I don't feel I've wasted my time at all. Since you've ****** me off so much, I'm not going to comment on that "tenuous" remark either, but for my own sake not yours.

All the reasons you have stated for them 'not' looking at your work, I think are actually evidence that they did look at it! They 'had a good rummage of your sheets'... That is probably because they were looking at your work! They opened your sketchbooks too? Oh yes! That might be a sign they looked in them too...

It sounds unfortunate that they didn't look in your little folder of most recent work, but that simply seems unlucky.

You don't feel you wasted your time... but you don't like the Slade, and that's not based upon the fact you didn't get an interview... Doesn't add up to me.

Might be a case of bitter reject syndrome.

Atleast you now know that you apparently don't like institutions judging you based upon your portfolio!
Reply 915
Ladies..... please, what has this place turned into?
Agreed.
Original post by Soares
Ladies..... please, what has this place turned into?

stick_figure.gif ?
Reply 918
stick_figure.gif ?

LOLOL Nice one :wink:
Original post by Soares
LOLOL Nice one :wink:

creative dontchu think
but rellyf

Quick Reply

Latest