The Student Room Group

Economics A Level

I'm choosing my fourth AS Level.

I've selected History, English Literature and Politics.

I'm thinking of replacing my French AS with Economics.

I LOVE essays, I find political/economic issues very interesting but I hate sciences and maths! Will I hate economics?

It's the OCR course.

Let me know what you think!
I do the OCR course and isn't too hard, I find it boring because its too much about politics. But if you like that then you will find it interesting. There's hardly any maths tbh, a few calculations but they're really easy and its not scientific at all. It goes well with you're other subjects as well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Troubleinparadise.
I do the OCR course and isn't too hard, I find it boring because its too much about politics. But if you like that then you will find it interesting. There's hardly any maths tbh, a few calculations but they're really easy and its not scientific at all. It goes well with you're other subjects as well :smile:

Ok, that's good.. because I'm not sciency or mathematical at all!
Is it well respected enough for me to apply for Cambridge with those subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by soindie

I LOVE essays, I find political/economic issues very interesting but I hate sciences and maths! Will I hate economics?

It's the OCR course.

OCR AS Economics is VERY EASY. I'd recommend taking it if you have a passion for Economics, it's really rather good. OCR AS French is also fairly easy, but certainly harder than Economics.
Reply 4
Original post by soindie

yes it's more respected than politics
Reply 5
Original post by non
yes it's more respected than politics

I plan on doing Politics to A2. Will I be looked upon badly if I choose to do this, and if I've done both Politics AND Economics?
Reply 6
Original post by JOR2010
OCR AS Economics is VERY EASY. I'd recommend taking it if you have a passion for Economics, it's really rather good. OCR AS French is also fairly easy, but certainly harder than Economics.

In what respect is it easy?
My brother did A2 Economics, and he found the AS actually quite challenging though he found it really interesting.
I'm going to do an Economics AS next year too hopefully. At my school, an A at GCSE is required, but it requires no real maths, the most you have to do is work out a profit percentage change or something like that, which hardly requires any mathematical knowledge.
My brother was going to study both Politics and Economics but in the end just did the Economics because it's more respected and some uni's (like Oxford for example) don't credit both.
And French AS is a massive jump from GCSE (I've just started the AS course) and I'm finding it quite difficult as you're expected to know a lot more French at the top of your head.
Anyway, hope this was helpful :]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by soindie
In what respect is it easy?

The OCR course appears to me to be rather basic - on the microeconomics side, it's basically supply and demand, and some small additions to that; the macroeconomics side is wider, but is mainly focused around AD/AS, macroeconomic objectives and the like. I love it!
Reply 9
OH GOOD GOD. I can't speak for the OCR course but i take the AQA.

I have taken AQA economics, currently in my A2 year. I can honestly say that taking AQA economics is just one stage short of committing a slow, painful suicide. The course is dull and uninteresting. The lessons are so painful that sometimes i just feel like breaking down in tears. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING INTERESTING about AQA economics. God holy crap i just hate it so much. It's the worst time of the week. SWEET JESUS stay away from AQA economics. My goodness i get angry just writing about it. I wish I could have somehow dropped it but I did badly in another AS level so had to keep it on. My mates who manage to drop it after the AS course always go wheeyyyy when they hear that I have a 2 hour economics lesson.

I can't speak for the OCR course of course BUT HOLY COW stay away from the AQA one.
Original post by soindie

I'm not sure about Politics, it wasn't on their 'black list' of subjects, but that was a few years ago. I don't know if its respected but its accepted by them. The other subjects are definitely respected
Original post by soindie

It's the OCR course.

Eng, Economics, Politics and History are all very respected subjects. I thoroughly recommend History/Economics/Politics because you'll be able to use knowledge you have from each subject to help you (they're all very linked...thats the beauty of humanities)

Perhaps change Eng Lit with French but keep Economics (might be slightly biased since I'm planning on doing it at Uni :wink:) I do the OCR course so if you have any questions drop me a PM

Good luck!

EDIT: Dont listen to anybody that says Govt+Pol is not a 'respected' subject. It may be slightly easier relative to the Sciences or whatever but Oxbridge/Any other Good Unis are very unlikely to disregard your application just because of Politics, especially if you end up going for any of the PPE/History&Economics/Economics&Management courses...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending