The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by archie0705
Haha, sorry. Though there is a new sports complex being built in/near Butler, isn't there? Do you know if that will have a swimming pool?

Not that I've heard of. Just the golf course over the road being redeveloped into a new housing estate.

Original post by 8mossc90
Can you go to Klute even if you're not a student and went to a different uni?
My friend went to Durham and he kept going on about it so thought I would check it out while I was up there but not sure if I'd be able to get in

Yup, there aren't any problems with that at all - Klute doesn't discriminate against colleges/universities/non-students/anything any more. People often bring friends up, and I've never heard any problems, apart from with other clubbers.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Awoodrow2
Not that I've heard of. Just the golf course over the road being redeveloped into a new housing estate.

Email I got from Butler "Our multi-use game area (MUGA) will hopefully be completed for viewing when you attend our Open Day. This new facility will allow a range of sports activities:- Tennis; Netball; Basketball; 5-a-side football court)." This is what I was thinking of...no swimming pool clearly
Original post by 8mossc90
Can you go to Klute even if you're not a student and went to a different uni?
My friend went to Durham and he kept going on about it so thought I would check it out while I was up there but not sure if I'd be able to get in

It is a club in the city, not affiliated with the university beyond beyond popular with students. You can go to it, just as you can go to pretty much any club in any city.

Indeed! Our research was better than most RG unis anyway except Oxbridge, ICL, UCL and LSE.
Makes the uni look better though, used to annoy me how I have mates at other RG unis (Manchester, Sheffield, etc.) who think that cus theyre in RG and we were in 1994 makes them better somehow.
Considering a planet themed bar crawl for AstroSoc next term; go round the bars, each is a planet, have to have a drink beginning with the right letter. So far I have

Collingwood Mercury Mango something/Magners
Grey Venus Vimto/Vodka mixer
Trevs - Earth energy drink/
Mary’s Mars - Mocktail/Malibu mixer
Aidans Jupiter J2O/Jack Daniels
Mildert Saturn Squash/Strongbow (1/2)
Butler - Uranus
Ustinov - Neptune

Anyone have any ideas for the gaps or any better ideas for the ones I've already thought of? Do any colleges have college drinks of the relevant letters? I want to put drinks that all bars are likely to have incase the order changes...Thanks =)
Just got back from school to an email saying there was a bomb threat for the DSU and castle today. OMG. :eek:
Reply 4467
I also got that email. Very subtle subject. Usually I skip those emails. Wonder how many actually read it!? Mine came at 23/04/2012, 16:56 from A,C, Dialogue entitled '[ug-year3] MESSAGE ON BEHALF OF THE REGISTRAR'

Here are some reports...

Durham One: Police Treating Bomb Scare 'As A Hoax'

Palatinate Online: Castle and DSU security threat being treated as hoax
Mine said: [taughtpg] MESSAGE ON BEHALF OF THE REGISTRAR. :smile:

I dunno. My seem to be getting warnings and notifications of incidents all the time - at least one a week. Muggings, attacks, robberies etc.

I always thought Durham was a quiet, safe sort of place lol. :redface:
Original post by njff15
I also got that email. Very subtle subject. Usually I skip those emails. Wonder how many actually read it!? Mine came at 23/04/2012, 16:56 from A,C, Dialogue entitled '[ug-year3] MESSAGE ON BEHALF OF THE REGISTRAR'

Here are some reports...

Durham One: Police Treating Bomb Scare 'As A Hoax'

Palatinate Online: Castle and DSU security threat being treated as hoax

"Students were miffed as they were told that they were not allowed to enter the two buildings."
Original post by affinity89
Mine said: [taughtpg] MESSAGE ON BEHALF OF THE REGISTRAR. :smile:

I dunno. My seem to be getting warnings and notifications of incidents all the time - at least one a week. Muggings, attacks, robberies etc.

I always thought Durham was a quiet, safe sort of place lol. :redface:

This is the second bomb scare in around 18 months or so. The last wasn't at the university though, it was around Saddler Street (and the bomb found to be a hoax). I think it was linked to the Union Society inviting the BNP a few months earlier but this was rejected by the police, who I think just said it was a joke. I can't really remember

Dangerous place, y'know :yep:

I never hear about these muggings, attacks and robberies though. Only heard of probably three attacks (via email) in seven years and the usual incidents of flashing (and maybe sexual assault) around the river. Usually when something happens the university make a big song and dance about it, as they want to inform students and make sure they'll be vigilant, as well as to encourage witnesses to come forward. In a city with a higher crime rate, with more incidents, they'll be less news worthy.
I am not questioning what you've said River. :smile: But, just to demonstrate that I am telling the truth :redface: [lol] here are a few of the emails I still have in my uni inbox about things. I know I've deleted quite a few...

Spoiler

FW: safety reminder following incident at weekend
Phil Raine, our Community Police Officer, has highlighted the following,

There have been several reports of thefts from handbags over the weekend in the city. Please ensure valuables are secure at all times. Consider using a purse alarm and security mark your property with a UV pen.
Just a reminder for your safety please:

Avoid walking home alone, stay where it is well lit and consider carrying a personal attack alarm. In residences, keep entrance doors closed, keep windows shut when you leave the room, lock your doors when you leave and lock your doors at night when you go to bed.

By taking these simple safety measures along with students looking out for each other, the risk of such an incident can be reduced.

FW: Student safety issue...
Dear All

One of the hill college students reported that last night on her way back to the viaduct from College at 7pm, she was followed by a young man in a black car. He turned the car round several times to try to get on the same side of the road as her and shouted something at her. When she came across another student as she neared home, he then departed.

She has reported it to the police, so simply wanted to alert people that the route she took past Durham school is isolated in parts, and only has other people walking there intermittently, so to take care and walk accompanied if possible. I would add that if this happens to you, call the police immediately on your mobile and try to write even part of the licence plate in your phone to help the police trace the car.

Also last night, one of our students was egged on South Road whilst returning to College at about 10pm. A car registration number was taken well done that student and police were informed.

Durham remains a very safe place so let us not be over alarmed, but your safety involves you continuing to be sensible and responsible do try to go out and return together don’t leave a student alone.

Take care

One that I think was about students misbehaving in particular lol.

police message
Please read the message below from the police. Durham is a safe place and this sort of thing is unusual, however please be careful and avoid walking home alone when it is dark.

POLICE MESSAGE

Dear Students,

You may have recently seen or heard the extensive media coverage concerning large groups surrounding vehicles in the Saddler Street / Owengate / Bailey areas. The behaviour involved is described as:

. vehicles being surrounded by persons who hammer on the bodywork
. persons trying to gain access to vehicles
. persons acting in a generally loutish manner, together with intimidating and offensive language'.

The vehicles that have been targeted are generally those whose occupants were trying to enter or leave the peninsular. Please be advised that the media are taking a keen interest in this behaviour and are intent on blaming students.

At present, no students have been identified as being responsible for this type of behaviour and it is sincerely hoped that it can be proved otherwise. However, all relevant public and private CCTV opportunities have been identified and will now be used in conjunction with police CCTV and unspecified police patrols, in order to identify those responsible.

It should go without saying that people on the receiving end of such behaviour find this a distressing and often terrifying experience. I am sure that you would not be happy if this happened to a member of your family. So far, as many as five separate incidents have been logged with Durham Police, although it is believed there may be more unreported occurrences.

Sgt Norris of Durham City Police has asked me to point out that the behaviour of Durham University students is now under intense scrutiny from Durham Constabulary and the regional media. If Durham University students have been responsible, it must stop now. It is the intention of Durham Constabulary from now on to arrest any person(s) found indulging in this behaviour. Please be mindful that such an arrest will undoubtedly affect your future lives and careers.

Please return home in a dignified manner, after a night out in the city. Do not become a statistic.

Hello All

There have been several incidents reported recently of suspicious activities by unknown male(s) around various parts of the city including Mill Hill Lane, and Claypath area. One incident reported is of an attempted Sexual Assault. Enquires are ongoing to identify the person(s) responsible, and I would remind everyone that Durham is a safe place. However, I would also ask that care is taken when walking around the city, especially when it is dark.

Please try and walk in groups and not alone. If you have to walk alone, then phone ahead and get a friend to meet you.
Avoid poorly lit areas and stick to areas with good street lighting
Try to walk in the middle of the footpath, away from the road and any dark alleys adjoining the path.
Walk towards oncoming traffic so you can see any potential incidents coming towards you.
Consider carrying a personal attack alarm (I have a quantity available if anyone wants one)
Report any suspicious activity immediately to the Police, trying to give as good a description as possible.

This information is sent out not to cause panic, but instead to keep you informed, and therefore safe.

Thanks very much

Phil

Obviously, there was also the attack on the shop here too.

Dear all,

A number of you may be aware that there has been an incident in the Howlands Shop this morning: apparently a robbery has taken place. I am pleased to be able to tell you that Lesley Harrison, the shop assistant, who was most affected by the incident, is fine and well, if obviously shocked. The police were very quick to respond and are currently investigating, but have given us no reason to believe that there is any need to be abnormally worried about our safety and security on site: they are on site today and we have an admirable number of CCTV cameras here.

The police have cordoned off an area around the shop; you must respect that cordon and please don’t interfere with them going about their business. Instead give them every co-operation that you can. Obviously if anyone was near the shop around 8.30-9.00 this morning and saw anything unusual, please make sure you let me or Jill know.

In terms of personal safety, there is no need to be unduly worried. I would simply reiterate what we say all the time: be sensible in walking around town (especially late at night, when you shouldn’t walk around on your own), keep your flat doors closed and keep a neighbourly eye on each other.

If anyone is unduly worried about what has happened, please chat to any of our various and wonderful support teams: your proctors, our JCR welfare team, the JCR/MCR exec, our resident tutors, Jill or myself.

Best wishes

Also, I am not suggesting that Durham is a crazy dangerous place lol. I am just a little surprised by the frequency of these incident emails. Lancaster is a similar sized city and we only had a couple of incidents involving/aimed at students - two that I can think of - in my three years. :smile: The part of Manchester I am from, known to us there as 'The Real Chatsworth' lol, would no doubt have 10 times the number of incidents lol. :smile:
Reply 4472
I do feel like there have been more e-mails this year about crimes and stuff than in the last few years. My just be because I'm not in Durham this year though.
Original post by Aula
I do feel like there have been more e-mails this year about crimes and stuff than in the last few years. My just be because I'm not in Durham this year though.

Maybe these last 12 months or so. Trying to remember if that guy who was jumped on (by guys who got out of a car), around the hill colleges, was this academic year or last.
Reply 4474
Does anyone know or have experience of what happens if you miss an exam in first year? Do you just resit in August as if you'd failed?
Original post by tc92
Does anyone know or have experience of what happens if you miss an exam in first year? Do you just resit in August as if you'd failed?

Yes, you resit in August, just as if you'd failed it.

The mark is capped, however, which isn't a great worry for first years.

If you miss an exam for medical reasons then inform your coillege and departments. You may be able to apply for a medical concession, allowing you to take the exam as a "first sit" (meaning the mark isn't capped and, if you fail it, you can resit - though you'll have to wait until the following year).
Reply 4476
Original post by River85
Yes, you resit in August, just as if you'd failed it.

The mark is capped, however, which isn't a great worry for first years.

If you miss an exam for medical reasons then inform your coillege and departments. You may be able to apply for a medical concession, allowing you to take the exam as a "first sit" (meaning the mark isn't capped and, if you fail it, you can resit - though you'll have to wait until the following year).

Ok thanks. So that basically won't impact future years and they're not gonna be incredibly fussy and hounding you about it?
Original post by tc92
Ok thanks. So that basically won't impact future years and they're not gonna be incredibly fussy and hounding you about it?

Shouldn't. It'll be just as if you failed the module,

If you re-sit in August, and fail the re-sit, you will still be allowed to progress to the next year providing the failed module isn't a core/prereq module for one of your level two modules.

And, if you pass the August resit, then obviously you'll carry on as normal.

They won't "hound you", unless you perhaps fail to attend a few exams, miss other deadlines, then they may get in touch with your college out of concern.
Anyone know if the library has some sort of priority system for holds?

I reserved a book that was due back today - when I requested it, I was the only person to do so, but now I'm listed as the 2nd hold :s-smilie: This has happened with a couple of other books too, where I've gone from being 2nd to 4th...
Reply 4479
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37286532']Anyone know if the library has some sort of priority system for holds?

I reserved a book that was due back today - when I requested it, I was the only person to do so, but now I'm listed as the 2nd hold :s-smilie: This has happened with a couple of other books too, where I've gone from being 2nd to 4th...

"Yah, Daddy donates to the University every year so that I don't have to wait in line with the rest of the plebs!"

Quick Reply

Latest