The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher History Dissertation

My dissertation for history this year is on the military success of Robert the Bruce which is due in on the 16th of March. I have no clue how to set my dissertation out and have no clue what markers are looking for! My essay work is fine as I have been getting As and Bs in class essays and I got a B in the prelim. How do you structure your disseration and to what extent do you use sources? An exemplar past dissertation would be great if anyone has one saved on their computer just to get an idea of what I need to do! If anyone can get back to me it would be appreciated! :redface: :smile:
The dissertation is meant to be 4000 words long. I'd reccomend two chapters at about 1000 words each and then intro and conclusion at 500 each maybe. It's not that different from an advanced higher essay really just sub-conclude at the end of each chapter or point you make. I'm doing advanced higher history and major stressing about the disseration too. All the best! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by daviddd!1994
The dissertation is meant to be 4000 words long. I'd reccomend two chapters at about 1000 words each and then intro and conclusion at 500 each maybe. It's not that different from an advanced higher essay really just sub-conclude at the end of each chapter or point you make. I'm doing advanced higher history and major stressing about the disseration too. All the best! :biggrin:

Hi, I'm just about to send my dissertation off and it comprises of 3 chapters and an introduction & conclusion. Since I have an extra chapter, my conclusion is shorter - which is slightly worrying me! My sources are embedded in my essay though I don't think I'll score very highly as they usually just state a point and I think my analysis is weak. From an aesthetic point of view, did you take a new page for every chapter heading and did you annotate your bibliography? I'm also wondering if should double space it but I'm not sure
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Darrenh800
Hi, I'm just about to send my dissertation off and it comprises of 3 chapters and an introduction & conclusion. Since I have an extra chapter, my conclusion is shorter - which is slightly worrying me! My sources are embedded in my essay though I don't think I'll score very highly as they usually just state a point and I think my analysis is weak. From an aesthetic point of view, did you take a new page for every chapter heading and did your bibliography? I'm also wondering if we should double space it but I'm not sure

Mine is basically the same and yeah I took a new page for the chapters. I referenced it all but I didn't do a specific bibliography. I doubled spaced my dissertation. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile: are you depending on history for any conditionals?
Reply 4
Mine is basically the same and yeah I took a new page for the chapters. I referenced it all but I didn't do a specific bibliography. I doubled spaced my dissertation. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile: are you depending on history for any conditionals?

Sorry, my OP made no sense because I left stuff out and didn't proof read it. I always freak out over coursework! Not really, Strathclyde did say that I could get AH B + BC as an alternative to BBC in three Highers but Glasgow and Stirling are only interested in my Higher results. How about you?
Original post by Darrenh800
Sorry, my OP made no sense because I left stuff out and didn't proof read it. I always freak out over coursework! Not really, Strathclyde did say that I could get AH B + BC as an alternative to BBC in three Highers but Glasgow and Stirling are only interested in my Higher results. How about you?

I'll be more stressed the night before the exam :eek: . No I don't need it thank god. Got an unconditional to Glasgow for History so taking that up :smile:
Reply 6
I'll be more stressed the night before the exam :eek: . No I don't need it thank god. Got an unconditional to Glasgow for History so taking that up :smile:

Oh cool, I might see you then since Glasgow was my second choice after Edinburgh and it looks increasingly likely that I'll be rejected from their.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending