St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is St.Andrews a good university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by electric-wars

Original post by electric-wars
They aren't lower at St Andrews.

OP: I have also applied to St Andrews and will definitely making it my firm if I receive an offer. Durham and Warwick are also very prestigious so, as others have said, I would suggest making the decision based on the course and where you would prefer to spend 3/4 years of your life rather than just scrutinizing league tables.

Where else have you applied?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
Original post by seregapuchkov
Another thing I've heard is that St Andrews is really good for international students (there are about 40%). As an international student myself, I would prefer this to being surrounded by British people only (not that I mind them :P)

You'll love it. Surprisingly active nightlife with house parties most weeks etc and joining the sports teams also widens your social horizons.

Facilities are amazing for my degree and one of my housemates studies MH and is having a great time.
Reply 22
One other thing: how are students assessed at St Andrews? I read something about oral participation and presentations, and was quite surprised that they have something like that at uni level
Reply 23
One other thing: how are students assessed at St Andrews? I read something about oral participation and presentations, and was quite surprised that they have something like that at uni level

I'd be surprised if universities didn't have oral presentations...
Most history modules are 50% coursework and 50% exam. You usually have 2 essays (usually about 10 topics to choose from) of 2000 words and another source exercise/book review/presentation. Then a 2 hour exam.
That's at sub honours. I'm only in second year so I can't tell you much beyond that.

depends on the subject nearly all have "oral" participation as you have group tutorials. Sometimes this will include giving a presentation specifically and some will also assess contributions as part of your grade.

I don't know specifically for humanities but I believe in science and maths you have to do a presentation on your dissertation as part of your final degree. I know for certain maths and physics do.

Why were you surprised? it's a pretty crucial skill in nearly every job and it provides a good way to assess your ability to think on your feet. Still the exams and coursework are generally a much larger part of your grades (if not the whole thing) especially in sub-honours.
What are languages like at St.Andrews? Teaching/ resources/ year abroad etc...

I have applied for French and Spanish (WIYA). Still waiting for a response but it's good to have information sooner rather than later :smile:
Reply 26
There are some minor points of criticism with St Andrews - the library isn't big enough nor does it have enough resources for the number of students at the University, the Careers Service could be a lot better and the University doesn't do enough to promote its students to employers. Saying that there are most wonderful aspects of St Andrews student life which make it a unique university experience.
Reply 27
Original post by Lucia.
There are some minor points of criticism with St Andrews - the library isn't big enough nor does it have enough resources for the number of students at the University, the Careers Service could be a lot better and the University doesn't do enough to promote its students to employers. Saying that there are most wonderful aspects of St Andrews student life which make it a unique university experience.

The library is a joke. If the university was a quarter of the size it might do.
Reply 28
well, iIve got kinda simillar problem- I mean, I got a conditional offer (35 points) for Spanish and Italian, but meanwhile I was rejected by Edinburgh... Everything about STA seems fine, but it's so small town... I'm afraid I will get bored easily.:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending