Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by Tara09
*waiting patiently* :lazy:

Patience has its limits !
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by annabelisme
I'm A level student applying for eco and math. But I haven't heard back yet... Were your friends applying to the same course as you at Edinburgh?

One for economics sociology and something else and the other for L100, yes.
Hey, I got an offer in December to study Economics and Philosophy,they ask for BBB.
I planning to choose Edinburgh as an insurance choice, but as i can't really come to open day, i don't really know what is uni like. I know there were many posts about it,but its a bit too long to look through :colondollar:
So maybe there is someone who studied Economics or Philosophy? if Yes,then what is teaching like? Course structure,difficulty?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1803
Original post by arnono
hey tout le monde, viva La france, I am also french .

I am applying for Ma economics (glasgow: unconditional, st andrews: no offer yet and edinburgh:no offer yet).

Do u think 15/20 is enough for st andrews or edinburgh (I had 15,03 bac ES option math)??

And does Edinburgh ask for ielts or toelf?:confused::confused:

I think that 15 is way more than enough. As for the language requirements, they will not ask me any since Im doing the OIB(Cité scolaire internationale de Lyon^^). and well done for yougrade(je vais un peu souffrir pour y arriver)mais bon, keep in touch as for the outcome buddy, oki?
Original post by Shaz51
Thanks! This was what I was looking for! :smile:

Mmmm, yes, but I have been feverishly tracking application numbers through UCAS via BBC Education website bulletins since October, and they have consistently stated that, while in general terms applications are down (largely due to reduced numbers of mature students - which kind of makes sense given the fees increase), there are 3 unis where application numbers are actually up, and those are Edinburgh, St Andrews, and the LSE.
This is a subject particularly dear to my heart since I applied to Edinburgh and the LSE...
Original post by tartan lady
Mmmm, yes, but I have been feverishly tracking application numbers through UCAS via BBC Education website bulletins since October, and they have consistently stated that, while in general terms applications are down (largely due to reduced numbers of mature students - which kind of makes sense given the fees increase), there are 3 unis where application numbers are actually up, and those are Edinburgh, St Andrews, and the LSE.
This is a subject particularly dear to my heart since I applied to Edinburgh and the LSE...

What websites did you find this information on? Could you give me the link(s)?
Original post by cricket123
What websites did you find this information on? Could you give me the link(s)?

If you go on to the BBC website, education, and type 'university applications' into the search engine, a whole load of articles come up.
I've also had the Edinburgh situation anecdotally confirmed by a family contact who works there - quote: 'competition unusually fierce'.
I think Edinburgh is one of those places where, for many applying from outside Scotland, the fee increase isn't a huge issue. If they are applying from within the UK, a significant proportion are privately educated and uni fees are still cheaper than school fees; those applying from outside the UK are already resigned to paying a large amount.
Pressure on places at top UK unis is only going to get greater - you only have to look at the threads for Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE etc.
Reply 1807
I got my rejection yesterday! BOOHOO. I applied for Russian and Spanish... I don't actually know why I got rejected. I'm going to send them an email soon asking why, since I did meet the requirement... (im predicted a 34 in IB minus bonus points)

But i'm not too fussed. got an offer from UCL :biggrin:
Reply 1808

I've also had the Edinburgh situation anecdotally confirmed by a family contact who works there - quote: 'competition unusually fierce'.

Is competition unusually fierce across the whole university, or for specific departments?
Original post by Julii92
Is competition unusually fierce across the whole university, or for specific departments?

Well that quote related to a specific department, but given the articles I referred to earlier, looks like competition has increased across the board.
Reply 1810
Well that quote related to a specific department, but given the articles I referred to earlier, looks like competition has increased across the board.

Which department?

here's a link to recently published data.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/scottish_government_praised_as_university_applicants_hold_steady_1_2086415

As you can see, this data is for all Scottish Uni's. TOTAL applications same as last year (only a 0.2% difference), but increase in International Applications of over 25%. Uk and EU student numbers are capped - internationals are not, so you are not in direct competition with them for places, ergo, less competition for places this year, except in a few very high demand courses like medicine, vetMed, where numbers continue to rise.
Original post by mikeandadamsmum
here's a link to recently published data.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/scottish_government_praised_as_university_applicants_hold_steady_1_2086415

As you can see, this data is for all Scottish Uni's. TOTAL applications same as last year (only a 0.2% difference), but increase in International Applications of over 25%. Uk and EU student numbers are capped - internationals are not, so you are not in direct competition with them for places, ergo, less competition for places this year, except in a few very high demand courses like medicine, vetMed, where numbers continue to rise.

Wow! Over a quarter increase in international applications! Incredible! :P

(I'm international haha.)
Original post by cricket123
Wow! Over a quarter increase in international applications! Incredible! :P

(I'm international haha.)

No cap on your numbers so don't worry about it too much! 25% figure is for all Scottish uni's, but I suspect Edinburgh and St Andrews will both have a higher %.

I think it's the exchange rate/economy, Uk is more attractive all of a sudden!
Original post by Julii92
Which department?

I hate to sound lame, but don't think I should reveal; might be misleading if, thinking about it, a more general meaning was intended.
Original post by oxymoronic
Do you mean freshers starts on 13th? Or freshers is the week before and teaching starts on 13th? Isn't that a Thursday?

If you clarify what you mean and when you plan to arrive in Edinburgh I can help you a bit more :smile:

Well I think that the 13th is the day teaching begins... It is a Thursday, but that's the course start date on UCAS :s-smilie:
I can only really arrive on the night of the 12th.
However this suggests that the teaching starts on the 17th.

Thanks for helping :smile:

EDIT:
Original post by oxymoronic
Yeah... that's what I was confused about.

Move in weekend is always a Saturday and Sunday (people come on either day) which is when freshers starts, then teaching starts the following week. There's normally local Edinburgh holiday on the first Monday of semester meaning there's no teaching on that day.

Ahhhh this is really good news for me, excellent - I was really worried about going to Edinburgh because of the start date listed on UCAS. Do you think I will still have time to get everything sorted? Thanks very much for helping :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anyone heard back for physics yet? Getting more and more worried now, as my whole going to uni thing kind of hinges on them giving me an offer or not. If I don't get it, I will have to take a gap year and reapply.

With 4As at AS-level, some decent work experience and a good reference and PS, what are my chances? Recently got rejected from St Andrews, with no reason as of yet. Kind of makes me feel like they expected me to have taken 5 A-levels to compete with other applicants this year, which my college couldn't afford to let me do, apparently.

Anyway, they said in an email that all offers will be out by the end of the month, and with that fast approaching, nerves are setting in. Sucks to be me!
Original post by Oromis263
Has anyone heard back for physics yet? Getting more and more worried now, as my whole going to uni thing kind of hinges on them giving me an offer or not. If I don't get it, I will have to take a gap year and reapply.

With 4As at AS-level, some decent work experience and a good reference and PS, what are my chances? Recently got rejected from St Andrews, with no reason as of yet. Kind of makes me feel like they expected me to have taken 5 A-levels to compete with other applicants this year, which my college couldn't afford to let me do, apparently.

Anyway, they said in an email that all offers will be out by the end of the month, and with that fast approaching, nerves are setting in. Sucks to be me!

Tell me about it. Applied for straight physics October 14th and still nothing. What are your predicted A2 results, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by signalnoise
Tell me about it. Applied for straight physics October 14th and still nothing. What are your predicted A2 results, if you don't mind me asking?

4A*, yours?

p.s. we applied on the same day, crazy.
A*A*A, I'm surprised you got a rejection with grades like that! Hopefully we'll hear back from Edinburgh some time in the next week.
Haha, last minute Oxbridge rush?

Quick Reply

Latest