The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I have to do my presentation this week,
then I've got the abstract and conclusion and it's done! mines on
"the usefulness of offender profiling in aiding the capture and conviction of criminals"
Original post by LittleMissNoface
Has anyone got photos/links/etc of their completed or in-progress EPQ for the artifact?
I'm really curious to the amount I am expected to create in like 80 hours.

My artefact was quite simply my film which I put onto a disc and also YouTube, but to add to it I printed out a DVD cover which had images and short credits on the back etc.
I'm not sure what exam board I am with but I am doing level 2 Dissertation EPQ, and I have no idea what I am doing. My title/question is Do horror films have negative effects on people. But I am nearly at the stage of writing it up and I have no idea what I am doing, I have asked teachers for help but they are no use. Does anyone know where a mark scheme is because I can't find one anywhere. How do you get marks, how much research are you supposed to do?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
Original post by FallenMan
My artefact was quite simply my film which I put onto a disc and also YouTube, but to add to it I printed out a DVD cover which had images and short credits on the back etc.

that's so groovy, is it still on youtube?
I would really like to see it ^^ the only example i've seen is the recycled jewelry.....
that's so groovy, is it still on youtube?
I would really like to see it ^^ the only example i've seen is the recycled jewelry.....

Yup as I literally just completed it all but due to some rough times I had about 2 weeks to do it, so not as good as I had hoped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXaMGgnyxw&context=C369ce9aADOEgsToPDskL2qJx1qSEkPD5ncu6cgfk- but I hope I will get more marks for the DVD case and such. I know someone who made a magazine and another guy that did a horrror exhibition and did a HUGE portfolio on research and such, the artifact really can be any size, it just depends how well it's done, mine seemed a lot smaller compared to his!
What was yours on?
Yup as I literally just completed it all but due to some rough times I had about 2 weeks to do it, so not as good as I had hoped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXaMGgnyxw&context=C369ce9aADOEgsToPDskL2qJx1qSEkPD5ncu6cgfk- but I hope I will get more marks for the DVD case and such. I know someone who made a magazine and another guy that did a horrror exhibition and did a HUGE portfolio on research and such, the artifact really can be any size, it just depends how well it's done, mine seemed a lot smaller compared to his!
What was yours on?

Oooo eerie, I really like the voice over- did you write it? Quite a lovely chanting rhythm to it.
Thank you for the examples, did you enjoy it? was it more fun than stressful?
Our EPQ class have only just started research and such. So I'll have to wait a year and hope I am successful however mine may develop.
Oooo eerie, I really like the voice over- did you write it? Quite a lovely chanting rhythm to it.
Thank you for the examples, did you enjoy it? was it more fun than stressful?
Our EPQ class have only just started research and such. So I'll have to wait a year and hope I am successful however mine may develop.

Yup, I wrote the poem myself-using themes influenced slightly from others, but no words taken from them. Thank you for your lovely comment :smile:

I really enjoyed it-the actual project making and looking at what sources I can use to help was really fun-as you pick the EPQ on something you enjoy-which I personally felt was easier to do a project rather than a written report. To really make sure you have more fun than stress is time management-don't leave it until the last minute as you're not doing it for fun-you're doing it to meet deadlines.

Good luck with your EPQ, can't wait to hear more about it as it progresses!
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of finishing my EPQ now and I've realised I've gone over the 5000 words by about 300 words or so. Does anyone know if I'll get penalised for this? :smile:
Original post by beckycat
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of finishing my EPQ now and I've realised I've gone over the 5000 words by about 300 words or so. Does anyone know if I'll get penalised for this? :smile:

I hope not! mines at aboutt 6500ish and thats without a conclusion or abstract D:

As long as it is relevant it dosent matter at all. I wrote about 11000 words :/ and still got an A*. Good Luckkk :biggrin:

Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
I hope not! mines at aboutt 6500ish and thats without a conclusion or abstract D:

Yeah, the guy above me is right, it doesn't matter as long as it's not waffle. I'm doing mine on philosophical perspectives in popular culture. Just finishing my section on Lost. I planned to do aorund 800 words on each section and it's already 2384 :tongue:

You're really far ahead compared to the people at my school!
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero

I still have to write my conclusion and abstract too, I expect mine to be closer to 6000 words when I'm finished.

Original post by Jackkkkk
As long as it is relevant it dosent matter at all. I wrote about 11000 words :/ and still got an A*. Good Luckkk :biggrin:

Wow, well done! Thank you :smile:
Original post by DemolitionLovers
Yeah, the guy above me is right, it doesn't matter as long as it's not waffle. I'm doing mine on philosophical perspectives in popular culture. Just finishing my section on Lost. I planned to do aorund 800 words on each section and it's already 2384 :tongue:You're really far ahead compared to the people at my school!

Really? At my school everyone's pretty much finished and a lot have already done their presentations. I've got mine in a couple of weeks and starting to get pretty nervous about it :s-smilie: Good luck with your EPQ :smile:
Original post by DemolitionLovers
Yeah, the guy above me is right, it doesn't matter as long as it's not waffle. I'm doing mine on philosophical perspectives in popular culture. Just finishing my section on Lost. I planned to do aorund 800 words on each section and it's already 2384 :tongue:

You're really far ahead compared to the people at my school!

to be fair some people have just finished the literature review in my school :P
Reply 2534

Nope there's a 10% tolerance so 5500 is okay :biggrin:
Reply 2535
Can someone PLEASE provide a good list of slides that I need to include in my presentation? I have a rough idea but I just need to know if what i'm doing is right! :tongue:
Original post by Ashtiany
Can someone PLEASE provide a good list of slides that I need to include in my presentation? I have a rough idea but I just need to know if what i'm doing is right! :tongue:

What you did (Title)
Why you chose it/subjects related to
An overview of the research you did and putting concisely what you learnt-USE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE, and explain it. For example, I did film, I used the term ECU, which I then explained in its context.
A conclusion (if there is one)
What you would do differently/success? Failure? What you learnt.
Time for questions, which you should answer in depth, using knowledge learned.

If you type in EPQ presentation into google, there should be a pdf file that might be of more use than me..did mine today and did one last year
Original post by Ashtiany
Nope there's a 10% tolerance so 5500 is okay :biggrin:

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 2538
What you did (Title)
Why you chose it/subjects related to
An overview of the research you did and putting concisely what you learnt-USE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE, and explain it. For example, I did film, I used the term ECU, which I then explained in its context.
A conclusion (if there is one)
What you would do differently/success? Failure? What you learnt.
Time for questions, which you should answer in depth, using knowledge learned.

If you type in EPQ presentation into google, there should be a pdf file that might be of more use than me..did mine today and did one last year

Thank you!!
What is included in the word count? Does it include titles, footnotes, bibliography?

Quick Reply

Latest