The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Has Nottingham only been rejecting people without an interview or have there been any post-interview rejections yet?
Original post by *Bern1994*
Has Nottingham only been rejecting people without an interview or have there been any post-interview rejections yet?

As far as i know yes.. dont think anyone has been rejected post interview, as they said unless you get an early offer you'll hear one way or the other in late march :smile:
Has anyone else got their interview on tuesday?

Also to those who've had interviews, was there a table between you and there interviewers and how far apart would you say you were?

(I know its a strange question but i'm deciding whether or not i should wear my glasses)

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 943
Original post by <XOXO>

Also to those who've had interviews, was there a table between you and there interviewers and how far apart would you say you were?

(I know its a strange question but i'm deciding whether or not i should wear my glasses)

Yeah there was a table, can't remember really how far apart it was, about half a metre I'd say? I did wear my glasses, I'm actually very near-sighted but don't wear my glasses on a regular basis. But I thought it would give a better impression haha :tongue:
Original post by Fuero
Yeah there was a table, can't remember really how far apart it was, about half a metre I'd say? I did wear my glasses, I'm actually very near-sighted but don't wear my glasses on a regular basis. But I thought it would give a better impression haha :tongue:

Thanks

Yes, something about wearing my glasses makes me feel smarter. :tongue:
Original post by <XOXO>

Yeah there was a table although I to sit on the side so I was very close to one of the interviewers :P
I'm slightly short sighted and can wear glasses but I didn't on that occassion :smile:

Good luck! xD
Reply 946
Anyone got an interview on Thursday (1st March)?
Reply 947
Nottingham Medical Admissions Rejection E-mail
We have updated UCAS with an unsuccessful outcome for your application to study medicine. We would like to explain how we come to our decisions of who we should call for interview.

Stage 1

The first stage is to look at all applications to see that they meet our minimum academic requirements.

For A level candidates this means that you have at least 6 grade A's at GCSE at first sit, taken at one sitting, to include all the sciences (biology chemistry and physics) or the double award (science and additional science) with at least a B in maths and English language AND at A-level have or are predicted three A's at A2 to include biology and chemistry again at first sit. Further information on other accepted academic qualifications are on the web site below.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/undergraduate-courses/routes/medicine-ug/index2.aspx

If you are from other than the UK we would be looking for the equivalent of the above qualifications.

If you are a degree applicant we require a 2:1 in a relevant science degree and A-levels in biology, chemistry and another subject at grade A at first sit. Again if you are applying with other than UK qualifications we would be looking for this equivalent.

If you have not met the minimum academic requirements we would not consider your application further.

We require the UKCAT test unless you have applied for and been given exemption. We do not have a cut off for any particular score but for information the average score was 2480 total.

We require that you have completed our on line questionnaire.

Stage 2

For applicants who have met our academic requirements we then score the application taking into account the following areas:

· Highest 8 GCSE’s (or equivalent) including biology, chemistry, physics (or the science double award), maths and English language;
· UKCAT test results from each of the four components;
· Personal statement and reference;
· Results from the on-line questionnaire.

The above scores are then totalled.

Applicants who completed qualifications other than GCSE’s, or who were exempt from the UKCAT test are considered in separate groups.

We invite the 800 applicants, whose total scores are the highest from each group, for interview.

It is a cumulative score and therefore if you were not selected for interview, it could be that one or more of the sections we scored were just below other applications.

Most of the applications we receive are very strong and this year was no exception. We received over 2700 applications for 246 places.

Further Feedback

If you request further feedback we regret that we will not be able to respond until after the interviews are completed in April and it will be general and perhaps only indicate which area was less good than other applications.

We are sorry to disappoint you. If you are not interviewed here this year and meet our academic requirements you would be welcome to apply next year when your application will be considered as a new application and scored again against all others we receive. Please bear in mind that we do not accept applications from A-level re-sit students or applications from student who have started a different degree.

Students who start a degree course, other than medicine, may be eligible to apply for our graduate 4 year programme on completion of that programme. Further information on other accepted academic qualifications are on the web site below.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/undergraduate-courses/routes/index.aspx.

Wow...helpful
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Simon-
Wow...helpful

i got that earlier... great help! /:
I just got the feedback email earlier too, really not very helpful!
Reply 950
What do they mean by getting 3A's in A2 at first sit?

I phoned admission office and they said that they accept only one resit per module during the 2 years period. So if you resit biology1 twice and you get A grade at A2, then you will not meet their academic criteria!!

This is worrying of course but how would they know that you have retaken any module 2 or 3 times?
Reply 951
Have any internationals had a response after interview?
Original post by satnile

I phoned admission office and they said that they accept only one resit per module during the 2 years period. So if you resit biology1 twice and you get A grade at A2, then you will not meet their academic criteria!!

This is worrying of course but how would they know that you have retaken any module 2 or 3 times?

The only way I can imagine they would know whether you've retaken more than once is by liaising with the exam boards. They do it on results day, so why not before?

As for what 3As at first sit means: this means you take 3 complete A levels over a two year period, achieving grade A. If it takes you three years or more, you won't meet the academic requirements.
Reply 953
Original post by satnile

I'm glad someone asked that. :P I read on the frequently asked questions that they only accept one resit per subject and that's only for AS. They don't accept any module resits in A2. I spoke with the UCAS teacher at my school and she's adamant that they won't know how many times you've resat something. I'm not sure if the resit thing is true for this year, because there is no mention of it on the UCAS offer letter or on the offer letter sent to us from Nottingham. Wouldn't want to risk it either way but does anyone know anything else? Cheers x
Original post by lupon7
I'm glad someone asked that. :P I read on the frequently asked questions that they only accept one resit per subject and that's only for AS. They don't accept any module resits in A2. I spoke with the UCAS teacher at my school and she's adamant that they won't know how many times you've resat something. I'm not sure if the resit thing is true for this year, because there is no mention of it on the UCAS offer letter or on the offer letter sent to us from Nottingham. Wouldn't want to risk it either way but does anyone know anything else? Cheers x

Someone on my interview day went and asked them herself and said that they will allow one resit per subject for AS modules and NO A2 RESITS. It's a bit sneaky of them because they never mentioned it anywhere, did they?

Now, I'm no expert on the whole thing, but I think they do find out whether or not you've re-sat any A2 modules because they see what you get this Thursday (8/03/2012-Results Day!!). However this is all based on hear-say, so don't treat my word as gospel.
Original post by PrismaticCore
Someone on my interview day went and asked them herself and said that they will allow one resit per subject for AS modules and NO A2 RESITS. It's a bit sneaky of them because they never mentioned it anywhere, did they?

Now, I'm no expert on the whole thing, but I think they do find out whether or not you've re-sat any A2 modules because they see what you get this Thursday (8/03/2012-Results Day!!). However this is all based on hear-say, so don't treat my word as gospel.

How exactly do they find out what we get this coming Thursday?

Seeing as some people got offers already, and the offers are (I hope) only conditional on grades, I think they'll allow June resits from Jan if you flop. I think they mean you're not allowed to resit A2 next year if you flop in June
Original post by jamil78613

The same way they do in the summer
Reply 958
Original post by jamil78613

They would probably get the deatiled history of subject resits at AS/A2 from the exam boards. There is only one chance of a resit for A2 module within the 2 years period, however there is a chance for 3 resits for an AS module 1 and 2 resits for an AS module 2.

It can be harsh if there is 2 resits for a valid reason in a single module of one subject only.
Original post by satnile
There is only one chance of a resit for A2 module within the 2 years period, however there is a chance for 3 resits for an AS module 1 and 2 resits for an AS module 2.

It can be harsh if there is 2 resits for a valid reason in a single module of one subject only.

Original post by MuffinMonster
I think they'll allow June resits from Jan if you flop. I think they mean you're not allowed to resit A2 next year if you flop in June

Someone on my interview day went and asked them herself and said that they will allow one resit per subject for AS modules and NO A2 RESITS.

Original post by lupon7
I'm glad someone asked that. :P I read on the frequently asked questions that they only accept one resit per subject and that's only for AS. They don't accept any module resits in A2. I spoke with the UCAS teacher at my school and she's adamant that they won't know how many times you've resat something. I'm not sure if the resit thing is true for this year, because there is no mention of it on the UCAS offer letter.

Why does there seem to be so much discrepancy between what people are saying. Do we have the chance to resit any A2 exams in June or not? I have a feeling that C3 didn't go very well.

Quick Reply

Latest