The Student Room Group

Journalism Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeckyD
Thank you! :smile:
Oooh that's so helpful, thanks! I was a bit wary because at the open day he said only a tiny bit was broadcast journalism and it was heavily focussed on print. Do you know if you get a showreel at the end of the degree at Sheffield?

Well in the first year it is, you don't do any broadcast and it's all very much about learning to write for print. But then in the second year you have broadcast journalism modules all year, we've done radio stuff and TV stuff this year and at the end of this semester we'll be doing a radio 'newsday' where we have a whole day to basically run a radio station and get news and everything. And I believeeee we have another broadcast module next year too.

In year 3 you get the option of either working on a print portfolio or a broadcast portfolio so I'd imagine that you'd definitely have something to show for it. The portfolio makes up part of the NCTJ qualifications we do here and its designed to show off what you do best so I think that's pretty similar to a showreel, must admit that I'm not too sure what that is haha :colondollar:
Reply 81
Just found this topic!

I got an offer from Sheffield yesterday, too. Thank goodness the waiting's over. Part of me is still torn between Bournemouth and Sheffield, but I think the North might just win on this one! Salford's going to be my back up plan.

Anyone definitely putting Sheffield as their firm choice?
Reply 82
has anyone applied for the de montfort journalism course?
if so and you have any questions etc feel free to ask me as im in my first year now and mostly loving it.
bit of general advice, if you've applied for an nctj accredited course, be prepared for some bloody hard work! i doubt i will pass my nctj's this year in all honesty but they're so worth doing!

good luck to you all, journalism is an amazing course to study!
Reply 83
Original post by Liisarr
Just found this topic!

I got an offer from Sheffield yesterday, too. Thank goodness the waiting's over. Part of me is still torn between Bournemouth and Sheffield, but I think the North might just win on this one! Salford's going to be my back up plan.

Anyone definitely putting Sheffield as their firm choice?

I've just firmed Sheffield and put NTU as my insurance :smile:
I know it's early but I've had my heart set on it for ages, aha.
Reply 84
Original post by lauren_a
I've just firmed Sheffield and put NTU as my insurance :smile:
I know it's early but I've had my heart set on it for ages, aha.

That's great! I suppose if you know that's what you really want, there's no point in waiting. I think I'll be making my choices within a week or two, as long as I don't get a sudden change of heart.
I got an offer from Sheffield too :biggrin: I am so excited. I'm so glad that there is a lot of broadcast work, because that's where my strength lies. The first year modules seem pretty good, although I think it will be really challenging. Thank god that the grades you get in the first year does not count towards your final mark! So, who is firming Sheffield?
did any IB or international students get a reply from sheffield?
Reply 87
Original post by ChubbyWatermelon
did any IB or international students get a reply from sheffield?

Nope! Really worried now haha they havent replied to me and people seem to be getting their results back now! (Im international and do the IB). Do you rekon they are just making us wait for longer?? x
Original post by gonchanya
Nope! Really worried now haha they havent replied to me and people seem to be getting their results back now! (Im international and do the IB). Do you rekon they are just making us wait for longer?? x

I KNOW RIGHT! ITS PAINFUL WAITING! i am really worried right now too... maybe they are categorizing it?

im trying to make excuses to calm myself down O.o!
Reply 89
I KNOW RIGHT! ITS PAINFUL WAITING! i am really worried right now too... maybe they are categorizing it?

im trying to make excuses to calm myself down O.o!

hahahah i know me too! good luck with your application, i really hope its just that we are international students. not that they are taking their time to let us down easy :P
hahahah i know me too! good luck with your application, i really hope its just that we are international students. not that they are taking their time to let us down easy :P

i hope so too... still no news.
where are you from? I'm from sri lanka.
Reply 91
i hope so too... still no news.
where are you from? I'm from sri lanka.

Still no news for me either :/ I really hope they reply soon! and Im from Russia (:
Still no news for me either :/ I really hope they reply soon! and Im from Russia (:

Hey, I just got an email from Sheffield (I wrote to them and asked them about my application). They replied, I quote, "we hope to have a decision for you within the next couple of weeks.We had a very high level of applications from international students and so it had taken us a little longer to process them all."

I guess they did segregate the International students from the UK ones.

Thought I should let you know. ^_^
GOT AN OFFER FROM LEEDS! so happy ^_^

(p.s. for those who still hadn't gotten their offer, you should write to them.)
Reply 94
Hey, I just got an email from Sheffield (I wrote to them and asked them about my application). They replied, I quote, "we hope to have a decision for you within the next couple of weeks.We had a very high level of applications from international students and so it had taken us a little longer to process them all."

I guess they did segregate the International students from the UK ones.

Thought I should let you know. ^_^

Oh congratulations on your offer from leeds! did you play to broadcast? I hear its very chill haha :smile:
And thank you thank you thank you so much for letting me know! Also, let me know if you hear from them soon!! and good luck! x
Oh congratulations on your offer from leeds! did you play to broadcast? I hear its very chill haha :smile:
And thank you thank you thank you so much for letting me know! Also, let me know if you hear from them soon!! and good luck! x

yes yes, i applied for broadcast. Yea, i guess its chilled there... i really like their uni though... i mean the environment.

hehe no worries, thought i should relieve some of that stress :biggrin:
Original post by ella-g
has anyone applied for the de montfort journalism course?
if so and you have any questions etc feel free to ask me as im in my first year now and mostly loving it.
bit of general advice, if you've applied for an nctj accredited course, be prepared for some bloody hard work! i doubt i will pass my nctj's this year in all honesty but they're so worth doing!

good luck to you all, journalism is an amazing course to study!

Hey, I have applied for Journalism at De Montford...I have been offered a group interview next month and have to sit an exam. Could really do with some advice as this is the Uni I really want to go to, it seems amazing.
Thanks
Reply 97
GOT AN OFFER FROM LEEDS! so happy ^_^

(p.s. for those who still hadn't gotten their offer, you should write to them.)

Ahhhh you have me really worried now, well done on the offer though! I'm still waiting to hear form Leeds, the only uni left to hear from and the one I want the most!
Are you going to firm it? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BeckyD
Ahhhh you have me really worried now, well done on the offer though! I'm still waiting to hear form Leeds, the only uni left to hear from and the one I want the most!
Are you going to firm it? :smile:

I actually have no idea how to choose. Many people are firming Nottingham Trent and a lotta people say leeds and sheffield are way better... O.O Any advice?

but i think you should write to leeds though... because i wouldn't have gotten my reply if i hadn't emailed them.
Reply 99
I actually have no idea how to choose. Many people are firming Nottingham Trent and a lotta people say leeds and sheffield are way better... O.O Any advice?

but i think you should write to leeds though... because i wouldn't have gotten my reply if i hadn't emailed them.

ohh really, what did you say? I don't want them to think I'm pestering them!

Well I've got offers from Nottingham Trent and Sheffield too, and don't know what to do!
I guess it depends what you want to do because I want to go into presenting etc.. so Broadcast Journalism will be better for me so I want Leeds. But then I love Sheffield!
But I think Sheffield or Leeds will look better rather than Nottingham Trent, it's a tough decision! Trent will definitely be my insurance though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending