The Student Room Group

Which has a better global reputation, exeter or manchester

Which has a better global reputation for econ, exeter or manchester? i know that exeter has a better one in the Uk but i was wondering which has a better global repuation e.g. if i was to get a job in Hong Kong as a banker or w/e..., would a degree for econ in exeter or manchester be better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gary
Which has a better global reputation for econ, exeter or manchester? i know that exeter has a better one in the Uk but i was wondering which has a better global repuation e.g. if i was to get a job in Hong Kong as a banker or w/e..., would a degree for econ in exeter or manchester be better?

Do you think your very first job will be abroad? The name on your degree will only really be of importance for your first few years in employment, then what matters is what you have achieved in the jobs you've had, and how you will improve a firm.

If you plan on working abroad straight out of University, then I guess Manchester is better known, but otherwise, I'd suggest Exeter, as you can always get onto their year in industry, which will help you get a job when you graduate.
Reply 2
Original post by Gary

Globally Manchester is but Exeter is much better for economics and much better recognised in the UK. The world rankings for British universities are really odd, Manchester always appears as one of top 10 UK universities on global league tables while on UK league tables it usually appears somewhere between 20th-30th.
Manchester. Exeter doesn't even have a shadow in the global sense.
Reply 4
I have never heard of Exeter until I begun reading posts here on TSR, lol...

Seriously, if you're considering employment abroad, Manchester is highly recognized and respected. Very rarely would you meet someone who has heard of Exerter. So, if you're investing for a future career outside of the UK, I suggest that you invest it on Manchester.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr. Roxas
I have never heard of Exeter until I begun reading posts here on TSR, lol...

Seriously, if you're considering employment abroad, Manchester is highly recognized and respected. Very rarely would you meet someone who has heard of Exerter. So, if you're investing for a future career outside of the UK, I suggest that you invest it on Manchester.

I totally 100% agree with your first sentance, cause i was in the same position lol, well im still not too sure cause after i graduate i'll probably try to get a job first in the Uk and then go abroad for the rest of my career so i can't really decide
Reply 6
Original post by Gary
I totally 100% agree with your first sentance, cause i was in the same position lol, well im still not too sure cause after i graduate i'll probably try to get a job first in the Uk and then go abroad for the rest of my career so i can't really decide

Manchester pawns Exeter for employment too. http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

Here's a small script from the report:

Employers’ On-Campus Recruitment Promotions

The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the
2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this
analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of
London) and Oxford (see Table 4.2). This is the first time that Cambridge has been ranked
ahead of Manchester, the most-targeted university for the last five years. These universities
have attracted the largest number of top employers for campus careers fairs, local
presentations or other university recruitment promotions. Other popular institutions with
employers include Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, Durham and Leeds.
Reply 7
Overall, would you say manchester is a good uni to study bsc econ? even though its rated quite poorly in the uk university league table
Reply 8
Original post by Gary
Overall, would you say manchester is a good uni to study bsc econ? even though its rated quite poorly in the uk university league table

I wouldn't really say Manchester has quite a poor economics standard despite what the league tables say. I think Manchester is very well established and has a solid global reputation for economics and business degree.
Reply 9
Overall Manchester has the better reputation however I would say Exeter has the better reputation in economics
Reply 10
If you're hoping to do economics go somewhere a bit more prestigious...I mean the grade requirements are all quite high right? I'd look at UCL/LSE/Bristol/Bath...

Manc seems to be going downhill each year in terms of league tables here, and Exeter has only really got in the top 20 of UK tables in the last few years...it doesn't perform internationally. Out of the two, I'd say Manc, but there are far superior places you should check out.
Reply 11
Original post by fnm
If you're hoping to do economics go somewhere a bit more prestigious...I mean the grade requirements are all quite high right? I'd look at UCL/LSE/Bristol/Bath...

Manc seems to be going downhill each year in terms of league tables here, and Exeter has only really got in the top 20 of UK tables in the last few years...it doesn't perform internationally. Out of the two, I'd say Manc, but there are far superior places you should check out.

Yeahh i know that there are far superior places like UCL/LSE/bristol/bath and etc... but i know my potential is like practically AAB so their is no way i could go in to those uni's as the entry requriments for those are A*AA - AAA, thats why i try to stick to uni's which perform relatively well internationally and have entry requirments of AAB :smile:
Reply 12
The top 5 universities for economics are: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and UCL. The next group would perhaps comprise the ff unis: Durham, Bristol, Notts, Edinburgh, Bath and St Andrews. Then you have Bath, Exeter, Manchester, Birmingham and so on. In short, Bath and LSE don't fall in the same group. This is just my opinion, however.

For banking career, check this out: http://news.efinancialcareers.com/53928/which-university-is-best-for-breaking-into-banking/

At undergraduate level in the UK (in no particular order) these are Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics (LSE), UCL, Imperial College London and Warwick. The likes of Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh are also well-regarded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Just wondering, does the 4th as grade matter? does uni look at it? even though this is slightly off topic
Reply 14
The top 5 universities for economics are: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and UCL. The next group would perhaps comprise the ff unis: Durham, Bristol, Notts, Edinburgh, Bath and St Andrews. Then you have Bath, Exeter, Manchester, Birmingham and so on. In short, Bath and LSE don't fall in the same group. This is just my opinion, however.

Oxford doesn't offer straight economics, so I can't to see how it can be classed as in the top five when half of the course is management.
Don't take seriously any answer to this question given by somebody who

a) has not had significant experience working abroad

b) has not had a job
Reply 16
Original post by FDR
Oxford doesn't offer straight economics, so I can't to see how it can be classed as in the top five when half of the course is management.

That is true, but Oxford has a world-class economics department, offers master's and PhD on the field, and has a pool of brilliant, world-renown economists as professors.

http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/index.php/graduate
Reply 17
That is true, but Oxford has a world-class economics department, offers master's and PhD on the field, and has a pool of brilliant, world-renown economists as professors.

http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/index.php/graduate

You're right there - for postgrad, Oxford's economics department is one of the best in the world, but for undergraduate, whilst a degree in 'Economics and Management' will be looked on favourably by employers in sectors such as finance, I imagine that to become an economist, a pure economics degree from somewhere such as Durham/Nottingham/Bristol would be better.
Original post by Gary

Manchester by far. Miles ahead, Manchester. Manchester is in the top 25 internationally.

Exeter isn't a bad uni though.

International, and better global rep- Manchester.
Reply 19
manchester coz its a much bigger uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending