The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkybones
Really hoping they get stuck into the BM4 applications this week. Waiting is so frustrating. Any BM4's got a masters as well?

Yes, I've got an MSc as well; however, I think they only look at your first degree. I don't think a Masters counts for much at all in your application.
Reply 2161
Original post by can'tbearthewait
Bm4 week ahead? How many fast track applicants are on the thread? More than 40?!....

BM4 here, really hoping more of us hear back this week, the wait is driving me crazy :frown:
Reply 2162
Original post by can'tbearthewait
Bm4 week ahead? How many fast track applicants are on the thread? More than 40?!....

There's 23 on the stalking page. Have a horrible feeling it'll be quiet because of the offer day... maybe next week will be the week...
Soton said to me on the phone that BM4 open day for offer holders would be on or around the 27th March (will confirm it when I get a letter) so there's still hope for people waiting to hear from them!
Rejected BM5 on friday
8 A's + 3A*s at GCSE
A*A*A*a at A-level
715 UKCAT average
Had quite a bit of work experience. I suppose my PS let me down. I know it's difficult to get personal feedback, but no harm in trying :/ anyone know who to contact? UG admissions?

Goodluck rest of you!
Original post by TheStudentBoom
Rejected BM5 on friday
8 A's + 3A*s at GCSE
A*A*A*a at A-level
715 UKCAT average
Had quite a bit of work experience. I suppose my PS let me down. I know it's difficult to get personal feedback, but no harm in trying :/ anyone know who to contact? UG admissions?

Goodluck rest of you!

are you a reapplicant?
Reply 2166
former stalker here, in my pain and frustration at waiting for a decision from soton have decided to join!!! AAAAAARRRGG.
Congrats to everyone who has offers, I hate you, but congratulations.
Commiserations to those who got rejected so far, I guess at least you can move on with your lives however!

Hello to all still waiting, I feel and share your pain. Most probably have a different situation to most of you (am an old git, totally ancient, over 30, hideous I know) but the horrid feeling of being in Limbo is the same. Have ONLY applied to soton this year (can't really uproot family etc) so a lot riding on this I guess, as for everyone.

Ah feel marginally better now for sharing. Good luck all, not sure can get through another month of this!
Reply 2167
Original post by mrsmiels
former stalker here, in my pain and frustration at waiting for a decision from soton have decided to join!!! AAAAAARRRGG.
Commiserations to those who got rejected so far, I guess at least you can move on with your lives however!

Hello to all still waiting, I feel and share your pain. Most probably have a different situation to most of you (am an old git, totally ancient, over 30, hideous I know) but the horrid feeling of being in Limbo is the same. Have ONLY applied to soton this year (can't really uproot family etc) so a lot riding on this I guess, as for everyone.

Ah feel marginally better now for sharing. Good luck all, not sure can get through another month of this!

Keep sharing, and good luck - we WILL all get through this somehow (don't know whether the finger nails will survive though!!)
Reply 2168

hey good of you to join, this community is all we have of keeping tabs on the schools lol. How come you didnt apply to BSMS? To my understanding it is only an hour or so away from southampton right? Good to maximize chances.

Does soton interview mature applicants?
Reply 2169
Original post by fuzzycat
Keep sharing, and good luck - we WILL all get through this somehow (don't know whether the finger nails will survive though!!)

Thanks! sharing is goooood lol :smile:

Original post by .eXe
hey good of you to join, this community is all we have of keeping tabs on the schools lol. How come you didnt apply to BSMS? To my understanding it is only an hour or so away from southampton right? Good to maximize chances.

Does soton interview mature applicants?

I did look at applying to other semi-nearby schools, but due to have very small children and wanting to limit disruption and costs, decided on this course of action this time round. However if I don't get in (and, let's face it, the odds aren't great lol) then I may try a different tactic if/when I reapply.
I believe they interview all mature applicants for the BM6 course, however if you are a graduate (as I am) applying to BM4 or 5 I think they only interview in rare cases. The advice I was given by a soton admissions tutor was to apply to both BM4 and BM5 if I was only applying for soton, i.e. I could afford to use two ucas choices for soton, as they consider each application completely separately so that kind of maximises my chances a bit...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2170
Hello everyone,

As for myself, I received my second and third rejections from Edinburgh and Southampton. I asked for feedback from Edinburgh and they said my academic score was very good but the non-academic score was below average. As for SOTON, I'll ask for feedback tonight. However, Edinburgh offered me to apply for the medical sciences program, to which I agreed. I'm still waiting to hear from them. The problem is that where I live, they don't let non-nationals do clinical work and such, and there aren't many extra-currics usually in this country as well. AGHH. So my last hope is Aberdeen in the UK, and I have a plan B in Ireland. But now I'm starting to think a plan B for my plan B (i.e. a plan C :P ) It's just so frustrating, especially the fact that the two rejections came almost two to three weeks apart. Oh, well, c'est la vie. Oh, and a quick question: Do they usually have the A100 in extra if anyone gets all rejections?

Regards,
Hisham.
Reply 2171
Thanks! sharing is goooood lol :smile:

I did look at applying to other semi-nearby schools, but due to have very small children and wanting to limit disruption and costs, decided on this course of action this time round. However if I don't get in (and, let's face it, the odds aren't great lol) then I may try a different tactic if/when I reapply.
I believe they interview all mature applicants for the BM6 course, however if you are a graduate (as I am) applying to BM4 or 5 I think they only interview in rare cases. The advice I was given by a soton admissions tutor was to apply to both BM4 and BM5 if I was only applying for soton, i.e. I could afford to use two ucas choices for soton, as they consider each application completely separately so that kind of maximises my chances a bit...

ah okay, hopefully it will work out then. I doubt soton will contact many people this week as they have the offer day coming up, but keeping fingers crossed.
Good luck!
Original post by fdecas150
lol nice! when was your interview for peninsula? and which did you initially want to go to..?

Interview was in December, possibly the 14th or something? I liked both and wasn't sure which I preferred, so in a way it was good that I got a rejection as that made the decision for me!!! :L Have you had an offer from Peninsula too? :smile:
Original post by JuicylucE
Interview was in December, possibly the 14th or something? I liked both and wasn't sure which I preferred, so in a way it was good that I got a rejection as that made the decision for me!!! :L Have you had an offer from Peninsula too? :smile:

My interview was on the 12th of december (pm), and I feel the exact same way haha and yes I've received an offer from Peninsula. Can't wait to start Uni and start becoming a doctor/surgeon!!! :biggrin:
Reply 2174
Im pretty sure this university is waiting for my bday to send me my inevitable rejection lol
Original post by .eXe
Im pretty sure this university is waiting for my bday to send me my inevitable rejection lol

Mine too :sadnod:
Let's hope today is the day our application get put in the "yes" pile *fingers crossed*
Reply 2177
Original post by HishamG
Oh, and a quick question: Do they usually have the A100 in extra if anyone gets all rejections?

Regards,
Hisham.

I don't think so. Medicine (of any sort) hasnt been available through extra/clearing for many years now, simply due to oversubscription in the 1st place.

So sorry about your rejections, but good luck with plan B/C!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2178
[QUOTE=HazzieB;

Thanks, HazzieB. :smile:
Reply 2179
Just withdrawn my application from Southampton, I've got the offers I want already :smile: I know it's the last chance for quite a few a few of you and, in the highly unlikely event that I were to receive an offer, I hope it goes to one of you guys instead!

Quick Reply

Latest