AQA AS Chemistry UNIT 1: ISA Revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
wow this was jus ................ O_O
Original post by r88ney
My bad, yeah in Unit 2: 112/140 UMS = A
Unit 3 (ISA): 48/60 UMS = A

Ouch! 1 mark away from an A.
Getting a scrape A does not mean you got full raw marks (neither does getting 100% UMS). In your case you got 78/100 Raw marks (111/200 UMS) - still needing 21 marks (99/100) to get 100% UMS, and only 1 more mark (79/100 Raw Marks- 112/200 UMS) to get an A.

How can you not understand how you got lost that mark, you dropped 22 marks in the paper overall. So, it was either due to not understanding the question or just making mistakes. The markscheme (and question paper) is surely out now- so if you remember your answers, you can asses over them to find out where you made the mistakes. You should have asked your teacher last year to get the electronic script of the paper you did, therefore you and your teacher could go over your mistakes- and would have considered if it was worth getting it remarked.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php
Use it to help you understand the grade boundaires.
Qualification: AS
Series: June2011
Unit: CHEM2 - GCE CHEMISTRY UNIT 2
Click the "Convert one mark" - and then the field will be highlighted, and below it will say "Enter you raw mark" (for you, it will be: '78').
Note: Each time you select a field, the page will refresh for every stage.

Oh I didnt really understand the ums thing until I came here :smile:..Well I don't have the funds to really get it remarked :/ meh lol..I repeated anyway I think I did better :P fingers crossed
Original post by Picture~Perfect
I'm going to have to this at some point, I'm a bit worried as I got a C grade last year and I kind of need an A :frown:

I got an E in my isa last year something horrible happened my experiment and the teacher said she couldnt do anything so i lost basically most marks for the easy PSA bit
Original post by Imlovingmyradio
I got an E in my isa last year something horrible happened my experiment and the teacher said she couldnt do anything so i lost basically most marks for the easy PSA bit

That really sucks, if it makes you fee better the first time I did one I got an E.
I don't how I didn't do better with my titration though, I did the experiment perfectly, and the questions weren't that hard :frown:
Reply 64
Original post by HeraXD
is this the first chemistry ISA? coz i've already done that..

The P series is the one on titration.
The Q series is the the SECOND/ RETAKE ISA.

There is no first/second ISA. The ISA'S can be done in any order, but the titration ISA (P series) is meant to be easier (unit 1 revision only needed), so it is usually done first. The retake isa is on enthalpy change (Q series), so it requires revision from unit 2- that's most likely why it is done second.

But, some teachers just make you do both of them straight after eachother; about halfway through the year (February-April).
Reply 65
Original post by Picture~Perfect
That really sucks, if it makes you fee better the first time I did one I got an E.
I don't how I didn't do better with my titration though, I did the experiment perfectly, and the questions weren't that hard :frown:

Last year's paper was pretty easy :|
I think it was because you didn't know how to answer titration calculations properly (due to lack of resources/ teaching/ lack of effort), or it was just because you panicked (as it was your first time doing an A-level ISA) :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
we've got our unit 2 ISA next week :/ really don't think i'm going to be prepared for it, but hopefully the experiment won't be too bad
My accuracy was awful for the practical. (I got 0/4, leading to 4/8 for the practical part of the ISA). This means I only got 27/38, which can only go to a maximum of 39/48. This means i could hve quite possibly got a D. Yay *sarcasm intended*
Reply 68
I got a C grade on my Chemistry AS ISA last year, and I resat the Unit 1 ISA this year and it went down to a D :frown:

I'm in a dilema whether or not to resit the AS Unit 2 ISA, if it's really hard like the unit 1 ISA then there's no point in me doing it, but if it's abit easier I'd like to give it a shot.

Does anyone know how hard this years unit 2 isa is compared to the unit 1 isa?

I'm not asking to cheat, just want to know the difficulty level to decided whether or not I should sit it or not.
Reply 69
Original post by HeraXD
is this the first chemistry ISA? coz i've already done that..

How was it ?
Reply 70
first one was ok, it was mainly just titration stuff the paper was kind of hard, i got a B for that :/
Reply 71
Got the written exam on Wednesday. Going to go through a past paper and then some sheets my teacher's given me. :redface:
Reply 72
Anyone done the A2 ISA practical for AQA Chemistry yet??
Reply 73
Original post by AmyLH
Got the written exam on Wednesday. Going to go through a past paper and then some sheets my teacher's given me. :redface:

You got sheets?!?
In the marking guidlines/teachers notes they are told not to give any resources to revise, to help with the ISA. I surpose they can give ISA past papers, but anything else is not allowed...
Well anyway, good luck with the exam :smile:

P.S=
For the CHEM1 exam I got 77UMS :biggrin:.
Very pleased with the grade boundaries on that, I guess I was not the only one who found that paper difficult. But If i saw those grade boundaires before the test, I would have been looking to get the CAP (100%); 65-70- you could drop 5 marks and still get 100%!

Biggest grade boundary drop ever!

Damn, so If I get B for my ISA and I have gotten a high B for Unit 1 examintion, I need to get atleast 125 UMS (112 UMS being an A), to get an A overall :|
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by r88ney
You got sheets?!?
In the marking guidlines/teachers notes they are told not to give any resources to revise, to help with the ISA. I surpose they can give ISA past papers, but anything else is not allowed...
Well anyway, good luck with the exam :smile:

P.S=
For the CHEM1 exam I got 77UMS :biggrin:.
Very pleased with the grade boundaries on that, I guess I was not the only one who found that paper difficult. But If i saw those grade boundaires before the test, I would have been looking to get the CAP (100%); 65-70- you could drop 5 marks and still get 100%!

Biggest grade boundary drop ever!

Damn, so If I get B for my ISA and I have gotten a high B for Unit 1 examintion, I need to get atleast 125 UMS (112 UMS being an A), to get an A overall :|

Oooh really? We have a moles sheet, a sheet from a previous practical we've been told to go through, and then a booklet with a load of stuff in :redface:

Congrats on your grade!
Reply 75
Original post by AmyLH
Oooh really? We have a moles sheet, a sheet from a previous practical we've been told to go through, and then a booklet with a load of stuff in :redface:

Congrats on your grade!

What did you get?
A load of my friends got 60-72 UMS, so I'm relatively happy with my grade lol.

Your teachers can help you on the chapter for titration calculations, but not actually help/ discuss the ISA (besides tell you what you will be investigating, which is obviously titration- for the first ISA).
If she gave you a booklet and specifcally told you it is to help with the ISA- I don't think that is allowed. I really don't see the reason why resources are not allowed to be given, but that just goes to show how stupid the AQA board are about ISA'S.

I think they should actually give students resources on there website to revise from, that way teachers won't need to help, they just would tell their students to visit the website. This way, it would be fair to all students, in every school/ college.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've got my ISA on Titrations in 2 weeks time. My teacher mentioned that there'll be both Unit 1 and Unit 2 topics on the paper, which annoys me because I don't know my Unit 2 too well... or my Unit 1.. >_>. Better start some revision!v
Reply 77
Original post by The Assassin
I've got my ISA on Titrations in 2 weeks time. My teacher mentioned that there'll be both Unit 1 and Unit 2 topics on the paper, which annoys me because I don't know my Unit 2 too well... or my Unit 1.. >_>. Better start some revision!v

I/We did the ISA before I/we even started doing unit 2 ¬_¬.
I think most people did the ISA before doing unit 2, the titration ISA 'should' contain only unit1 stuff. I wrote 'should', because I can't give away any information regarding the actual ISA paper as I've already done the titration ISA.
Original post by r88ney
I/We did the ISA before I/we even started doing unit 2 ¬_¬.
I think most people did the ISA before doing unit 2, the titration ISA 'should' contain only unit1 stuff. I wrote 'should', because I can't give away any information regarding the actual ISA paper as I've already done the titration ISA.

Only Unit 1? Well, that's good to know. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by The Assassin
Only Unit 1? Well, that's good to know. Thanks. :smile:

Just take a look at the past paper section on my OP (Original Post) under the section Route T: Paper series P.

That should give you a rough idea of how the actual ISA paper will be, and there will obviously some questions which are similar. It's just the general knowledge questions which are difficult to study for, I had to recall GCSE (core/additional/triple science) knowledge to answer a few of them.

Quick Reply

Latest