The Student Room Group

my mum does not want to come to my graduation ceremony!

I asked her today and she was like 'well I am not sure as I am going back home for something', 'we'll see'. When I said that dad was willing to change his dates for his holiday, she said 'well you don't need 2 parents. One is enough. Ask your older siblings as well!'.
But when my sister graduated from her HND course she went there willingly!!!!

I am so upset and told her not to come because I would not buy a ticket for her anyways!
She ignored my comment and did not reply.

She seems so unenthusiastic that it is confirming my fears that she might love my siblings more than me! My father is also happy to discuss my studies, talk to me etc, but she is NEVER like this!
It means so much to me that I am thinking of taking her out of my life.

Am I over-reacting?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.
I take it this isn't an English degree then?
Reply 3
I think it is ridiculous she isn't wanting to come!
But I think you are slightly overreacting by wanting her completely removed from your life, but perhaps that is just because you are just wound up, but I don't know everything that has ever happened.
Perhaps try talking her round to it? Or ask your dad to?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by turbocharged
I take it this isn't an English degree then?

what do you mean? It's a good subject (history).
Reply 5
Remember...she carried you in her womb for 9 months...i don't think you should block her out of your life for such a minor thing...family relationships are important
Reply 6
oh please.

at least your dad and siblings are coming right? Don't be so ungrateful...
My partner's father didn't go to his graduation ceremony but he did go to his daughter's. It is outrageous and whilst your reaction might be something you want to change later, it's coming from a very understandable place.

From reading your post though, I do notice that you mentioned your dad being willing to change his dates and that being the thing that cinched it for her saying you didn't need two parents. She may well have a very good reason for not being able to come or possibly not being able to come that she felt uncomfortable about. The thing is, from the sounds of it, you may have put her in the position where she ended up feeling like she was being compared unfavourably to your dad which upset her. I'm not saying she's right, but do try and understand it from her point of view if you can. You'll know better than me or anyone else here what that is.

If you want her there, you have to admit that to yourself and to her. If she she thinks you don't want her there, what incentive is that for her to come? Be prepared to sacrifice a little pride here, because it is your happiness at stake at the end of the day. It was an argument I doubt either of you wanted to have and there's no point in holding your ground over it now. It'll eat away at you if you do.
Original post by Playa10
Remember...she carried you in her womb for 9 months...i don't think you should block her out of your life for such a minor thing...family relationships are important

Completely untrue. Why favour your family over other people just because you share the same genes? You never asked your mother to spit you out of her vagina. Why would you need to thank her for something you never asked her to do for you? Especially since in many if not most cases that "thank you" is forcefully asked for.

Also, just because she carried you in her womb for 9 months doesn't make her a good person. Plenty of people spit out kids for completely selfish reasons that I'm not going to list here.

Blood may be thicker than water but wtf blood doesn't carry DNA. And if it did, it still wouldn't matter. If you were adopted you'd love your adoptive mother much more than your biological mother.
Reply 9
Original post by Dragonfly07
Completely untrue. Why favour your family over other people just because you share the same genes? You never asked your mother to spit you out of her vagina. Why would you need to thank her for something you never asked her to do for you? Especially since in many if not most cases that "thank you" is forcefully asked for.

Also, just because she carried you in her womb for 9 months doesn't make her a good person. Plenty of people spit out kids for completely selfish reasons that I'm not going to list here.

Blood may be thicker than water but wtf blood doesn't carry DNA. And if it did, it still wouldn't matter. If you were adopted you'd love your adoptive mother much more than your biological mother.

:confused::confused::confused:
Original post by Bac009
:confused::confused::confused:

DNA is in the nucleus. Red blood cells are the main components of bood that make it thick and they have no nucleus or DNA

lol
Reply 11

lol the white blood cells do! but anyway, you know what the phrase means, when you're the same blood, it's not literal is it?
Original post by Pride
lol the white blood cells do! but anyway, you know what the phrase means, when you're the same blood, it's not literal is it?

White blood cells and platelets together form only 0.1% of the formed elements of the blood. Red blood cells form 99.9%.

I know it isn't literal, I just made a joke.
Original post by Anonymous

So is English.
Reply 14

I think he is making fun of your poor grammar and spelling. What on earth is a ceremoney??
I asked her today and she was like 'well I am not sure as I am going back home for something', 'we'll see'. When I said that dad was willing to change his dates for his holiday, she said 'well you don't need 2 parents. One is enough. Ask your older siblings as well!'.
But when my sister graduated from her HND course she went there willingly!!!!

I am so upset and told her not to come because I would not buy a ticket for her anyways!
She ignored my comment and did not reply.

She seems so unenthusiastic that it is confirming my fears that she might love my siblings more than me! My father is also happy to discuss my studies, talk to me etc, but she is NEVER like this!
It means so much to me that I am thinking of taking her out of my life.

Am I over-reacting?

Give me a ticket and I will attend in her place. :smile:

No offence but every subject is a good subject.

X student says "X is a good subject."

Y student says "Y is a good subject."

Z student says "Z is a good subject."
My partner's father didn't go to his graduation ceremony but he did go to his daughter's. It is outrageous and whilst your reaction might be something you want to change later, it's coming from a very understandable place.

From reading your post though, I do notice that you mentioned your dad being willing to change his dates and that being the thing that cinched it for her saying you didn't need two parents. She may well have a very good reason for not being able to come or possibly not being able to come that she felt uncomfortable about. The thing is, from the sounds of it, you may have put her in the position where she ended up feeling like she was being compared unfavourably to your dad which upset her. I'm not saying she's right, but do try and understand it from her point of view if you can. You'll know better than me or anyone else here what that is.

If you want her there, you have to admit that to yourself and to her. If she she thinks you don't want her there, what incentive is that for her to come? Be prepared to sacrifice a little pride here, because it is your happiness at stake at the end of the day. It was an argument I doubt either of you wanted to have and there's no point in holding your ground over it now. It'll eat away at you if you do.

Epic words, sir.
Original post by EffieFlowers
So is English.

So is any subject.

X student says "X is a good subject."

Y student says "Y is a good subject."

Z student says "Z is a good subject."
DNA is in the nucleus. Red blood cells are the main components of bood that make it thick and they have no nucleus or DNA

lol

I'm no scientist, but i had some blood taken for a dna test. :confused:

have the hospital got it wrong :L

Quick Reply

Latest