The Student Room Group

Would it be weird to walk into local newspaper office and ask for job?

I'm not looking for a full-time job just yet (too busy studying), but I've been wanting to do work experience or some kind of internship at a newspaper for ages. I sometimes walk past the main office of the local paper and I've often thought about going in and asking about placements, etc. Would this seem strange? I can't find any contact details online, so I'm not sure how else to find out.
Worst which could happen is they say no, so why not?
Exactly. Why not? Beware though that local print newspapers are in serious decline and mostly pay roughly zilch.
Reply 3
Just walk in with a resume and ask if they have any internship positions available. If not, ask if you can leave your resume with them in case something opens up. I doubt they would think it strange if you approached them in a professional manner.
Go for it. Have lots of ideas for articles, read back-issues of the paper and, if in doubt, offer to make tea and coffee.

Good luck.
Reply 5
I think you'd be best going in and asking for the editor's e-mail address, then sending him/her your CV and explaining you're looking for work experience and what hours you're free.

Beware though a lot of newspapers have stopped doing work experience due to time/space constraints.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to ask about it and if they don't do work experience I'll try somewhere else.
Generally local newspapers are more likely to offer you work experience if you are taking an NCTJ course. It's not essential however. What is essential is persistence.
Reply 8
Original post by Lumen
I'm not looking for a full-time job just yet (too busy studying), but I've been wanting to do work experience or some kind of internship at a newspaper for ages. I sometimes walk past the main office of the local paper and I've often thought about going in and asking about placements, etc. Would this seem strange? I can't find any contact details online, so I'm not sure how else to find out.

Some may see it as desperation but others would see it as confidence.

Go for it.
Reply 9
There is no downside to doing this at all.
Reply 10
Worked for Peter Parker of course...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending