The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Oadby student village...

I am told that Oadby student village is awfully far away from campus so if you decide to do your revision til midnight at the library, you might not be able to take a bus back home. Is that true? :smile:
Reply 1
The normal 80 bus won't be running as it stops at something like 11:30pm but the safety bus run by the SU runs from like 6/7pm until the small hours of the next morning.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Its really not very far, just under 3 miles., so walkable in about 40mins. The 80 bus also runs regularly throughout the day. It does stop at around 11.30pm, but as l3ann3 above says, the saftey bus runs until the early hours of the morning. I've even walked it at 3am when I missed the saftey bus and it was fine. My friend walked it at all hours of the day and night when she was coming back from the library. But if in doubt, the saftey bus is the way forward.

I've graduated now but lived in the Oadby student village for all three years of my degree. I absolutely LOVED it there and given the choice again, would stay there with no hesitation whatsoever.

Please don't decided against Oadby just because of the distance. Its not very far away and are plenty of safe options for travelling at any time between the campus and halls.
Reply 3
Original post by QI Elf
Its really not very far, just under 3 miles., so walkable in about 40mins. The 80 bus also runs regularly throughout the day. It does stop at around 11.30pm, but as l3ann3 above says, the saftey bus runs until the early hours of the morning. I've even walked it at 3am when I missed the saftey bus and it was fine. My friend walked it at all hours of the day and night when she was coming back from the library. But if in doubt, the saftey bus is the way forward.

I've graduated now but lived in the Oadby student village for all three years of my degree. I absolutely LOVED it there and given the choice again, would stay there with no hesitation whatsoever.

Please don't decided against Oadby just because of the distance. Its not very far away and are plenty of safe options for travelling at any time between the campus and halls.

Thank you so much for your feedback :smile:
I might be going to study Law in Leicester this Sept so I'm guessing I will need to do loads of revision in the library?! Do you still recommend Oadby for me?
I also think that most undergrads will live in Oadby so is it easier to make more friends in Oadby? :adore:
Reply 4
Original post by ray_charlene
I might be going to study Law in Leicester this Sept so I'm guessing I will need to do loads of revision in the library?! Do you still recommend Oadby for me?
I also think that most undergrads will live in Oadby so is it easier to make more friends in Oadby? :adore:

Personally, I'd recommend Oadby to anyone. I had a fantastic three years living there. The only people who may want to consider living somewhere else other than in first year would be medics, only because after 1st year they are required to travel to the hospital and can be required to travel to others in the area, for example in Peterborough.

Anyway, medicine is not you're thing so thats not really relevent. Yes you will need to use the library, but so will everyone. That said, I think how much you need to work there depends on your work style. I perfer to work on my own in a room without anyone else around me. As such, I only really used the library for getting books out. I'd take them home and work from my room. Very rarely did I do much in the way of essays or revision in the library. Some do, some don't. I expect you'll find your own style once you start. But yes, I'd still recommend Oadby to you, no questions about that.

It is easy to make friends there, yes, so again can be a great advantage. That said, my main friends throughout university and the ones I've kept in touch with since leaving, only one I met through halls. The others were friends of friends/ met through my course. But thats just me. I know others who have made life long friends with their hall mates from 1st year.
The distance isn't an issue - as other posters have said, the safety bus runs till midnight every night, and on Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays until 4-6am. I've walked from town back to Oadby at night and it's fine - the only thing I would suggest is to consider avoiding crossing the park in the small hours.

For me personally, being a 20 minute bus ride away doesn't cause any issues. People I know who go to unis where they live on campus can't understand what it must be like living away from uni. Conversely, I can't imagine what it would be like living on campus, and to me it would feel like being in a weird holiday camp! I guess it depends what you're used to.

I'd definitely recommend Oadby halls if you can get them - it's pretty much where everyone is and it's going to make your life a lot easier.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ray_charlene

You can revise where you like, your room or the library so don't worry about that. Also as people say there are always safe options and it's definitely not worth missing out on Oadby, which is amazing, for that reason.

I'm a law student and, though you work hard, first year won't be as intense as year 13 for most people. In second and third year you have a lot more work, so if you're having to put massive hours in the library in during first year (don't worry you won't miss out on them, second and third year provide plenty :tongue:) then you're really going to struggle in the two years that count. In fact if you want a TC/Pupillage I'd say it's as important to get involved in extra curriculars in 1st year, so you stand out from the crowd, and just get a 2:1 for it. Certainly don't let that put you off Oadby.
Oadby is full of party animals so don't live there if you are easily distracted. The safety bus does run past midnight but it costs about 2 pounds (?) per trip. Brings you to your doorstep though! Don't even bother considering walking back after dark. It's creepy and also just plain dangerous.
Reply 8
Original post by yellowingfields
Oadby is full of party animals so don't live there if you are easily distracted. The safety bus does run past midnight but it costs about 2 pounds (?) per trip. Brings you to your doorstep though! Don't even bother considering walking back after dark. It's creepy and also just plain dangerous.

Entirely untrue. Yes, people enjoy going out and there are some party animals. But plenty of people are not. I really really do recommend Oadby as a place to stay. I'm very much a non party animal but had the most amazing time there.

As for the saftey bus, personally I think for £2, the service is great. A taxi costs double that, often more. And rarely do you need to be working in the library gone midnight in first year.
Oadby is full of party animals

Rubbish! It's just full of normal people!

I've never read such a bad post on TSR before, I hope people don't take you seriously because that can seriously negatively effect someone's choice.

However, I do know where you're coming from. But that's because people are freshers and they want to enjoy the first year. You make friends easily with nearly everyone, so it's not like people are left out while everyone else is having fun.
Reply 11

Fraid I have to join everyone else in disagreeing with you. Oadby is not full of party animals, Leicester is not Manchester, Newcastle or Leeds and no one has chosen it because of the night life so they are unlikely to be party animals, never mind there to be nearly 4000 of them. Admittedly most people there will go out on a Friday and one other day of the week, but that's just being a Fresher.

If you like the quieter life you will be fine in Oadby and find that most people are the same. I really enjoy going out and went out more in First year than since, but even so me and my mates were just as likely to get excited about getting cheap steaks from Asda at half 9 as we were to get excited about going to Zanzi til late.
Reply 12
I'm in Oadby at the moment and I'm loving it!! The safety bus runs every half hour from outside the SU to wherever you're living at the time (including second/third years!). The last 80 bus is at 11.30pm - I've personally never had an issue with being in the library until late, know a lot of people have walked back drunk from the SU to halls and haven't had an issue but just make sure you don't cut through Vicky Park!

And about Oadby being full of party animals... there'll always be someone somewhere going out every night, but chances are it won't be overly distracting. I know a bunch of lawyers and they've never seemed to have an issue with it, where I am at least people tend to be relatively respectful in the block and try and stay quiet when they come in.
Reply 13
There's also a 30 bus til 11.45 which goes from near Dominos. It's more walking but always handy if your revising at the library :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest