The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4120
Original post by KCosmo
Actually, I'd advise that you call them. There really is no downside to calling them - they can't really hold it against you for wanting to check up on your application. They probably won't make their decision any quicker, but at least you'll have peace of mind that there hasn't been a mistake somewhere. You might as well if it's on your mind- no bad could come of it!

True. But they have been giving me updates, such as signing up to their portal thingy bob about a month ago. Ill wait until mid-march, if nothing then ill ring :smile:
Reply 4121
Original post by sarahoo
I did have an interview, but it may just have been because I'm an international student! The interview was really relaxed and the vibe the interviewers gave off really turned me on to the school. I wasn't very sure of how I felt about LCC at all, and now it's my very high second choice!

Thanks for your reply once again! I've just received an email inviting me to an interview at LCC, I'm so relieved!
What did the interview consist of? I see there's a written examination and then possibly an interview following that if you're successful?
Reply 4122
Hey--mine was just an interview, I didn't wind up having to do the written exam. I've heard different things, it might be a short paper about a movie, or it might be the essay you're supposed to write regarding which area of study you want to go into your final year. I'm not sure if they still do that, they seem to be restructuring the program from what I've read/heard. I don't think it should be too stressful, I think they just want to make sure you can provide insight regarding film and/or why you want to study it.

The interview was very typical, semi casual, though the interviewer was definitely assertive. It was the usual why LCC/why Film/what experience do you have/why an academic study/etc. I showed my showreel/portfolio items, we talked about them, and at the end of the interview, the interviewer offered me a place! All in all, it was a really good experience.
Reply 4123
Original post by sarahoo
Hey--mine was just an interview, I didn't wind up having to do the written exam. I've heard different things, it might be a short paper about a movie, or it might be the essay you're supposed to write regarding which area of study you want to go into your final year. I'm not sure if they still do that, they seem to be restructuring the program from what I've read/heard. I don't think it should be too stressful, I think they just want to make sure you can provide insight regarding film and/or why you want to study it.

The interview was very typical, semi casual, though the interviewer was definitely assertive. It was the usual why LCC/why Film/what experience do you have/why an academic study/etc. I showed my showreel/portfolio items, we talked about them, and at the end of the interview, the interviewer offered me a place! All in all, it was a really good experience.

It sounds like you had a really positive experience at LCC! What sort of things did you have in your show reel?
I'm a bit nervous as I come from a Fine Arts background, and so most of my film work is highly ideas based, as opposed to being particularly aesthetic or technical
Reply 4124
My showreel included a lot of stuff I did while working, clips from short films, adverts, some test footage we shot. It was all over music, so there was no narrative. I wouldn't be worried, though. It is an arts school, and they'll be interested in what you have to say as well as what you have to show. They will want to see that you have an aesthetic inclination, but that you have meaning behind your work will carry just as much importance. Realistically, I think they just want to see that you have a vision and the ambition/passion to create. As long as you're well spoken and passionate, I think you'll be fine :].
Original post by chumm
I applied to solent back in Dec and haven't had a decision, although I'm not doing the same course, they have still sent me a few emails but no solid reply.

What course have you applied for? And also, did you have an interview or were you sent a letter for an interview?
(edited 12 years ago)
I've applied to Goldsmiths Media and Communication and haven't received a reply yet. I've read here and elsewhere that a lot of people are getting interviews. Is there anyone that got a conditional or unconditional offer without attending an interview? Starting to lose hope now!
Original post by chumm
I applied to solent back in Dec and haven't had a decision, although I'm not doing the same course, they have still sent me a few emails but no solid reply.

I've had the same thing, I guess they're probably just taking their time going over the applicants for each subject very carefully then *shrugs*
Reply 4128
--It certainly feels good to have firmed an unconditional offer. I know it's a bit early to do so, but I need to start communicating with them as soon as possible to sort out the documents required to get sufficient support regarding my disabillity.

And I can't wait to travel to Bath. The town looks so great, even for someone who couldn't give two ****s about architecture. The roman and victorian style is still a bit fascinating though.

I would wish that plane tickets to Bristol via Amsterdam didn't cost more than £1000 though. Luckily, tickets to London is about a tenth of that. Now I just got to figuure out what to bring.

I know I'm ranting too much. Hopefully, you too will get where you want to go. :wink: Good luck folks! If you're still waiting for offers, I know what you're going through, but you just need to hang in there and hope for the best. :smile:

Original post by German_Saskia
Napier why you need so long. It's about nearly 5 month now. :confused:

Is Napier your most preferred choice? If not, you shouldn't worry too much about it. They have still got 2 months to make a decision about your application. Good luck, though. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4129
Original post by stifa

Is Napier your most preferred choice? If not, you shouldn't worry too much about it. They have still got 2 months to make a decision about your application. Good luck, though. :smile:

Hey,

no but it will be my insurance if I get an offer. :redface:
Original post by stifa

As far as I know, all the unis have to make their decision by the end of March, or, at least, I remember I read this on UCAS website. Am I wrong?

I'm still waiting for Napier decision too, but it's my 5th choice so I have to admit that I'm not particularly worried about that.
Nottingham said they'd get to by end of FEB LATEST! It's now beginning of March and still no reply :frown: beginning to worry!
Got all my offers as of last night, i'm so excited for September! I think i'm going to firm Newcastle and put Sheffield as my insurance. Good luck to everyone still waiting :smile:
Original post by isengard1
As far as I know, all the unis have to make their decision by the end of March, or, at least, I remember I read this on UCAS website. Am I wrong?

I'm still waiting for Napier decision too, but it's my 5th choice so I have to admit that I'm not particularly worried about that.

They are advised to do so by UCAS, but they can take longer to reply, up to 9th May if I remember well.
Reply 4134
Original post by isengard1

Kind of. They should aim to get their decisions done by 31st March, but the final deadline is 9th May, give or take a day or two. The only difference between they answering before or after the end of March is that you get an extended deadline in the latter case.
Although I'm 85% certain Durham will reject me, I wish they'd get back to me so I can give replies... I just want this whole process to be finished with, it's not fun the 2nd time!
Original post by stifa
Kind of. They should aim to get their decisions done by 31st March, but the final deadline is 9th May, give or take a day or two. The only difference between they answering before or after the end of March is that you get an extended deadline in the latter case.

Ok, got the idea. Thank you :wink:
Reply 4137
Does anyone know about university responses if you apply just after the deadline?

its been four weeks since i made my application to 5 unis for childrens nursing.
3 acknowlegded my application with an email about a week or so later. Waiting this long
is driving me mad!
Reply 4138
Original post by Uni2010!
Does anyone know about university responses if you apply just after the deadline?

its been four weeks since i made my application to 5 unis for childrens nursing.
3 acknowlegded my application with an email about a week or so later. Waiting this long
is driving me mad!

You must be joking! Try waiting 5 months!!! :frown:
Reply 4139
just got an offer for economics at warwick!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending