The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Nietzsche is meh to me now.

It's his attitude that attracts me most, more just because I find him in some strange way quite hilarious because of how obnoxious he is. He's great at rhetoric, and his Genelogy of Morals is great too. His influence on Freud is very noticeable so for me he's not someone I'd toss aside.

Kierkegaard and Heidegger all the way. :cool:

Also - :hat2:
Reply 8101
Original post by Coco_94
Judging by what the cartoon is saying, I imagine it's sometime after Potsdam at the very end of WW2 or post-ww2. Either way, it seems like a criticism of Russian influence in Eastern Europe and fear of the domino effect. It's a cold war thing. So late 40s. That's all the info I can give and it's just inferences from what the cartoon is.

Original post by berryripple
Had a bit of a google but couldn't find out, sorry :erm:

Yeah, all I know is that it's a British or American cartoon from 1940-1950. Thanks though :smile:
Original post by Coco_94
It's his attitude that attracts me most, more just because I find him in some strange way quite hilarious because of how obnoxious he is. He's great at rhetoric, and his Genelogy of Morals is great too. His influence on Freud is very noticeable so for me he's not someone I'd toss aside.

Kierkegaard and Heidegger all the way. :cool:

Also - :hat2:

I'm sure i'll like him when I read more about him, we've just moved off of him in philosophy and moved onto applied ethics :facepalm2: so many arguments just riddled with emotion rather than logic. "oh you can see the bump that's why abortion shouldn't be allowed" lol ok...

I'm reading some political philosophy right now... Robert Nozick :cool:
I'm sure i'll like him when I read more about him, we've just moved off of him in philosophy and moved onto applied ethics :facepalm2: so many arguments just riddled with emotion rather than logic. "oh you can see the bump that's why abortion shouldn't be allowed" lol ok...

I'm reading some political philosophy right now... Robert Nozick :cool:

It's okey, my teacher got asked on Friday the question "If we came from monkeys, why are monkeys still here?"
I got the :lolwhut: look when I said, we didn't come from chimps, we just share a common ancestor.

Yup, that's how the arguments tend to go, usually then followed up with rationalisations and attempt to ground these feelings in some sort of "sense" to make them "right".
Original post by Coco_94
It's okey, my teacher got asked on Friday the question "If we came from monkeys, why are monkeys still here?"
I got the :lolwhut: look when I said, we didn't come from chimps, we just share a common ancestor.

Yup, that's how the arguments tend to go, usually then followed up with rationalisations and attempt to ground these feelings in some sort of "sense" to make them "right".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's brilliant! Applied ethics is good when people listen rather than just getting pissed off at your argument. I said that the idea that God gave people a soul at the moment of conception is a poor argument because whether god exists is a weak platform and straight away people said they didn't like what I said without saying why :facepalm2: they'll need to include that stuff in their essays :yes:

When we start religion i'm sure fireworks will go off :yep:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's brilliant! Applied ethics is good when people listen rather than just getting pissed off at your argument. I said that the idea that God gave people a soul at the moment of conception is a poor argument because whether god exists is a weak platform and straight away people said they didn't like what I said without saying why :facepalm2: they'll need to include that stuff in their essays :yes:

When we start religion i'm sure fireworks will go off :yep:

It was tragic, not because of the question, but because of the reaction to the answer, and to me. ¬_¬

It's not even an argument, it's a claim, a claim with no support to it. Yeah, applied ethics not much happens. Not much happens at all in teh way of discussion, which irritates me so I end up in a conversation with our new ehtics teacher instead, who actually knows his stuff. :woo:

I'm pretty damn sure too!
Original post by Coco_94
It was tragic, not because of the question, but because of the reaction to the answer, and to me. ¬_¬

It's not even an argument, it's a claim, a claim with no support to it. Yeah, applied ethics not much happens. Not much happens at all in teh way of discussion, which irritates me so I end up in a conversation with our new ehtics teacher instead, who actually knows his stuff. :woo:

I'm pretty damn sure too!

how's your Cambridge essay going?
how's your Cambridge essay going?

Not so bad thanks, I've left it for a short period because of a sudden barrage of work. Getting back to it shortly though. Will talk to my teacher about the matter too, since I'm sure school is meant to be listed with it being sent off etc.
Any one know some good books that are worth reading??
I'm currently reading Lord of the Flies and Brave new world, but to be honest, compared to George Orwell's 1984, they are mediocre.
Infact forget about dystopian/utopian books. Give me some good SF books about time travel.
What do you think of this proof of the rotation matrix?

Consider the coordinates x,yC x,y\in \mathbb{C}

The complex expression for these coordinates is z=x+iy z=x+iy

Rotating the coordinates give:

zeiθ ze^{i\theta}
=z(cosθ+isinθ)=z(\cos \theta + i \sin \theta)
=(x+iy)(cosθ+isinθ)==(x+iy)(\cos\theta + i \sin \theta)=
=xcosθ+xisinθ+iycosθysinθ=x\cos \theta + xi\sin\theta + iy\cos \theta -y\sin \theta

In the real plane the translated x coord. is given by the real part and the y choord is given by the imaginary part.

(xy)=({xeiθ}{zeiθ})=(xcosθysinθxsinθ+ysinθ)=(cosθsinθsinθcosθ)(xy) \displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} x' \\y' \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} \Re \{ xe^{i\theta} \} \\ \Im \{ze^{i\theta} \} \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}x\cos\theta -y\sin\theta \\x\sin\theta +y\sin\theta \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} \cos\theta & -\sin\theta \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\y \end{pmatrix}
A quick question: What is the year we will be classed as when applying for university, 2012 or 2013?? Really dumb question i know but i am confused on whether to be looking at prospectuses and going to open days now?
Original post by crazyangelg
A quick question: What is the year we will be classed as when applying for university, 2012 or 2013?? Really dumb question i know but i am confused on whether to be looking at prospectuses and going to open days now?

I'm pretty sure it's 2013. I think most uni's only have 2012 prospectuses at the moment though.
It's probably a good idea to start looking at your options now. :smile:
Original post by RainReader
I'm pretty sure it's 2013. I think most uni's only have 2012 prospectuses at the moment though.
It's probably a good idea to start looking at your options now. :smile:

thank youu :smile:
[scroll] :creep: [/scroll]
I get so confused by UCAS points tables.
I try to work out what grades I need and the only thing I am sure of is that I was lucky to get any grade at all in GCSE maths! :colondollar:

I know the thread's pretty quiet at the moment, but is anyone getting a bit nervous about getting their Jan results back?

I only did one exam but I have a feeling that it didn't go very well...
I think this spoiler is fitting.

Spoiler

And so is this one.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Maybe looking at unis just before exam results was a bad day.
This thread seems dead :frown:
It makes me sad to see that the "Current year x" threads are past their time... Genuinely sad. We used to do a thousand posts in a day, and it was fun. :frown:
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
It makes me sad to see that the "Current year x" threads are past their time... Genuinely sad. We used to do a thousand posts in a day, and it was fun. :frown:

I definitely agree.
Those were the days. :moon:
Original post by Heptapus
I definitely agree.
Those were the days. :moon:

I think most people just got busy and had to do more work etc and then the thread got boring so more people left :frown:

Latest