The Student Room Group

TSR Guitar Society

Hey folks, since there's a piano society, I think there should also be a guitar society! :biggrin: So if you play the guitar (or simply like it) you are welcome to join, just click my signature, or any of the members who have a link in their sigs. You can post about your latest songs, ask for advice (there are some very knowledgeable guitarists in this soc), give advice or just discuss anything guitar-related. Just don't spam

Also introduce yourself on this thread: i.e. what type of guitar you play, your favourite guitarist(s) and a few of your favourite pieces/songs.

Official member list here Join here (PM me or SBC if you haven't been added for a few days).

Members
Mustard-man - I will follow you into the dark (Death cab) | Neon (acoustic) (John Mayer) | Livin' on a prayer (Bon Jovi) | Bach
SunburnedCactus
Demon AS - Composition | In repar solo (John Mayer)|Sample of Why Georgia (John Mayer) [Jack Johnson: Belle - Banana Pancakes - Cupid - Flake - ]Tomorrow Morning] Jimmy Eat World - 23 | Under the bridge (RHCP) | To Zanarkand / Demon's experiments -
Ourkid - [Oasis: Wonderwall - Guess God - Masterplan - talk tonight - Importance of being idle - D'you know what I mean - Whatever - Half the world away - Lyla] [RHCP:Under the bridge] | [The Libertines: Music When the Lights Go Out]
331Sam331 - link
MadCatChiken - link link2 link3
Misogynist - mix
Vector -
Mush - some jamming | 1 | 2 | Be (Marty Friedman)
Stef90 - Collection | Waking the demon (Bullet for my valentine) | Welcome home - metallica | The Trooper (Iron Maiden)
what_apples - Collection of recordings | Garageband composition | Sultans of swing
Artemidoros - Guitar medley | Classical accoustic improvisation | oko
Jake22 - Sweet child of mine (GnR)
Alex_K - collection | Composition(?) | untitle38 | untitled39
Thompsonbassman - youtube channel
Helvete - pedro
Danny_777 - Danny's collection of good stuff
mermania - altitudes
Phalanx - collection
Epitomessence - Blue is the colour
mikeyd85 - The Overdriven - Thunder Power
Blinn - Somewhere over the rainbow
Stratomater136 - myspace
DannyBoy123 - little wing
LonelySoul193 - Call it off - Tegan and Sara

guitarsam11 - Satriani
Lazyrockers - Pride and Joy
MadCatChiken - If I could fly
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:- 20-01-2006 - upload your own recordings
Update:- 22-01-2006 - recording
Update:- 15-02-2006 - first upload by 1337!!
Update:- 01-04-2006 - internet radio, guitar chill out. Contributed by NDGAARONDI
Update:- 20-05-2006 - Classical tabs with midi. Contributed by happy unicycling
Update:- 24-01-2007 - Useful sites 1 2 3 4 Contributed by Think Floyd
Update:- 25-01-2007 - The Edge's guitar sound. Contributed by SunburnedCactus

I was thinking of compiling a 'TSR guitar society music library', i.e. if you have recorded your self playing on the guitar, and wouldn't mind showing off your talent (:smile: ), then upload!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi
I've been learning to play and am just in the process of buying my first guitar.

I'm into indie, classic and new rock.

And i'm likely gona need some advice as to good guitars to buy :p:
Reply 2
My friend would jam on his yamaha electric in our music gcse (year 10) classes; that was what got me interested in the guitar.

I currently play an acoustic cort earth 202 guitar. I'm into any sort of acoustic music. Some rock and indie appeal to me as well.
Reply 3
TommyD
Hi
I've been learning to play and am just in the process of buying my first guitar.

I'm into indie, classic and new rock.

And i'm likely gona need some advice as to good guitars to buy :p:

electric or acoustic?
Reply 4
*shouts from a distance*

"That poll was BIASED!"

:vroam: join this society at your peril.
Reply 5
pianist
*shouts from a distance*

"That poll was BIASED!"

:vroam: join this society at your peril.

:eek: Pianist *runs away*:vroam:

The poll was perfectly fine, I am a neutral agent:wink:
Reply 6
Electric. Am still figuring.

Been told to start with a yamaha pacifica

Not quite sure what thats like :p:
Reply 7
TommyD
Electric. Am still figuring.

Been told to start with a yamaha pacifica

Not quite sure what thats like :p:

yeah, I would of suggested something along those lines. The ones argos sell are pretty good for beginners, and pretty cheap, although you can get them cheaper on ebay.
Reply 8
Argos sells mostly squire guitars i think.

The pacifica is about £200/400 so possibly a bit expensive to begin with.

But im not shy :biggrin:
Reply 9
I guess I'm in the TSR Guitar society now :s:

:vroam:
Reply 10
pianist
I guess I'm in the TSR Guitar society now :s:

:vroam:

It'll be funny to have a Pianist in a guitarist society, you posted in it, so you must of shown some interest
Here's my blurb:

I've been playing for 11 years. I play an Ibanez RG1570 and S470. I like many, many different guitarists and pieces. I mostly play metal/jazz/IDM/classical/vaguely folkish alterna-rock.

Wahey!
Reply 12
11years! Good man
Reply 13
Happy Cycling
Here's my blurb:

I've been playing for 11 years. I play an Ibanez RG1570 and S470. I like many, many different guitarists and pieces. I mostly play metal/jazz/IDM/classical/vaguely folkish alterna-rock.

Wahey!

wow. eleven years...

Im the first girl!!!!! I play an acoustic guitar...its called Crafter and I love it. I nicknamed my guitar (i know im such a dork) Janis. like Janis Joplin.
I love the good ol' rock n' roll. my favorite 3 guitarists are:
Jhonny Winter
Neil Young
saying Jimi Hendrix would be a clichè so i'll say...
Jerry Garcia? yeah. Its all bull though because asking for favorite guitarist is like asking your favorite song...Jimmy Page! arg! so many, so many....
Reply 14
gordon2002
Hey folks, since there's a piano society (and the guitar is better than the piano here), I think there should also be a guitar society.

So if you play the guitar (or simply like it) you are welcome to join, just post a message on here and I'll add you to the list.

Also introduce yourself on this thread: i.e. what type of guitar you play, your favourite guitarist and 3 of your most favourite pieces/songs.

Hey man, great idea! I started playing the guitar in May '05, and now I love it so much, I just can't put it down! In fact, I have it on my lap right now, which shows my dedication to it haha. Wish I was a better player, though :frown:.

My favourite guitar pieces (that I can play) would be Under the Bridge/The Zephyr Song by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Emily by From First to Last, which is an ace acoustic-song.

I play both electric and acoustic, although I have to say, playing the electric seems far, far easier. At least, I think so lol. But some songs are simply made for acoustics, e.g. that Emily song I mentioned, plus anything by Dashboard Confessional, Jack Johnson and John Mayer (three favourites of mine) so I play that, too. Guess that's it about me!
Reply 15
A_Singh
In fact, I have it on my lap right now, which shows my dedication to it haha. Wish I was a better player, though :frown:.

I kind of do that, but sometimes I find my guitar on my lap sitting there for hours whilst I'm on TSR, I then realise when my leg is numb
Reply 16
gordon2002
I kind of do that, but sometimes I find my guitar on my lap sitting there for hours whilst I'm on TSR, I then realise when my leg is numb

Lol, I can well imagine that happening to me. Problem is, I can't have it there, in front of me - on me! - without wanting to play it. So, it's never down for more than three or four minutes, which is about how long it takes to read relevant posts in a thread, and reply. It's an electro-acoustic - not very expensive, Westfield ProSeries. It's quite a nice one :biggrin:
Reply 17
so i have a question...when you are part of a society does something pop up on your profile or do you put it on by yourself? I never did it and i think i already told some people i would take part in their societies but never checked what happened afterwards...
Reply 18
Georgia
so i have a question...when you are part of a society does something pop up on your profile or do you put it on by yourself? I never did it and i think i already told some people i would take part in their societies but never checked what happened afterwards...

You know, I'm not sure. I think I'll check my profile and see, but I don't think that it does...after all, how does TSR know if you're part of a Society? Lol...

You never know!

Edit: I've looked, and there's nothing there telling me what Societies I'm part of...

Which can be annoying, especially if you're part of a lot of them (which, thankfully, I'm not!). Maybe you should write them down somewhere... it's what I'd do lol.
Reply 19
Georgia

lol..... Well the societies when you can apply for on your control panel adds you automatically, i.e. a symbol next to your post count. But the rest you have to add yourself

Latest