The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Hey guys,

I wrote a book when I was 13 and it's published!! I didnt advertise for ages because I was really embarrassed! But hey, I'm proud of it and have nearly finished the second one!
It's a fantasy book, there are a couple of mistakes in it (as would be expected!) It's a very easy read as I was thirteen I wrote quite simply.

Here is the link if any one facies a quick read :smile: Feel free to drop me a comment on what you think!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Darkness-Falls-Sarah-Williams/dp/1434369706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330602833&sr=8-1

Ps....You can even get it on kindle for £2 something :smile: x
Original post by Sarah-W1
I wrote a book when I was 13 and it's published!!

It's self-published. And, what's worse, from a vanity press. :colonhash:
Reply 1982
Point being??? At least Ive written something and am proud of it, you have no write to say something like that k? :smile:
Has anyone read a book from the "50 <x> Ideas You Really Need to Know" series? Are they any good?
i think the bartimaeus trilogy is one of the best in the fantasy genre.. although there has been a 4th book published recently so im not sure if its classified a trilogy anymore but anyway :P
I think 'trilogy' may have become a blanket term for 'big book'. Stephen Donaldson's 'Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant' ended up as nine books and he's recently added another and is working on the eleventh. Lost count of Dune and Usula le Guinn's 'Earthsea Trilogy' became a quartet.

Recommend all of these btw.
A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess) - Science-fiction, Crime
Red Dragon (Thomas Harris) - Crime
The Silence of the Lambs (Thomas Harris) - Crime, Thriller
The Shining (Stephen King) - Horror
Has anyone read Alessandro Baricco's books? If not,i really suggest them all!
Reply 1988
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenina
Hunter S. Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fyodor Dostoevesky - Crime and Punishment

Some non fiction?
Bertrand Russell - A History of Western Philosophy
Noam Chomsky - Understanding Power
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tdawe
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenina
Hunter S. Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fyodor Dostoevesky - Crime and Punishment

Some non fiction?
Bertrand Russell - A History of Western Philosophy
Noam Chomsky - Understanding Power
You have impeccable taste, Sir. :smile:
Reply 1990
Thank you. :smile:
Original post by laura_aka_lolly
I'm looking for good books to read and then review for my new blog. Any suggestions?

My blog is here for anyone interested:
http://oneyearonehundredbooks.blogspot.com/

i loved Rivers of London and Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch - nice, easy read but really good anyway :biggrin:

Original post by Miss Mary
Has anyone read a book from the "50 <x> Ideas You Really Need to Know" series? Are they any good?

my brother has the one about physics (as he's into physics) and he seems pretty into it! i've had a look at a couple of the other ones too and they look okay. its not the kind of book you can just sit down and read though, i think its a coffee table book, you read a bit here and there :tongue:
Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan J Paton. Just read it and it was amazing
Reply 1993
'Let the right one in' is the best thing to come out of the mass publication of Vampire novels.

A lot of Neil Gaiman's novels are worth a read too, even ones written for children!
Reply 1994
I just re-read my favourite series of books- The Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix.
It's a YA series, and it would probably be considered dark fantasy/adventure. It has an amazing magic and necromancy system (in my opinion, it even beats HP in that regard), and reads really realistically. It also manages to have talking animals that don't draw the book away from the serious themes- how Nix manages this, I'm not entirely sure...
Anyway, they're worth reading and I can't praise them highly enough!
Ok so I got a book certificate for a local book store for Christmas, but never got around to using it!

I headed down to the store, trying to figure out what to buy.

I got Dreams from my Father, by Obama.

I've still got about 20£ worth of certificate left - enough for two good paperback books.

I've got a lot of interests, including cricket, business, and entrepreneurship.

I do love reading in general though

So the question is, any recommendations? And if so, why?
If you like entrepreneurship and business you could try Alan Sugar's autobiography "What You See Is What You Get", or "Anyone Can Do It: My Story" by Duncan Bannatyne.

For cricket related books you might be interested in "And God Created Cricket" (Simon Hughes), "When Cricket Was Cricket: A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Greatest Game" (Adam Powley), or "Stumped: The World's Funniest Cricket Quotes" (Charlie Croker).
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger

Also really liked the Harry Potter books and Twilight books (in particular Breaking Dawn :smile:) Don't hate me! :colondollar:
Reply 1998
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud- Fantasy
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory- Historical Fiction
Affinity by Sarah Waters- not sure what this would come under, probably fiction/ psychological realism/gothic realism
Shakespeare by Bill Bryson- Biography
The Secret History by Donna Tart- Classic, I think?
The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Bannerji- Historical Fiction
Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon- again, not sure what this would come under...
Heavier than Heaven: Biography of Kurt Cobain by Charles R. Cross

It's a brilliant book, very sad mind but a definite read!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending