The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Historophilia
Well I'm not attracted to hiphop type guys anyway.

He is a singer. More pop than anything (with a tad of RnB in his non-mainstream songs). He is not a 'hiphop type guy'...
Girls who like male singer(s) just because they are hot are just plain stupid. They need to actually listen to talented people who produce good music and are not just in the industry for being hot. (This applies to One Direction, Justin Bieber, and to a slightly lesser extent... Chris Brown).
Original post by kingme
Justified in that men are generally bigger and stronger and more violent.

That's no justification for giving men in abusive relationships less sympathy. Not even close to it, because each situation is different, and abuse can also be emotional and psychological, not only physical.
Original post by keepinorder
cba with you lol. I don't care about whether it's heartless. I don't like her, my opinion. Now please stop commenting, i'm sure she doesn't need your backing up!! But yeh your very considerate, praise you on that, nice heart (btw im not being sarcsatic)

The funny thing is, I don't even like Rihanna myself, so don't even try to make out that I'm her 'knight in shining armour'. It just grinds my last nerve when people say 'he/she asked for it'. A beating? This anger in me all originated from the things females would say, like whenever a guy got a beating from a woman everyone especially other females assumed the guy 'asked for it' or 'deserved it' while having no prior knowledge to their relationship. This happened constantly and still does. Anyway so in order not to seem like a hypocrite I have to defend women when that accusation is thrown at them too.

Anyway seeing as your getting tired of me that's gonna be my last reply, good day :smile:
Original post by ironandwine
so it's okay for "hot" people to beat their partners? gold, pure gold.

nope, its not okay what so ever.. disgusting behaviour, i was just stating that he was hot, what he does privately doesnt affect what he looks like. i like chris brown because hes hot, i probably wouldnt like him if i knew him personally, but i dont so...
Girls love a badboy.
Reply 146
Original post by Ice Constricter
That's no justification for giving men in abusive relationships less sympathy. Not even close to it, because each situation is different, and abuse can also be emotional and psychological, not only physical.

I was under the impression that we were talking about one violent incident, and in situations like that a 'double standard' exists for good reason.
Original post by kingme
I was under the impression that we were talking about one violent incident, and in situations like that a 'double standard' exists for good reason.

But didn't I retract the double standard argument in relation to this incident in one of my replies to you? By me saying, "in hindsight I now realise it has (the double standard) no relevance to this incident". So when you continued to mention the double standard I assumed you were referring to it in general and not only in this particular incident.

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about abusive relationships in general at this point in time.
I honestly hate the man... I don't find him one bit hot and after what he did to Rihanna I detest him. It's funny how shallow girls can be, I am one myself but I'm not going to like a guy who beats up a girl or the other way round! :angry:
Reply 149
I don't like him but I like his songs :smile:
I got no idea how someone could still like Chris Brown. He almost killed Rhianna by beating her up. He is still an ******* with anger issues. Chris Brown does need help in controlling his anger but he would still know it is wrong to beat up his girlfriend.

I am disgusted that Rhianna has worked with him on songs. How is it good to show that it is okay to show your fans to work with their abusers? Unless she is doing that to further an image of self destructing to get more money from endless interviews to see if she becomes "fixed".
Because it's catchy. Remember, most people don't like anything with time changes or intelligent lyrics.
I'm not a huge Rihanna fan but I don't see the appeal with Chris Brown.
He's not attractive. His music is ****. And he's a woman beater.
HELLO GIRLS?! Stop being so shallow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 153
Found out today about his twitter feud with CM Punk - it would be funny if he wasn't such a ****ty human being.

But didn't I retract the double standard argument in relation to this incident in one of my replies to you? By me saying, "in hindsight I now realise it has (the double standard) no relevance to this incident". So when you continued to mention the double standard I assumed you were referring to it in general and not only in this particular incident.

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about abusive relationships in general at this point in time.

Sorry bud.
Reply 154
Original post by Dary
Violent criminals have a high recidivation rate - they dont look for a cure but for a harm reduction. He did not have a quick anger outburst - his outburst was sadistically sustained and prolonged and then she was dumped with no medical help as he took off.

And yes, he (and those like him) need to know that people are disgusted by his behaviour and that society looks down on those that hurt others - that will get through to him a lot more effectively than lets turn our head and walk on egg shells in case he gets angry again (??). His victim is still mentally tortured by "the incident" (as he so casually refers to it) and will probably never be "cured". Wish you had one tenth the empathy you have for him for his victim.

*Sighs* Who said I had little empathy for his victim? Where are you getting this information? I really want to know. I do empathise with the Rihanna a lot. I find the people who say she deserved it and those who say they've forgiven him just because he's 'good looking' and a celebrity disgusting. Also, I don't even like Chris Brown as an artist; I prefer Rihanna. I don't even think he is attractive. I really do prefer Rihanna in many ways.

It seems Rihanna isn't that mentally tortured by "the incident" or else she wouldn't have collaborated with him, unless it's some type of therapy. The lyrics in the first song posted on here are really vulgar, and I think I wouldn't want to collaborate with the guy who almost beat me to death in any song, let alone a vulgar one, if I were still mentally tortured by what happened. I'm not saying she isn't mentally tortured, I'm saying it just seems that way.

I do understand how knowing that society is disgusted by you is better than people walking on eggshells around you, but I wouldn't walk on eggshells around him. So, what do you propose society does to him? Hate him until his death? Ah, he's probably going to hit someone again and end up in prison adding an extra person to the already overpopulated prison :/

I was a really bad person when I was younger and now people often call me a good person. There are also people who have physically hurt me, and who also had childhood, that are good people now. If I was really hated by society like Chris, I'd probably be in prison now and wouldn't have got the good GCSEs and A levels that I have. I'm only saying that he may have a chance to change because I know, from personal experience, that people such as abusers can change.

Original post by LiveFastDieYoung
As a strong advocate of the rehabilitative approach to crime reduction I can tell you that you are correct, poor up-bringing may have had an impact, but he would have still known what he was doing was wrong, and still deserves the severe opprobrium that beating your partner in an abusive relationship attracts.

He has every opportunity now to attempt to address his anger issues and try to become a better person, but he should not escape the consequences of his actions that other people in society do.

Say for example you were a teacher, a politician, a policeman, a lawyer or any other normalish professional job, such a criminal conviction would have severe consequences on your professional life, which is a strong aspect of the punitive and retributive aspects of criminal justice.

However as he is a pretty boy singer he was mostly avoided that impact as people have short memories in the face of "celebrity". People can respect cheating wife-beating thuggish footballers/musicians for some reason. That is what I disagree with. I feel he should lose some of the fruits of his capitalist inspired gains because of his misdeeds. A businessman would find people less willing to do business with him because of this, a politician, lawyer, policeman or teacher would be ruined.

Yes he deserves rehabilitation, but he does not deserve to get off scott-free to return to his pre-crime riches and position.

Yes, I agree with you. I really do hate the fact that celebrities can seem to get away with things 'normal' people can't get away with.

Do you think that he doesn't know that he has a problem? Some people deny the fact that they have flaws in their character so do you think that he may be in denial?
Original post by kingme
Found out today about his twitter feud with CM Punk - it would be funny if he wasn't such a ****ty human being.

Sorry bud.

Feud?!!? :eek: Damn! What was it about?
Chris Brown ft. Rihanna- We found love in a swollen face.
Original post by Sem193
*Sighs* Who said I had little empathy for his victim? Where are you getting this information? I really want to know. I do empathise with the Rihanna a lot. I find the people who say she deserved it and those who say they've forgiven him just because he's 'good looking' and a celebrity disgusting. Also, I don't even like Chris Brown as an artist; I prefer Rihanna. I don't even think he is attractive. I really do prefer Rihanna in many ways.

It seems Rihanna isn't that mentally tortured by "the incident" or else she wouldn't have collaborated with him, unless it's some type of therapy. The lyrics in the first song posted on here are really vulgar, and I think I wouldn't want to collaborate with the guy who almost beat me to death in any song, let alone a vulgar one, if I were still mentally tortured by what happened. I'm not saying she isn't mentally tortured, I'm saying it just seems that way.

I do understand how knowing that society is disgusted by you is better than people walking on eggshells around you, but I wouldn't walk on eggshells around him. So, what do you propose society does to him? Hate him until his death? Ah, he's probably going to hit someone again and end up in prison adding an extra person to the already overpopulated prison :/

I was a really bad person when I was younger and now people often call me a good person. There are also people who have physically hurt me, and who also had childhood, that are good people now. If I was really hated by society like Chris, I'd probably be in prison now and wouldn't have got the good GCSEs and A levels that I have. I'm only saying that he may have a chance to change because I know, from personal experience, that people such as abusers can change.

Yes, I agree with you. I really do hate the fact that celebrities can seem to get away with things 'normal' people can't get away with.

Do you think that he doesn't know that he has a problem? Some people deny the fact that they have flaws in their character so do you think that he may be in denial?

On the self-awareness point I am not entirely certain, you have to have a certain objectivity and self-awareness to be able to consider yourself, and even then you can't be certain you are correct due to your perspective whether you are accurately considering your situation. Do I think he is thoughtful and reflective enough to really contemplate his situation? Probably not. Do I think he will have had a PR guy take him aside and say "we need to sort this out!" probably, and then he will have a very expensive shrink try to correct his negative behaviour. I hope he can try to change and sort his situation out, I just feel he got off easy because of his situation and that does not provide him with the best deterrent, and doesn't set a good example for society.

on the point about rhianna, many women who are the victims of domestic abuse convince themselves they "forgive" their abuse or they "deserved it" in some way and end up back with them repeatedly. That is why the police these days in the UK will prosecute domestic violence regardless of the beaten spouses wishes or cooperation if they are able to. You cannot read any kind of redemption into chris browns situation by Rhianna's forgiveness of him as she may be doing so in an entirely foolish and self-destructive way.

Would you let a burglar off if his victim happened to be a born-again christian who "forgave" him as part of his religious dictates? It is not just about the victims wishes, justice is a societal thing.
Reply 158
Feud?!!? :eek: Damn! What was it about?

Basically CM Punk was joking about about who might end up as his wrestlemania opponent, and one of the tweets was something about 'curb-stomping that turd' (Chris Brown).

Then Brown said he was on roids so punk posted a video saying i've never done roids or drank or smoked etc but chris brown is woman-beating piece of ****.
Reply 159

Latest