The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Can current University of Manchester students explain low student satisfaction rating

Why is Manchester ranked so poorly in the UK, mainly due to its poor ratings by students. I'm looking to study History, and I want some honest! opinions on teaching. I'm paying 50k here (well, in theory, at least), so I want decent teaching.

Any students willing to share their experience of teaching at manchester?

People are starting to say manc is wanc, and students have been protesting at poor teaching quality, even some senior officials have admitted poor standards of teaching?

Scroll to see replies

A friend of mine attended Manchester to study languages (different department, but hey). She has complained on numerous occasions about the level of dedication of her tutors there. From the looks of the student feedback, the sentiment is restricted neither to her experience nor her department. Perhaps a student or graduate of the History course can enlighten you as to the specifics of that department.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by TurboCretin
A friend of mine attended Manchester to study languages (different department, but hey). She has complained on numerous occasions about the level of dedication of her tutors there. From the looks of the student feedback, the sentiment is restricted neither to her experience nor her department. Perhaps a student or graduate of the History course can enlighten you as to the specifics of that department.

I think the arts departments are neglected, the History department said they had been awarded more funding by the university, and were going to recruit 6 new members of teaching staff for 2012 entry. I don't no whether to believe them. There's also a part of me that feels History is something you can sort of study yourself, as long as you keep disciplined. They have a massive library so they won't be short of resources. Apparently it's similar elsewhere; not much contact time for social sciences/arts/humanities, I just don't know why it is especially bad at manc...
Original post by sarah1345
I think the arts departments are neglected, the History department said they had been awarded more funding by the university, and were going to recruit 6 new members of teaching staff for 2012 entry. I don't no whether to believe them. There's also a part of me that feels History is something you can sort of study yourself, as long as you keep disciplined. They have a massive library so they won't be short of resources. Apparently it's similar elsewhere; not much contact time for social sciences/arts/humanities, I just don't know why it is especially bad at manc...

I'm not 100% sure on the numbers of people on various arts courses, but Manchester is the largest university in terms of number of students (excluding OU) so I guess that's a big factor. Very hard to give lots of personalised feedback to so many people.
Reply 4
Hey!

I studied at UoM the 2010/11 academic year and found the teaching to be very good, but maybe less than excellent. The facilities are a mixture of old and new, but they're all there. The teaching staff were available at set office hours or made themselves available in a different slot if asked, to accommodate anyone who requests it and will give personalised feedback if requested (as long as you consent to losing the anonymity of your work) as it's not realistic to expect it as standard in classes 150+ in size, which you might get at a smaller university.

After all, this is university and not a college and you're gonna have to teach yourself :smile:
Reply 5
I study here now it's in most respects a fantastic university with no more niggles than anywhere else, the low student satisfaction rating comes from only those with something negative to say filling out the survey. If you come here you'll realise that an absolute minority actually bother to fill in the survey and it tends to be the whiny idiots.
Reply 6
Original post by Davidosh
I study here now it's in most respects a fantastic university with no more niggles than anywhere else, the low student satisfaction rating comes from only those with something negative to say filling out the survey. If you come here you'll realise that an absolute minority actually bother to fill in the survey and it tends to be the whiny idiots.

:biggrin: Well, I'm definitely firming and insuring Manchester for two courses, relating to History, do you study that?

I don't really care about its ranking; I'm sure it will improve. But I was just intrigued as to why it was 30th in the UK, and the TSRians who actually feel they are a mid-table uni in the UK make me laugh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
:biggrin: Well, I'm definitely firming and insuring Manchester for two courses, relating to History, do you study that?

I don't really care about its ranking; I'm sure it will improve. But I was just intrigued as to why it was 30th in the UK, and the TSRians who actually feel they are a mid-table uni in the UK make me laugh.

Also, are there any opportunities to resit GCSEs at Manchester, or would I need to consult a local exams centre in the area?

I don't know I've never enquired about it.

I study Economics but my friend is currently History society president and sounds pretty good plus with Manchester's size gives you a lot of flexibility in course options.

I wouldn't worry about the Times Ranking I personally feel that's a bit of a joke you just have to look at Manchester's world ranking (44th I think) and you'll see that's reputation is much better than TSR would have you believe.
Reply 8
Original post by Davidosh
I don't know I've never enquired about it.

I study Economics but my friend is currently History society president and sounds pretty good plus with Manchester's size gives you a lot of flexibility in course options.

I wouldn't worry about the Times Ranking I personally feel that's a bit of a joke you just have to look at Manchester's world ranking (44th I think) and you'll see that's reputation is much better than TSR would have you believe.

According to QS world ranking 29th, the only higher ranking British universities are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Edinburgh
Original post by Sam1309
According to QS world ranking 29th, the only higher ranking British universities are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Edinburgh

Thats the tricky bit. Why does it rank so good internationally but when it comes to the local rep, many people here say it's not that great?
I plan on firming Manchester for Econs and Finance but am receiving loads of conflicting information about it now.
Reply 10
Original post by Sam1309

I think QS is probably the least reliable international ranking, but fair enough, and yes I'm firming and insuring Manchester, but are they really that good? You could probably put hundreds of American universities ahead in terms of contact time and teaching. I think a lot of it has to do with research; which Manchester excels at, also the Nobel prize academics. But I certainly think UK tables are harsh on Manchester.

Are you a student there? What do you study? Are you pretty satisfied with feedback?
Reply 11
Original post by iamlovinit05
Thats the tricky bit. Why does it rank so good internationally but when it comes to the local rep, many people here say it's not that great?
I plan on firming Manchester for Econs and Finance but am receiving loads of conflicting information about it now.

Poor satisfaction levels, but how many students at Manchester fill in the satisfaction forms?! Surely Manchester should be encouraging students to fill them in...it's not as if it's been one or two years that satisfaction has been poor, it's probably been since 2004 when it was formed...lol
Poor satisfaction levels, but how many students at Manchester fill in the satisfaction forms?! Surely Manchester should be encouraging students to fill them in...it's not as if it's been one or two years that satisfaction has been poor, it's probably been since 2004 when it was formed...lol

Won't it be the same for all other unis? I can't see why only manc grads would be lazy to fill in those forms haha.

Don't really know man. I'm international so my information on the local scene is really really limited. I just hope that i'm making the right choice.
Reply 13
Won't it be the same for all other unis? I can't see why only manc grads would be lazy to fill in those forms haha.

Don't really know man. I'm international so my information on the local scene is really really limited. I just hope that i'm making the right choice.

I've heard other uni's like Kent put pressure on students to give them good feedback and ratings, whereas Manchester doesn't give too much of a ****, their research and reputation speaks for itself, so I don't think they're too bothered, Manchester is looked down upon by TSRians, is it like that by employers? Then again they have won the employment by top 100 graduate firms for 3 years running
Reply 14
I think QS is probably the least reliable international ranking, but fair enough, and yes I'm firming and insuring Manchester, but are they really that good? You could probably put hundreds of American universities ahead in terms of contact time and teaching. I think a lot of it has to do with research; which Manchester excels at, also the Nobel prize academics. But I certainly think UK tables are harsh on Manchester.

Are you a student there? What do you study? Are you pretty satisfied with feedback?

I didn't realise they were unreliable as I don't really care about rankings at all to be honest.

I'm not a student there no but Manchester is my firm for Chem Eng this year I should have made that clear. I know on one of their publications it has their world rankings and the guy that lead the talk I saw said they trusted the one they were ranked lower in more - a rare bit of honesty and modesty from an admissions tutor - so I'll dig that out in a bit. With the stuff about research strength I think that is probably a good thing it will surely make the latter years of your degree as up to date and forward thinking as possible certainly for my subject, best of luck with exams maybe see you in September!
I've heard other uni's like Kent put pressure on students to give them good feedback and ratings, whereas Manchester doesn't give too much of a ****, their research and reputation speaks for itself, so I don't think they're too bothered, Manchester is looked down upon by TSRians, is it like that by employers? Then again they have won the employment by top 100 graduate firms for 3 years running

I see, that sure explains some stuff.
Yea thats what i wanna find out as well. As I intend to work for 1-2 years in the UK for experience after graduation, I really do hope that the employers don't treat Manchester the way TSRians does haha.
Reply 16

It is odd, I remember hearing that international ones don't weight student satisfaction as much, which I think might make a difference. You normally only bother with customer service questionnaires and stuff if you have something really negative to moan about which could be the case here if people aren't really pressured into completing it
Original post by Sam1309
It is odd, I remember hearing that international ones don't weight student satisfaction as much, which I think might make a difference. You normally only bother with customer service questionnaires and stuff if you have something really negative to moan about which could be the case here if people aren't really pressured into completing it

Good point.
The only thing preventing me from clicking on that firm button on my Manc offer is the fear that it might not be easy me to find a job that satisfies the tier 2 visa scheme. Hopefully, those fears can be relayed and I can just firm and stop thinking!
Reply 18
Good point.
The only thing preventing me from clicking on that firm button on my Manc offer is the fear that it might not be easy me to find a job that satisfies the tier 2 visa scheme. Hopefully, those fears can be relayed and I can just firm and stop thinking!

I have no clue about that sort of thing but best of luck with that, I've firmed Manchester and can't wait to go but I loved the city before so I'm probably biased
Reply 19
Original post by Sam1309
I have no clue about that sort of thing but best of luck with that, I've firmed Manchester and can't wait to go but I loved the city before so I'm probably biased

See you there! You're doing something useful at least, TSRians would say I'm doing a pointless arts degree lol. What halls you going for? I'm tied between Oak House and Whitworth Park :/