The Student Room Group

Just got owned in UCL MSc Management interview

Firstly, I was nerve wrecked. I must say, it's a very innovative idea but it's just so unconventional. It didn't feel like I was talking to someone at all. I stuttered here and there, I must have looked like an utter moron.

As for the questions, I suppose I answered them at least semi-sufficiently, but I didn't really answer one of them, which asked about what I want to do later and to name some employers. I just generally waffled about 'not narrowing down into anything very specific in the financial services' and waffled a bit about back office, finance (CIMA qualification), the energy sector and becoming an accountant for an engineering firm. Basically my answer for this question was ridiculously incoherent.

Anyway good luck to the rest of you with UCL OVIA interviews. I'll be so surprised if I can get an offer from them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just had my HEC Paris, ESCP and EM Lyon interview for the same Master's and I also feel like I bombed it, but don't get down too much on yourself. These can be a great learning experience and I can guarantee that next time you find yourself under these circumstances, it'll go much better. I bet that right after the interview you not only knew it didn't go so well, but you also knew the different ways in which you could have answered these questions. Sounds like it wasn't technical at all, which means it was just nerves and as much as you won't get another chance at this exact interview, it won't be the last one in your life and that's the beautiful part of failing. Everytime you make a mistake it's a chance to get stronger in whichever way that you came up short.

Interviews for graduate schools are not unconventional at all, and the earlier you become comfortable in that setting, the better. Most of the top programs in any field, not to mention all top MBA programs, have this component. What helped me is to continually realize that this is a chance for me to differentiate myself from the crowd and sell my candidacy. Don't treat it as a burden or an interrogation process but rather a way to instill confidence in the commission that you are the right candidate.
Reply 2
Hey I felt the same way about my UCL interview and got an offer two weeks later.

So keep confident. They probably take into account that the system is slightly awkward and students might get nervous with the time limits etc.

Good luck
Reply 3
Don't worry. I think many of those who took part in it felt the same way (including me!). Good luck.
hey, take it easy!
Wish you an offer
Hey!
Have u been asked about the Apple news on Guardian?
What r the Qs? I feel a little bit confused about that news!!!
THX!!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bunny rabbit
Hey!
Have u been asked about the Apple news on Guardian?
What r the Qs? I feel a little bit confused about that news!!!
THX!!:smile:

Yes I was asked about Apple. My advice is you should formulate your own judgements and compare them with the many comments made by other readers, at the bottom of the article. Personally one of my questions was something like "what should Apple do with all its money" and I just gave a mainstream answer about R&D.
Original post by Garam Masala
Yes I was asked about Apple. My advice is you should formulate your own judgements and compare them with the many comments made by other readers, at the bottom of the article. Personally one of my questions was something like "what should Apple do with all its money" and I just gave a mainstream answer about R&D.

huge thx for your answer.
Someone said there were 2 Qs on Apple. What about u?
There r 5 Qs in total, right?

THX!!!:smile:
Reply 8

Something like that, I can't exactly remember what else they asked to be honest. There was definitely something on my ambitions though, and possibly something to do with the skills that I expect to learn from the MSc that will help me achieve my goals.
Something like that, I can't exactly remember what else they asked to be honest. There was definitely something on my ambitions though, and possibly something to do with the skills that I expect to learn from the MSc that will help me achieve my goals.

thx again!
best luck for you!
Wish you a place at MSc mgt!
good luck, you never know, you may still get an offer. think positive!!
Reply 11

holy mother of god, you are actually describing exactly how my interview went.
or well, mine went worse. i was so freaked in the interview, i said "oh damnnn" once. hahahaaa, I'm surprised to see that someone else also got owned in the interview.
Reply 12
Hey guys.. How long do they take to give the interview call.

It been a week since my both the referees submitted their references. Can i know the tentative duration they take to give an interview call .

Am an overseas applicant.
Reply 13
i got a call exactly after a week of submitting my application.
Reply 14
I recently did my interview. I think I did okay. It was definitely "different". On the bright side, it went by fast. I just hope my answers are good enough for them *shrugs*. Luckily, you get two weeks from the time it was sent to take it (which is good because I've been sick).

Original post by 7dna
Hey guys.. How long do they take to give the interview call.

It been a week since my both the referees submitted their references. Can i know the tentative duration they take to give an interview call .

Am an overseas applicant.

I'm also an overseas applicant. I got an email with the interview invite link and Apple article three weeks after submitting my completed application.

Yes, think about how they should spend the money and know what their dividend policy is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by misse
I recently did my interview. I think I did okay. It was definitely "different". On the bright side, it went by fast. I just hope my answers are good enough for them *shrugs*. Luckily, you get two weeks from the time it was sent to take it (which is good because I've been sick).

I'm also an overseas applicant. I got an email with the interview invite link and Apple article three weeks after submitting my completed application.

Yes, think about how they should spend the money and know what their dividend policy is.

is there question on dividend policy?
I think you could choose to pay dividend, but not necessary.

BTW, could u plz share some your Qs?
I heard there is quite limited place for MSc mgt, maybe tragic none...

anyway, still good luck to you!! think positive, things will work out!!
THX!!!
Reply 16
is there question on dividend policy?
I think you could choose to pay dividend, but not necessary.

BTW, could u plz share some your Qs?
I heard there is quite limited place for MSc mgt, maybe tragic none...

anyway, still good luck to you!! think positive, things will work out!!
THX!!!

Thank you, and good luck to you too! As far as questions, be prepared to discuss why you want to attend the program, your background, and your career goals. Overall it's very straight forward.
Reply 17
Well well well... I just got an offer from UCL. So much for the dreadful interview.. :smile:
Reply 18
****ing crazy man, hope i get through aswell!!!
Reply 19
Well well well... I just got an offer from UCL. So much for the dreadful interview.. :smile:

dude, my application says "processing by admissions".. how much time would it take approximately to come up to a decision ?
*fingers crossed*

Quick Reply