The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katiegreen18
Hey, a general question - I have just finished my all dissertation research and set the individual chapters and I have 11 weeks to write it up, have I left it too late - its 10, 000 words. please tell me I have not!

I have done 2,000 by the way also so tecnically 8,0000 left

Definitely not! You only have to write 727 words a week to get finished in time - that's like 1 1/2 sides of A4.
Reply 501
In need of participants!!!!
I don't have a title yet for my dissertation but it is about student's perceptions of the PR industry. If you could take a minute to fill out my questionnaire I would be very grateful, and I would be very happy to return the favour to anyone seeking data collection. Thanks, A x

If you are male: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5F7GKGQ

...And if you are female: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5FXJCBW
Original post by katiegreen18
Hey, a general question - I have just finished my all dissertation research and set the individual chapters and I have 11 weeks to write it up, have I left it too late - its 10, 000 words. please tell me I have not!

I have done 2,000 by the way also so tecnically 8,0000 left

It took me around 3 weeks to write mine, alongside working for other modules and doing my job 12-20 hours a week. So, it is definitely doable. :smile:

Plus, I wrote a 5000 word MA-level essay in one day this week. I didn't have a choice, as we finished placement on Friday and had classes 9am-5pm each day this week. Sunday was the only option. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it is okay lol. :smile:
Autumn semester results out today. MA offer came through. Final dissertation chapter to crack on with this weekend before MEGA revision. Time is disappearing. Third year = mental.
I got unsubscribed again... and haven't been totally productive with my dissertation yet, however I am finally getting some relatively meaningful results using a very basic method, this is suggesting good things for when I work out how to do the complex method, that is my job for tomorrow!
Reply 505
I have a great supervisor she always answers my e-mails quickly and when we meet she always gives great notes and advice.

I'm doing my Dissertation on the 2012 London Olympics. And I have written out questionnaires for London Residents. So if you live in London and would like to participate please feel free to e-mail me. I would really appreciate it.

:biggrin:
Original post by Emma-21
I have a great supervisor she always answers my e-mails quickly and when we meet she always gives great notes and advice.

I'm doing my Dissertation on the 2012 London Olympics. And I have written out questionnaires for London Residents. So if you live in London and would like to participate please feel free to e-mail me. I would really appreciate it.

:biggrin:

I'm a Londoner. PM me if you like and I'll do it once I'm back home (at uni atm) :smile:
I have spent the day bulking out my appendices which could be good or bad, I have a maximum of 4000 words for appendices, bibliography, contents page and abstract.

Also have wound up where I started only with two less variables.
Reply 508
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm a Londoner. PM me if you like and I'll do it once I'm back home (at uni atm) :smile:

Wow Thanks, I didn't think anyone would respond. Thanks Again. :biggrin:

I'll PM you.
Original post by ellejaytee

I do not like scary notes. Someone told me it was only 6 weeks till a trampolining competition the other day. Then I realised that meant 6 weeks till easter. Then I realised that meant 6 weeks until the last feedback I can get.

However, it hasn't really helped the work ethic (I spent more time practising for the comp than doing my dissertation)

I know its too scary its 1 month today! :frown:

Its scary how fast times flies I got soo much in including 2 essays for another module that week, and a 2page report due in a couple of weeks luckily I got that finished and its only a 15% pre-cusor to the 4000 word report due in a couple months. I sense extenstions may be used :frown:
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
I know its too scary its 1 month today! :frown:

Its scary how fast times flies I got soo much in including 2 essays for another module that week, and a 2page report due in a couple of weeks luckily I got that finished and its only a 15% pre-cusor to the 4000 word report due in a couple months. I sense extenstions may be used :frown:

That sounds evil. There is only one module in my final year which has any coursework (albeit it is 24 hrs and it is the week before Easter)

Unfortunately I really may have bulked out my appendices too much ( i may reduce on analysis of results) I currently have only 1900 words left to use and that has to cover the rest of chapter 3, all of chapter four and my conclusion ...
Original post by ellejaytee
That sounds evil. There is only one module in my final year which has any coursework (albeit it is 24 hrs and it is the week before Easter)

Unfortunately I really may have bulked out my appendices too much ( i may reduce on analysis of results) I currently have only 1900 words left to use and that has to cover the rest of chapter 3, all of chapter four and my conclusion ...

It is :frown: luckily I got 10k (min, max 12k) words to cover my back and IS, got it broken down to

Introduction: 3000
Materials and Methods: 1000 (maybe to 1500)
Results: 3000
Discussion: 3000
Acknowledgements 100

still got 14000 words additional up to 12k even with that as a base.

Current word count: 1417/10000
(edited 12 years ago)
So I talked to my tutor on friday and he was too busy to meet properly unless it was after 5 on mon, tues or today. He asked me to email him with when I would be coming. So I arranged to meet him today. I got no reply to my email but thought I would see if he was around anyway. Waited 20 minutes and then gave up.

Tomorrow will not be at all productive. All I need to do is my dissertation. The only thing I'm stuck on is my dissertation. I'm going to resort to other tutors and try and get a meeting tomorrow if possible :frown:
Reply 513
I'm actually enjoying my dissertation at the moment apart from one stupid hypothesis which needs to go figure itself out about what I actually mean and what I found. As otherwise my dissertation is fine but this tiny bit is just confusing me and throwing everything else off..20 days til the draft is due in eep.
Original post by Boo_x
I'm actually enjoying my dissertation at the moment apart from one stupid hypothesis which needs to go figure itself out about what I actually mean and what I found. As otherwise my dissertation is fine but this tiny bit is just confusing me and throwing everything else off..20 days til the draft is due in eep.

I am enjoying my dissertation, but only when I'm not stuck. I am considering skipping my econometrics lectures on Fridays occassionally soon, just because it will give me an extra whole day to do dissertation and I can let the lecturer know exactly why I need the extra time. (only because he's my tutor though...)
I can't believe it's March already. :frown:
Got a meeting with supervisor for results on Friday should have everything sorted for then just getting it together in the spreadsheet now.

Aiming to complete over the weekend a first draft of my IS as im going to finish everything else this weekend so i can spend time with family on Sunday :smile:
Reply 517
It's freaking March! :zomg:

On the plus side, I'm at least cracking on with my dissertation :yep: Ignoring all other work though :colonhash:
Original post by aeterno
It's freaking March! :zomg:

On the plus side, I'm at least cracking on with my dissertation :yep: Ignoring all other work though :colonhash:

I know scary stuff :frown:

Should have 1 piece in tomorrow and wont need to worry about the second half for a while. Will get my other stuff in soon as well hoping to crack out about 5k words over weekend :smile:
Reply 519
guys and gals, I still have my literature review to do as well as one chapter and a half!
I WILL NEVER MANAGE!

Quick Reply

Latest