The Student Room Group

why are there so many people collecting degrees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CHY872

The PhD would almost certainly have been funded. Self-funded PhDs are rare.

The MBA would have cost about the same as the MSc.

Part-time self-funded PhDs are common.

MBAs are extraordinarily expensive. If you take a university such as Birmingham which has no particular renown for its business school, it is charging £19,000 for an MBA. Henley Business School at Reading, which does have a global reputation, charged £33,000 last year for its full time MBA and £39,950 for its part-time executive MBA. Oxford charges £37,500 for its full-time MBA and £52,000 for its part-time executive MBA.
Reply 61
Original post by migeon
I didn't ask that because he told me about his degrees because i asked him. And he didn't seem a very nice or particularly intelligent person, he just replied with lots of self importance which is why I got a negative vibe from it. probably nobody is honest on TSR either, but I'm happy with the information I got so far.

Ignore the poster who's asking you the question. She would go around asking the obvious for no reason most of the time. She thinks everything is that 'easy' and can be done as whatever her head thinks. People usually would create threads when they themselves are not comfortable with certain things and ask around for opinions; and to do what she suggested in the first place is just plain rude to most people and nonsense in my opinion. I just find her full of crap really.
Reply 62
Original post by Pitt1988
Daddy's credit card most likely!

Green eyed monster? Bitter?

Take ya pick.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Some professions demand you have a Bsc, Msc, and PhD to be very successful: like Psychology.

Yep, definitely seems to help in some cases :smile: but needs to be balanced with relevant work experience etc
Reply 64
Original post by CHY872

The MSc would have cost £10-15k

The MBA would have cost about the same as the MSc.

There's clearly not been much understanding of what an MBA entails throughout this thread, especially an MBA at LBS, in terms of benefits or effort involved.

To the point I've quoted, it's around 50k to do an MBA at LBS, not 10-15.

Edit: 2012 MBA, august start, 57k
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd love to do several degrees, because I'm interested in several things and I like studying for the most part. That's all.
Reply 66
Original post by Iron Lady
Green eyed monster? Bitter?

Take ya pick.

Not one bit. Better prepared for life when you learn that nothing comes free and you need to work for it.
Original post by NW86
There's clearly not been much understanding of what an MBA entails throughout this thread, especially an MBA at LBS, in terms of benefits or effort involved.

To the point I've quoted, it's around 50k to do an MBA at LBS, not 10-15.

Edit: 2012 MBA, august start, 57k

My bad.
Still, by that point you've still only had about £60k in fees -- which is the same as an undergrad degree with living costs plus a cheaper masters degree.
Plus, inflation would mean you'd have only paid about 50k in today's money.

Original post by nulli tertius
Part-time self-funded PhDs are common.

Less so in the sciences - and science PhDs are more likely to be full time and funded. Furthermore, only about 1 in 5 PhDs is part time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CHY872

Less so in the sciences
-

I accept this

and science PhDs are more likely to be full time and funded.

There are quite a lot of employer funded part-time PhDs in health related sciences.

Furthermore, only about 1 in 5 PhDs is part time.

But that drops to 1 in 3 if one looks at Brits.
Original post by nulli tertius
-

I accept this

There are quite a lot of employer funded part-time PhDs in health related sciences.

But that drops to 1 in 3 if one looks at Brits.

Hm. I'm not sure why, but I gained the impression that the person the OP was referring to was in Physics (which would further increase the likelihood of it being full time). I can't find the quote, so I guess it must just be another post I was thinking of.

I confess that I'm not all too familiar with PhDs other than knowing a few students who are taking them. So I don't think I can add anything more to this conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest