The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sj27
Remember a few weeks ago she decided to take a break from TSR...she was sounding a bit down, re PhD apps.

Ah. I thought she'd been quiet :s-smilie:
Reply 1321
Original post by Craghyrax
What was so bad about the supervision meeting? :s-smilie:
I'm not jumping to a conclusion here, but might it be because you perhaps expect positive encouragement or praise (if you had that before in your academic experience) and now stuff seems to be critical?
There are other people on my PhD who seem to get really down in response to constructive criticism from their supervisor. I actually share the same supervisor and listened to the things that bugged this friend and the comments sounded like nothing to get dispirited about to me.
I don't know if its just that supervisors at Cam are very critical and don't dish out praise, but if my supervisors criticise my work I don't take it as a sign that I'm crap, I just see it as helpful information about how to go about improving and learning to work at this standard.
We've both just begun. You can't expect to be PhD level yet. That comes after years of practising, rewriting and learning new skills.

If you see/had seen my second post you're realise it's not about the criticism (that I am most definitely used to) it's everything else that had got to me this week. I've gone from being an over-grown undergrad (as that's really what my MA was) to feeling like treading water (with 2 years off in between) so forgive me for voicing my moans and groans :smile:
Original post by apotoftea
If you see/had seen my second post you're realise it's not about the criticism (that I am most definitely used to) it's everything else that had got to me this week. I've gone from being an over-grown undergrad (as that's really what my MA was) to feeling like treading water (with 2 years off in between) so forgive me for voicing my moans and groans :smile:

Sorry to hear it.
Original post by apotoftea

It's at moments like that you grow a beard!
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
It's at moments like that you grow a beard!

I grew one anyway, in anticipation...
See there are places like this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-14672190.html in Norwich which are just incredible. We were so tempted by this one, but unfortunately its in an awkward location which would mean a long walk and the bus to most places I need to go, so I had to veto it. Dave would have liked it, but he is happy to walk miles every day without complaint.

Anyhow so actually we capitulated and went for the 2 bedroom terraced house on Bourdieu Close after all. All of the promising alternatives we saw on Gum tree were taken by the time we rang up, and the remaining options were pretty sparse. Lots of big 3 bedroom semi-detached or end-of-terrace places around, but they were mostly either in bad locations or ugly. Dave didn't think they were ugly but I'm very spoilt like that :o:
I hate house hunting so much, and am so worried about how behind I'll get with my work that I just decided to take the one we both liked and get moved and settled ASAP. Especially as its agent rang us over the weekend to see if we were still interested. We thought it would get snapped up.
(edited 12 years ago)
See there are places like this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-14672190.html in Norwich which are just incredible. We were so tempted by this one, but unfortunately its in an awkward location which would mean a long walk and the bus to most places I need to go, so I had to veto it. Dave would have liked it, but he is happy to walk miles every day without complaint.

Anyhow so actually we capitulated and went for the 2 bedroom terraced house on Bourdieu Close after all. All of the promising alternatives we saw on Gum tree were taken by the time we rang up, and the remaining options were pretty sparse. Lots of big 3 bedroom semi-detached or end-of-terrace places around, but they were mostly either in bad locations or ugly. Dave didn't think they were ugly but I'm very spoilt like that :o:
I hate house hunting so much, and am so worried about how behind I'll get with my work that I just decided to take the one we both liked and get moved and settled ASAP. Especially as its agent rang us over the weekend to see if we were still interested. We thought it would get snapped up.

Glad you managed to get somewhere sorted. When do you move?
(edited 12 years ago)
x

Good choice, and I hope (and I'm sure) you'll be very happy there. Plus I love the fact that your address will be [name of road], as I currently love the folk duo of that title. Their song 'Queen of Hearts' is lovely :colondollar:

Might you be tempted to take your Right Move link down, now that you'll actually be living there! Don't want any TSR stalkage!
Reply 1328
Original post by the_alba
Might you be tempted to take your Right Move link down, now that you'll actually be living there! Don't want any TSR stalkage!

Done.:smile:
Thanks the_alba.
Original post by Becca
Glad you managed to get somewhere sorted. When do you move?

We paid this month's rent on the 28th of Feb, so we'll aim to move in a few days before the 28th of March, leaving a day or two to clean the current place.
Thanks the_alba.

We paid this month's rent on the 28th of Feb, so we'll aim to move in a few days before the 28th of March, leaving a day or two to clean the current place.

Good luck with the move!

GOGs, I am getting my tonsils out on Friday and I'm really scared! I've never had general anaesthetic or even been in the hospital really. Any tips? I also have to be off work for 2 weeks afterwards :colonhash:
Reply 1331
Original post by Becca
GOGs, I am getting my tonsils out on Friday and I'm really scared! I've never had general anaesthetic or even been in the hospital really. Any tips? I also have to be off work for 2 weeks afterwards :colonhash:

Not really sure about "tips" (other than "don't stress" :wink:) ... you'll go under very quickly once they administer the anaesthetic, and then come out when it's all over. You may still feel a bit groggy when you come round at first, and they'll be monitoring blood pressure etc for a while to make sure everything is OK. It's a pretty routine surgery so I'm sure everything will go just fine! Will you be leaving the hospital the same day?
Original post by sj27
Not really sure about "tips" (other than "don't stress" :wink:) ... you'll go under very quickly once they administer the anaesthetic, and then come out when it's all over. You may still feel a bit groggy when you come round at first, and they'll be monitoring blood pressure etc for a while to make sure everything is OK. It's a pretty routine surgery so I'm sure everything will go just fine! Will you be leaving the hospital the same day?

Lol thanks! The rational part of my brain tells me everything you just did but I told my class today that'll be going On leave and they came up with all kinds of horror stories! Yeah it's a same day thing. I go in at 7.30am but I don't know what time the op is.
Reply 1333
Original post by Becca
Lol thanks! The rational part of my brain tells me everything you just did but I told my class today that'll be going On leave and they came up with all kinds of horror stories! Yeah it's a same day thing. I go in at 7.30am but I don't know what time the op is.

OK, well, I have had a couple of experiences with general in the past few years - one unplanned and one planned - so let me reassure you rather :smile: . (And I had my tonsils taken out as a child in fact, but don't remember much about it...other than I clearly seem to have survived :wink:)
Guys urgent query. How does Megabus work? We've booked tickets and all that online and have the reference numbers, what do we do then? i.e do we have to redeem the tickets before boarding or whatever? I left the booking etc to my girlfriend and...yeah...probably not the best idea in retrospect. I essentially have in my hands two printed out print screens of whatever she sent me. This...doesn't seem right.
Original post by The Lyceum
Guys urgent query. How does Megabus work? We've booked tickets and all that online and have the reference numbers, what do we do then? i.e do we have to redeem the tickets before boarding or whatever? I left the booking etc to my girlfriend and...yeah...probably not the best idea in retrospect. I essentially have in my hands two printed out print screens of whatever she sent me. This...doesn't seem right.

I told you that all it said was that we need to show the reservation number to the driver. Can you stop defaming me in public???????

that's what the email said: This email confirms your reservation.

The reservation number provided below must be presented to our driver when you board the vehicle.
(edited 12 years ago)
Lolwut^^
I definitely missed that one...
:flute:
As did I. Although more people should defame their girlfriends in gogsoc, it's funny.

Latest

Trending

Trending