The Student Room Group

Southampton Nursing???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bro_Bro
It has picked as of recently, thank goodness :smile: Got interviews for Southampton, Cardiff and Liverpool and an unconditional offer for Glasgow, so I am pleased so far :biggrin: Got Southampton on the 7th March and I am so worried for it cause the policy papers are HUGE and I have to read both for the dual course :s-smilie: Also, not sure what to expect in the english tests and group discussions... CAN ANYONE HELP???

yess dont worry about the policies and the maths questions are okay just read the question and take your time! as for the policies i'd say focus on the skills that are used by nurses and the group discussions fine just make sure you know about nurses as well as problems surrounding them e.g. social, economical you'll be fine!! its very friendly!
Reply 41
Hello Guys, I had my interview for Child nursing on the 28th of feb, i went okay:smile: For anyone who has had their interview here, how long does it take for them to get back to you?

hope all your interviews went well :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Lauren12
Hello Guys, I had my interview for Child nursing on the 28th of feb, i went okay:smile: For anyone who has had their interview here, how long does it take for them to get back to you?

hope all your interviews went well :smile:

Last year it took 2 weeks (over Christmas period). They told us that if we hadn't heard within a week, then it was good news.
Helloo :smile: I have my interview at southampton on wednesday 7/03/12 too! I know exactly how you feel, just looking at how long the policies were made me nervous. Also I've been reading on a couple of the forums that the maths questions are hard. Maths has never been my strong point, I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what type of math questions they ask and general advice for the day?

Thanks, Lucie :smile:
Reply 44
They don't do anything too complicated know your basic maths of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Also for the day just relax and remember to talk to people as you are all in the same situation. If i remember rightly as well they ask for documents, make sure that they are photocopied. What are you applying for?
I've actually applied for adult nursing and the dual (adult and child) course, so i'm just preparing for both. This is my first ever interview for a university and I just don't have a clue what to expect. To add to my anxiety I've had a bit of a problem with the documentation side of things. I thought I had my certificates for my A-Levels but it turns out they're not certificates but result slips which they do not accept, so ive got a long day ahead of me tomorrow speaking to the university and my old school. What was the english test like?
Thank you for your help by the way.
Reply 46
Original post by luciestudent
I've actually applied for adult nursing and the dual (adult and child) course, so i'm just preparing for both. This is my first ever interview for a university and I just don't have a clue what to expect. To add to my anxiety I've had a bit of a problem with the documentation side of things. I thought I had my certificates for my A-Levels but it turns out they're not certificates but result slips which they do not accept, so ive got a long day ahead of me tomorrow speaking to the university and my old school. What was the english test like?

The english test was dead easy. We just had to bullet point what made a good nurse (I think). All I remember was that it was very laid back and easy. Relax, smile, wear professional dress, brush up on current issues, what skills does a nurse have, why your chosen branch etc. I found Southampton the easiest of my 5 interviews last year. Good luck.
Reply 47
the english was about influences on health choices and nursing skills, read the leaflet but focus more on the adult policy, and be familiar with the executive summary of the sure start policy - thats what i did. the maths was easy but make sure you read the question properly cause i got one wrong and realised why after i hadn't read it properly - pay attention to the bold bits haha. You'll be fine hon :smile: xxx
Thank you for the help and advice people. Fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by glf2110
Last year it took 2 weeks (over Christmas period). They told us that if we hadn't heard within a week, then it was good news.

Oh really, it will be a week tomorrow from when ive had it so im hoping for good news !!! I was meant to go to canterbury last year but due to curcumstances i was unable to go in the end, so need to get in this year, really dont wanna wait another year lol ! southampton looks like a really nice place to study too :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Bethmunch
yess dont worry about the policies and the maths questions are okay just read the question and take your time! as for the policies i'd say focus on the skills that are used by nurses and the group discussions fine just make sure you know about nurses as well as problems surrounding them e.g. social, economical you'll be fine!! its very friendly!

What do you mean know about nurses? I have no idea what is going to come up in the discussion or what I will have to know regarding the policies!!! so nervous!!!! :s-smilie:
Reply 51
What current issues are people reading about??? :smile:
Sorry, but so stressed and feel I have def not read enough!!!!
Reply 52
Original post by Bro_Bro

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health/ :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by luciestudent

Hi lucie :smile: I've also got an interview at Southampton on Wednesday for the dual (adult and child) course! I have had exactly the same problem with my gsce certificates as I moved house and they've been misplaced! I rang Southampton up and they said not to worry I will just need them if I get an offer, phew! I'm so nervous...
I've been looking up the current issues within the nhs but it's so much harder explaining it than it is to read up on! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is nervous! X
Reply 54
.. Also if anyone has already had an interview at Southampton for the dual (Adult and Child) course, I would be so grateful for some tips and advice for the day :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Bro_Bro

I feel exactly the same! But honestly BBC health has everything that's currently going on have a read! X
Reply 56
Original post by Sasharutt
I feel exactly the same! But honestly BBC health has everything that's currently going on have a read! X

I have been looking at it but nothing very relevant to nursing seems to be jumping out at me? :s-smilie: How is your prep going? Have you read the policy papers in much detail?
:smile:
Reply 57
Yeah I know what you mean I've just been reading it all, and the current issues within the nhs at the moment :smile:

I've read the adult one and just re reading the childrens one now (abit awkward as I couldn't print it?) I just highlighted the bits of the policies I thought I could forget and I need to look over again...

Is Southampton your first choice I'm so glad I've met someone going on the same day!
Reply 58
Original post by Sasharutt
Yeah I know what you mean I've just been reading it all, and the current issues within the nhs at the moment :smile:

I've read the adult one and just re reading the childrens one now (abit awkward as I couldn't print it?) I just highlighted the bits of the policies I thought I could forget and I need to look over again...

Is Southampton your first choice I'm so glad I've met someone going on the same day!

Aww god, you sound like you know lots :s-smilie: I do not feel ready for this at all :frown: They can't expect us to know it in great detail can they?!? But yeah, Its cool we are in the same day :smile:
Reply 59
No of course not! There's way too much to remember everything I wouldn't worry too much about it. And noo I don't at all!

Where are you travelling from? :smile:

Quick Reply