The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moggs
Hey Bufferz, yeah I got it a day or two after submitting. I have the same tutor as T207 though, and he's always insanely fast.

Another late one??

My T173 assignment was due in on, lets say Monday 12:00, and i got it at 00:01 on the Tuesday :biggrin: hope it stays that way!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Moggs
Hey Bufferz, yeah I got it a day or two after submitting. I have the same tutor as T207 though, and he's always insanely fast.

Cheers, Im just going to have to wait....boo!
Reply 5142
Anyone starting A 182 in April or has done it in the past?
Is it enjoyable?
This`ll be my first module/course at the Open University, so I`m really curious how it`ll unravel.
Reply 5143
Original post by Vorenus
Anyone starting A 182 in April or has done it in the past?
Is it enjoyable?
This`ll be my first module/course at the Open University, so I`m really curious how it`ll unravel.

I did it a year and a bit ago (as an October start). Enjoyed it very much and found the tutor I had was very good and supportive. Most of the people on the course were based in Wales, several (including me) further away but with Welsh connections, and a few with no connection at all. I can see it was like that, but thought it was a bit of a shame more people weren't taking it, as it was very good and the approach taken applies to other areas of history.

When I did it, there were three assignments and the first didn't count for anything, so you get eased in gently, which is good if you haven't studied with the OU before.

Good luck with it, and have fun!
Reply 5144
Original post by Tamise
I did it a year and a bit ago (as an October start). Enjoyed it very much and found the tutor I had was very good and supportive. Most of the people on the course were based in Wales, several (including me) further away but with Welsh connections, and a few with no connection at all. I can see it was like that, but thought it was a bit of a shame more people weren't taking it, as it was very good and the approach taken applies to other areas of history.

When I did it, there were three assignments and the first didn't count for anything, so you get eased in gently, which is good if you haven't studied with the OU before.

Good luck with it, and have fun!

Thanks. :smile:

Yeah, seems like it hasn`t changed in its structure, still three assignments and only the last two count. Kinda reassuring as its my first course, as you said.

Personally I have no connection to Wales (living in Germany), but I thought the module sounded interesting and I thought it would be a good thing to get a sneak of studying with the OU and its structure, before starting AA100 in October. :wink:
Once again I'm finding myself wanting to quit the OU. I have no motivation to do any work at all and I'm not enjoying it :frown: I don't want to quit in case it screws up any chance of getting a job that I want in the future but I also don't want to continue... ugh.
Original post by dobbys sock
Once again I'm finding myself wanting to quit the OU. I have no motivation to do any work at all and I'm not enjoying it :frown: I don't want to quit in case it screws up any chance of getting a job that I want in the future but I also don't want to continue... ugh.

Could you switch courses to something you might enjoy more? If the new course is completely different to what you've previously studied, you could put it all towards an open degree?
Or take a break maybe? Come back to the OU in a year or 6 months?
Reply 5147

Give it a week or so. I've found that with all the courses I've completed there has been a time when I have wanted to quit.

Remember, you can substitute TMA scores - which means that you can choose to skip one (although some tutors say you have to hand in something, but you hand that in with the expectation of doing badly). You can also ask for an extension on work - some tutors limit this to one TMA.

So unless you've already missed 2 TMAs then it's not impossible to continue, so stick it out for a while and see if it gets better. Another option is that for some courses you can "suspend" your studies, so you effectively bank your TMA scores and then start again on the next course presentation. This isn't an option for all courses, though, and I think is limited to some level 1 only.

What is it that you're studying?
MST121 & MS221 TMA03 completed simultaneously, thank the lord! Now to crack on with T173 Block 2 + TMA02 ASAP! Should be a welcome break from the maths.
Original post by Bleak Lemming
MST121 & MS221 TMA03 completed simultaneously, thank the lord! Now to crack on with T173 Block 2 + TMA02 ASAP! Should be a welcome break from the maths.

You're so motivated you make me feel bad. :frown:
At least Moggs entertains with his drunken stories and last-minute-TMA-completing.
You with your 90-credits at once whilst holding down a full-time job:angry:
Tell us how you do it....
Original post by Piko_Piko

Tell us how you do it....

Well two of them are L1's so they don't take too much effort, but still gotta read the books!

As for MS221.. I have an exam in June so only in September when the results come out will I know if I've done it!! :l I've made the mistake of booking a holiday the week prior to the exam :frown:!!
Well two of them are L1's so they don't take too much effort, but still gotta read the books!

As for MS221.. I have an exam in June so only in September when the results come out will I know if I've done it!! :l I've made the mistake of booking a holiday the week prior to the exam :frown:!!

Lol don't worry about the exam. The questions are easier than the coursework questions IMHO. Plus you get to take the handbook into the exam. They said you could annotate it, but I didn't dare as I didn't know if it'd be too much, and I didn't want to get accused of cheating.:colondollar:
Lol don't worry about the exam. The questions are easier than the coursework questions IMHO. Plus you get to take the handbook into the exam. They said you could annotate it, but I didn't dare as I didn't know if it'd be too much, and I didn't want to get accused of cheating.:colondollar:

Any idea where the guidelines for the annotating are? Mine is all in pencil so far :smile:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. My biggest worry is that I'm not so good at the questions on the first block as it seems like ages ago since I studied it. I'm sure that it will all come flooding back when I come to my 5 days hardcore revision before the exam :P got all the past papers etc!

Edit: How you getting on with MST209?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5154
I keep checking my emails every 5 seconds in the hope that my TMA has come back :sad:
Any idea where the guidelines for the annotating are? Mine is all in pencil so far :smile:

Sorry, I don't know. Your tutor should, though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. My biggest worry is that I'm not so good at the questions on the first block as it seems like ages ago since I studied it. I'm sure that it will all come flooding back when I come to my 5 days hardcore revision before the exam :P got all the past papers etc!

Edit: How you getting on with MST209?

It's coming slowly but surely. :smile: My only problem is motivation, really. I really need someone to kick me up the arse.
Sorry, I don't know. Your tutor should, though.

It's coming slowly but surely. :smile: My only problem is motivation, really. I really need someone to kick me up the arse.

I had a look at the books at my regional centre a couple of months back, and I must say it looks a lot more well written than MST121 & MS221. Maybe it's just because I have a bit more of an understanding of maths I dunno :/
Looks like the process for declaring what qualification you want transitional funding for is open...
What is this transitional funding business?
The business whereby if you're a current OU student somewhere fees are going through the roof next year (e.g. England) you can carry on only paying what you're paying now while you finish your qualification. So long as you do it by 2017. And study every year from now 'til you're done. And some other stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending