The Student Room Group

pupillage chances

Hello all,

I am applying for pupillage for the first time this year and wanted some advice on my chances. Here is a brief summary of my background:

- LLB Law with Spanish U.of Sheffield ( high 2:1; 1st class results in both Law and Spanish)
- Diploma of Spanish Law, U. of Barcelona ( Erasmus Year)
- LLM Public International Law, UCL ( Distinction)

- 3 years of legal internships: research work at the International Bar Association's Human Rights Institute, law clerk for an Appeals Chamber judge at the International Criminal Court; legal intern at the Centre for Justice and International Law ( NGO based in Argentina which litigates before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights); prosecution intern Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia ( Khmer Rouge Tribunal)

- scholarships: Lord Denning scholarship + Hardwicke Entrance Award from Lincoln's Inn, EU funding for ICC internship; Grant from the International Bar Association.
- languages: native French, fluent in Spanish.

I am interested in public law ( especially human rights), serious crime ( white collar, international criminal law etc), public international law and medical law and am considering applying to the following Chambers: Doughty Street, Matrix, 3RB, 6KBW, Garden Court, Tooks, 36 BR, 11 KBW, 1 COR.

Do you think that this is aiming too high given that I am not an Oxbridge candidate and pre-BPTC? Should I even bother applying to Blackstone?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply 1
You have excellent experience, and that will make you an asset for any chambers. I think you're in with a decent shot, especially with your language skills. You'll be competing with a high standard of applicants but, as long as you accept that you aren't 'entitled' to a pupillage, I think you should be ok :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hocuspocus86
Hello all,

I am applying for pupillage for the first time this year and wanted some advice on my chances. Here is a brief summary of my background:

- LLB Law with Spanish U.of Sheffield ( high 2:1; 1st class results in both Law and Spanish)
- Diploma of Spanish Law, U. of Barcelona ( Erasmus Year)
- LLM Public International Law, UCL ( Distinction)

- 3 years of legal internships: research work at the International Bar Association's Human Rights Institute, law clerk for an Appeals Chamber judge at the International Criminal Court; legal intern at the Centre for Justice and International Law ( NGO based in Argentina which litigates before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights); prosecution intern Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia ( Khmer Rouge Tribunal)

- scholarships: Lord Denning scholarship + Hardwicke Entrance Award from Lincoln's Inn, EU funding for ICC internship; Grant from the International Bar Association.
- languages: native French, fluent in Spanish.

I am interested in public law ( especially human rights), serious crime ( white collar, international criminal law etc), public international law and medical law and am considering applying to the following Chambers: Doughty Street, Matrix, 3RB, 6KBW, Garden Court, Tooks, 36 BR, 11 KBW, 1 COR.

Do you think that this is aiming too high given that I am not an Oxbridge candidate and pre-BPTC? Should I even bother applying to Blackstone?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I wouldn't have said you were aiming too high given your extracurriculars, scholarships, and language skills. As you note, you're not Oxbridge and you don't have a first--which will put you academically below some applicants (particularly at Blackstone).

One thing about applying to Blackstone given your background. You don't mention employment or commercial law, which comprise a big chunk of their work. Especially as a pupil and junior tenant, practice is probably split fairly evenly from what I understand. AFAIK, Blackstone don't do serious crime or medical law (maybe at the fringes), so I'm not sure it's the best-suited set for your interests.

1COR is good on the public law and medical law front, and they're really lovely people. I'm not sure they do serious crime or public international, so if you're really keen on those they might not be the best match.
Reply 3
Say for example if one has obtained a 2:1 or a 1st from a university that is not in the 10 ten, what would the chances of securing a pupillage be?
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies.

I am still unsure about where to apply as I am interested in both public and criminal law, and am struggling to find sets excel in both of those areas. Do you think its worth me applying this year anyway ( given that I am pre BPTC) or should I just wait until next year ( which will allow me to do more minis- I have only done 2 so far- and better determine which Chambers would suit me best)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending