The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ashtiany
Can someone PLEASE provide a good list of slides that I need to include in my presentation? I have a rough idea but I just need to know if what i'm doing is right! :tongue:

One thing I would suggest is in your presentation make a slide describing aventues of research you did NOT peruse... or areas you decided not to include in the project and why?

This gets you lots of evaluation points :biggrin:
Can anyone help me i am doing the EPQ. i want to do it on law as i hope to study it at university but i cannot come up with a title i want to do it on law and black history/rights and also something preferably on the uk e.g brixton riots. Please Help any other suggestions on law are welcome as i dont really mind as long as it is on law.
BUMP
woop my presentation went well and even though I was terrified it was okay, yayayayay
onto conclusion next :biggrin:
would the topic of the legalization of cannabis be suitable for a EPQ based on law??
Original post by crazyangelg
would the topic of the legalization of cannabis be suitable for a EPQ based on law??

I suppose so as long as you are able to write about 5000 words for it then I dont see why not
Reply 2546
Could anyone give me some suggestions on any EPQ subjects that I could do relating to psychology?
Hi, I'm interested in doing an EPQ in economics but I'm struggling to come up with a topic. I'd like to do it on something from micro, rather than a more obvious macro subject like 'the recession'.
Hello party people -.-

Anyway, im in year 12 thinking of doing EPQ on the exploitation of hydrocarbons or something like that, any ideas? Would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 2549
I finished my 5000 words essay yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
good luck everyone who hasnt finished them yet
Reply 2550
Does anyone know if you can do the EPQ twice?
The topic I'm doing at the moment is completely irrelevant for what I want to do at university so it's going to be no use for in interviews etc. :frown:
Original post by UFO
The topic I'm doing at the moment is completely irrelevant for what I want to do at university so it's going to be no use for in interviews etc. :frown:

You can still talk about skills that you learn from doing the project, which will be useful at university.
Original post by UFO

Ive just completed my second epq-even if not relevant, time management and strong independent learning is always highly looked upon. Good luck with it all :smile:
Reply 2553
Original post by FallenMan

Ive just completed my second epq-even if not relevant, time management and strong independent learning is always highly looked upon. Good luck with it all :smile:

Did you do it with the same exam board or a different one? Thank you :smile:
Original post by UFO
Did you do it with the same exam board or a different one? Thank you :smile:

Yup, I did it with the same exam board, obviously 2 different projects, so I could speak of each separately and what I learnt from each and how I developed my own learning through it.
Reply 2555
Someone help! Got my presentation tomorrow and I don't know what to say or do
abstract and bibliography left to do :biggrin:
Can someone please explain the literature review? I still do not get what i actually have to do for it.
Many thanks
How may marks do you get for the actual dissertation? And how is it marked? I have no idea what I am doing.

Thank you
Original post by ChildOfShakespeare
How may marks do you get for the actual dissertation? And how is it marked? I have no idea what I am doing.

Thank you

Okay so if your doing AQA then its out of 50.

10 marks for A01 - Manage, Identify, design, plan, and carry out a project, applying a range of skills, strategies and methods to achieve objectives.

10 marks for -AO2 Use Resources, Research, critically select, organise and use information, and select and use a range of resources. Analyse data, apply it relevantly and demonstrate understanding of any links, connections and complexities of the topic.

20 marks for - AO3 Develop and Realise, Select and use a range of skills, including, where appropriate, new technologies and problem solving, to take decisions critically and achieve planned outcomes.

10 marks for - AO4 ReviewEvaluate all aspects of the extended project, including how outcomes relate to stated objectives and own learning and performance. Select and use a range of communication skills and media, in an appropriate format, to present evidence of project outcomes and conclusions.

As you can see you only get 40% of the marks from the actual project.
What you need to make sure is excellent is your log book and evaluation.

So in your evaluation make sure you say
-you may want to add an extra bit of evaluation at the end of the project, separate from the log book (this is what i did)
-what you could have done better and why didn't you
-limitations you faced, such as access to journals
-what went well
-did you come to a conclusion
-how accurate was the information you used
-what areas did you NOT include that may have been relevant and why (you can pick up lots of evaluation marks for this)

Using your log book:
-make sure you date everything (make it up if needed )
-the conclusion part of the evaluation is rather like an abstract. Which should summarise your findings. This is not an evaluation, but you might like to touch on aspects like limitations of data/information collection.
-Keep in neat and tidy if you can

Other key points
-CHANGE YOUR TITLE (you can gain lots of marks by just changing your title and saying why in your evaluation and this shows development of your question)
- If you have done a research project make sure you include an abstract at the begging.
-Referencing is verryyyyy important (to avoid plagiarism). The best way to reference work is the Harvard method unless its research orientated then you might like to use something like the American Psychological version of referencing.

If you need any more help just ask :biggrin:
-make sure your bibliography is up to date-as it sometimes checked

Quick Reply

Latest