The Student Room Group

Is this a bad thing?

Hey I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2, and I've come to realise that I dont really learn much in my lessons. I've achieved decent grades so far in my AS's (predicted AAA) and I worked hard for them.

But in lessons I struggle to pick up the concepts while we're being taught, I do concentrate but nothing seems to help, however when I go home I find it much easier to follow the textbook and learn it straight from that. I tend to study/revise independently like I dont go to revision sessions etc because I find myself not benefitting from them. So far I have succeeded in this way but I'm not sure it will always have the same outcome.

So i guess my question is: Is my learning style bad? and why do i struggle when being taught by my teachers do you think? Cheers for reading :smile:

Jim, Exeter
Reply 1
Original post by James181
Hey I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2, and I've come to realise that I dont really learn much in my lessons. I've achieved decent grades so far in my AS's (predicted AAA) and I worked hard for them.

But in lessons I struggle to pick up the concepts while we're being taught, I do concentrate but nothing seems to help, however when I go home I find it much easier to follow the textbook and learn it straight from that. I tend to study/revise independently like I dont go to revision sessions etc because I find myself not benefitting from them. So far I have succeeded in this way but I'm not sure it will always have the same outcome.

So i guess my question is: Is my learning style bad? and why do i struggle when being taught by my teachers do you think? Cheers for reading :smile:

Jim, Exeter

I think your learning style is good personally. You're preparing yourself for further education with your independent style of working. Perhaps try teaching yourself ahead of class and then when your teachers go over the topics it will consolidate what you have already learned and improve your knowledge and skills further.
Your learning style is fine if it's what works for you. Some people work better independently, and you may just have a bad teacher who isn't good at explaining the concepts that well?
Or they could be so boring you don't care, but when you do it yourself you find joy in it.
One of my teachers at Gcse would talk FOR EVER on a topic, to help other people who needed the extra help, but to me it was a huge waste of time since I already got it, and insteada letting me go off and study or to do coursework I had to listen to the same notes 3 times a week before we moved on. This drove me to the point where I sat in texted throughout my class but when I got home/lunch I revised from a AQA textbook.

You just have to make an effort to get what they're saying, then try it at home, if then there's something you're unsure of, don't sit and try forcing the information in, ask for help then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending