The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Does anybody do a modern language and linguistics degree? Or just a modern language? I have an offer for Hispanic Studies and Linguistics and am thinking about firming, but I have a few questions.

Because I was told that in most modules books will be read in translation, not in the original language. Do a lot of students (who are good enough in the language) read the works in the original language instead of in translation?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 821
Original post by Loeszie.
Does anybody do a modern language and linguistics degree? Or just a modern language? I have an offer for Hispanic Studies and Linguistics and am thinking about firming, but I have a few questions.

Because I was told that in most modules books will be read in translation, not in the original language. Do a lot of students (who are good enough in the language) read the works in the original language instead of in translation?

Hi, I'm a second year French and Comp Lit student.

If I'm doing a module from the French department or in your case Hispanics, the texts will ALWAYS be studied in the original language.
However, if you are studying a text from the Comp Lit dept (for example) and you have knowledge of the original language, you will always be encouraged to read the text in the language you know. a large number of people on my courses know multiple languages, so many people do this.
Reply 822
Original post by .Scout.
Hi, I'm a second year French and Comp Lit student.

If I'm doing a module from the French department or in your case Hispanics, the texts will ALWAYS be studied in the original language.
However, if you are studying a text from the Comp Lit dept (for example) and you have knowledge of the original language, you will always be encouraged to read the text in the language you know. a large number of people on my courses know multiple languages, so many people do this.

Thank you for your quick answer!
I would like to to study the works in Spanish but was told by the clerical assistant of the SLLF that the works are often studied in translation to make the modules accesible for ab initio students. Can French be taken ab initio as well? Because otherwise there might be a difference between Hispanic Studies and French.
Reply 823
I would like to to study the works in Spanish but was told by the clerical assistant of the SLLF that the works are often studied in translation to make the modules accesible for ab initio students. Can French be taken ab initio as well? Because otherwise there might be a difference between Hispanic Studies and French.

Ah. I don't think French can be done ab initio or if it can be, I've never encountered anyone doing it.
Reply 824
How good is QM at Computer Science Dept? As Ive got an offer for MSc Software Engineering and MSc computer Science. Please response! anyone!!!
Reply 825
in short... which accommodation should i choose?! soooo many choices!
Original post by Azza919
in short... which accommodation should i choose?! soooo many choices!

You don't choose a specific building, you rank the type of room that you want, so en suite premium/standard/economy etc :smile:
If anybody knows how 'a week in the life of a QMUL History and Politics student' would be like, could you please let me know? Thank you.
Reply 828
Are people really segregated at QM?
Like, do the Black people hang out with other Black people, the South Asians with the South Asians, the White folks with the White? Usually people get offended when I ask this question (?) my intentions are good though. Thanks :smile:
Original post by D0LLxo
Like, do the Black people hang out with other Black people, the South Asians with the South Asians, the White folks with the White? Usually people get offended when I ask this question (?) my intentions are good though. Thanks :smile:

not at all... i'd say?
Reply 830

I don't think you can do French as an ab initio degree because they require A-level French (I tried applying in September through clearing and they were really strict about it)- but I'm pretty sure you can learn French in the Language Learning Unit but you might have to pay additional, or you can chose Introductory French as a optional module. I think one of the only languages you can take at a ab initio language is German.
Original post by D0LLxo

Yes you do get some segregation. From my observation, I do usually see only south Asians hanging around with south Asians etc. But not everyone though!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 832
Hi,

Is anyone doing a Masters in Telecommunication Systems?? How is the work load? Do you have free time to go around London and enjoy what it has to offer?

Would appreciate it if people who are doing any type of Masters could reply not just in computing.

Reply 833
Edit. nevermind
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tim147
Hi,

Is anyone doing a Masters in Telecommunication Systems?? How is the work load? Do you have free time to go around London and enjoy what it has to offer?

Would appreciate it if people who are doing any type of Masters could reply not just in computing.

i know someone who's doing telecommunications, don't know if it's the same as what you'll be doing.
I'd say she seems quite relaxed, definitely had time to go around a little bit. But the workload towards the end of 2ed term is quite a lot.... reports and exams, but you'll get through :P Good luck!
im an international ug student wanting to apply for twin rooms. in the application it says basic twin rooom which is 175 pounds. is the rent per person or room. also do they provide attached bathrooms.
This is quite an odd, overthought question but my mom has been obsessing over it...

What's the heating like in Feilden, so I know what kind of duvet to take :colondollar:

When my sister was at university her halls were really hot so she always had a window open and the winter duvet she'd taken up with her was useless but she had nowhere to store it so I guess my mom doesn't want to be thinking about such great catastrophes

Thanks for putting my mother's mind at rest :biggrin:
Original post by HannahtheFauves
This is quite an odd, overthought question but my mom has been obsessing over it...

What's the heating like in Feilden, so I know what kind of duvet to take :colondollar:

When my sister was at university her halls were really hot so she always had a window open and the winter duvet she'd taken up with her was useless but she had nowhere to store it so I guess my mom doesn't want to be thinking about such great catastrophes

Thanks for putting my mother's mind at rest :biggrin:

You will have a switch to operate the heater in your room. My friend was in Feilden this year and always had her heater on. The room was like a sauna.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ResultsDday
You will have a switch to operate the heater in your room. My friend was in Feilden this year and always had her heater on. The room was like a sauna.

Ah okay, thank you! :smile:
Reply 839
could I get away with having a guest for 6 nights? (assuming my flat mates are ok with it?)

Quick Reply