The Student Room Group

Smoking questionnaire.

Hi. This is my questionnaire to understand public opinion on smoking.

Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

2. If yes, why do you smoke?
a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief
c) Other: please specify ____________________________________

3. Which drug do you believe is the least harmful?
a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

4. Are you aware of the negative health impacts of smoking, such as lung cancer and asthma?
a) Yes
b) No

5. Are you aware of the fact that passive smoking kills millions of people per year?
a) Yes
b) No

6. Do you think smoking should be banned?
a) Yes
b) No
Please explain your choice:

Please answer as I need some dataaa!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30 tick
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No tick

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief
c) Other: please specify used to smoke and did it for a number of reasons. Mainly because I became addicted. Smoked for 6 years, quit 4 weeks ago____________________________________

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis tick

4. Are you aware of the negative health impacts of smoking, such as lung cancer and asthma?
a) Yes tick
b) No

5. Are you aware of the fact that passive smoking kills millions of people per year?
a) Yes tick
b) No

a) Yes
b) No tick

Smokers pay for their own treatment with the tax they pay on fags. UK makes a tonne of money off of it. There is no political incentive for the ban other than to appease some doctors who want more power. Plus who're the government to tell me not to.

Reply 2
Original post by Pcline9

Spoiler

Read the quote, you will see I have remove the ones that do not apply to me
Reply 3
Original post by tehFrance
Read the quote, you will see I have remove the ones that do not apply to me

Thanks for your answer.

But I don't understand one thing. Although you smoke, you would still like to see smoking banned.
Why is this? Do you regret deciding to smoke, for example?
Reply 4
Original post by Post
Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30 tick
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No tick

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief
c) Other: please specify used to smoke and did it for a number of reasons. Mainly because I became addicted. Smoked for 6 years, quit 4 weeks ago____________________________________

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis tick

a) Yes tick
b) No

a) Yes tick
b) No

a) Yes
b) No tick

Smokers pay for their own treatment with the tax they pay on fags. UK makes a tonne of money off of it. There is no political incentive for the ban other than to appease some doctors who want more power. Plus who're the government to tell me not to.

Thanks for your input!
Reply 5
Original post by Pcline9
Thanks for your answer.

But I don't understand one thing. Although you smoke, you would still like to see smoking banned.
Why is this? Do you regret deciding to smoke, for example?

Sorry I meant no to smoking a ban... my bad sorry.
Reply 6
Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief
c) Other: please specify ________________________________ ____

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine (assuming that it is just nicotine, not wrapped up in cigarettes with all the other ****)
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No
Please explain your choice: Because from a purely selfish point of view, I think it's disgusting and has killed too many members of my family. I also work in a hospital and see how ill it makes so many people, and how addicted people are- seeing them struggle down from the wards attached to drips and all sorts just to have a ciggie. I know it never will be, free choice and tax revenue and all that jazz, but I still think a phased ban should be in place (no, I don't know how this could be implemented) and better education to prevent people taking it up (though that probably wouldn't help because people know how bad it is for you and they still decide it's a good idea).
Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No
Please explain your choice: I think smoking in public places should be banned. There is no reason why non-smokers should be exposed to smoke they don't want to be - the health implications alone are unfair on someone. For example, if I want to go outside at a club I'd have to go to the smoking area and that's not nice.
Reply 8
Original post by Pcline9

Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief
c) Other: please specify

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No because that's BS.

a) Yes
b) No

The most commonly cited study on the deaths induced through passive smoking is the Worldwide burden of disease from exposure to second-hand smoke by Öberg et al, 2010 which puts the death toll at 600000, with the majority taking place in low-income African countries. Furthermore passive smoking isn't the direct cause of death but rather a catalyst for disease or previously existing conditions. Just sayin.

Although I can fully appreciate the adverse effects of smoking, way too many people are claiming to be aware of a completely fictitious statement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No
I answered based on health impact, compared to other drugs which are banned. But I didn't consider money from tax etc, or the position that more other drugs should be allowed (ie. free choice arguments).

xxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Oldboy5745
The most commonly cited study on the deaths induced through passive smoking is the Worldwide burden of disease from exposure to second-hand smoke by Öberg et al, 2010 which puts the death toll at 600000, with the majority taking place in low-income African countries. Furthermore passive smoking isn't the direct cause of death but rather a catalyst for disease or previously existing conditions. Just sayin.

Although I can fully appreciate the adverse effects of smoking, way too many people are claiming to be aware of a completely fictitious statement.

qft
Original post by Pcline9

Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No
Please explain your choice: even ignoring the obvious liberty concerns which seems to be considered a weak argument for some reason, only an imbecile could look at the current model of drug prohibition and think "yeah, let's do this to cigarettes aswell"

Yes that means I'm calling most people who replied imbeciles.
Original post by Pcline9

Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief
c) Other: Became addicted to tobacco through smoking cannabis with tobacco. Haven't yet quit the cigarettes.

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No - Since the indoor smoking ban, I'd like to see evidence of the millions. A fair few, yes, probably...but millions?

a) Yes
b) No
Nanny state is bad enough as it is. It brings in more through tax and duty than it costs the NHS, it provides jobs.

Done
Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No
It causes many deaths each year.
The habit is vile, everyone thinks its so cool etc. But how is it cool to puff on something that is detroying your body? Just take a razor blade, it's the same thing.
And the age nowadays that children start smoking is appauling. So many young lives dependant on what some call 'cancer sticks'
And they are so easy to get hold of!

If cigarettes were discovered today, they would have been banned.
There is not one positive attribute i can give to smoking
Original post by CrazyPerson

And the age nowadays that children start smoking is appauling. So many young lives dependant on what some call 'cancer sticks'

I think you'll find that people have been smoking from a young age for a very long time now. I knew a fair few people in their 60s and 70s back when I worked at a Working Men's Club who started around 10 years old. Granted, there are tighter controls now, but the point is still valid. :smile:
Original post by Pcline9

Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No because it actually doesn't.

a) Yes
b) No
Please explain your choice: Hard drugs may be illegal, but if you want to find them it's pretty easy. Also, it's none of the government's business what I choose to do.

grtsgfrg
Reply 16
Personal information

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes

c) Other: please specify
Now I smoke because I am addicted to smoking. I have cigarettes at specific times, e.g. before and after something stressful so I think there is also something about the ritual or routine of it. And potentially it seems to be stress relieving although I know it isn't really.

c) Cannabis
If I have to pick one, it's cannabis but it's really hard to answer this question without more information. What kind of harm are you talking about? Physical, social, harmful to societies, greater level of harm to individuals or greater amount of harm to multiple people etc.

a) Yes

a) Yes

b) No
Please explain your choice: Again, banned in what sense? If you mean made illegal then no as it should remain a matter of personal choice (over the age of 18 I think). I think banning smoking in public places, restaurants, pubs etc. has been a good move though. Banning smoking advertising is also good.

1) a - No
2) N/A
3) c - Cannabis
4) a - Yes
5) a - Yes
6) b - No
As much as I don't agree with smoking, it should be free choice. Banning it will not stop people smoking - look at illegal drugs - especially when it has been part of our culture for so long. More needs to be done to ensure people fully understand the dangers and can make informed choices.
Reply 18
Personal information
2. Female

2. 20-30
3. 31-55
4. Over 55

Information on smoking
1. Do you smoke?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Recreational purposes
b) Stress relief

a) Heroin
b) Nicotine
c) Cannabis trick question

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No (There's no medical evidence, actually)

a) Yes
b) No
Please explain your choice: I would err towards yes as it seems slightly ridiculous that we still smoke in this day and age.

Quick Reply