The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nepourmourrir
Hello! I would like to join this thread if that's okay :smile: basically, I have had issues with food since I can remember...didn't eat fruit or veg for near enough 18 years (sounds awful I know) and now, at just under 5'9, I am nearing 12 stone (about 11 stone 11 currently). I am a size 10 top and 12/14 bottoms but I really want to be 10 stone for my holiday at the end of june. I've been eating 800 calories a day and exercising but not much weight seems to be coming off...is it better to eat more? I'm scared that, if I'm only losing 2lbs a week at 800 calories, I won't lose anything a week if I eat more :frown:

Definitely start eating more. As a general guide, you shouldn't go below 1200 calories, and should eat more if you're exercising (sometimes this needs a bit of finw tuning for each person, but it's useful as a general guide).

1-2lbs a week is considered healthy, sustainable weightloss - any more than that and you're likely to plateau/put the weight back on when you start eating normally.

A good place to start is to work out your daily calorie needs, then subtract 500 from that and aim to eat that many calories (I'm on my phone,
so can't link, but google BMR calculator)
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36637088']Definitely start eating more. As a general guide, you shouldn't go below 1200 calories, and should eat more if you're exercising (sometimes this needs a bit of finw tuning for each person, but it's useful as a general guide).

1-2lbs a week is considered healthy, sustainable weightloss - any more than that and you're likely to plateau/put the weight back on when you start eating normally.

A good place to start is to work out your daily calorie needs, then subtract 500 from that and aim to eat that many calories (I'm on my phone,
so can't link, but google BMR calculator)

Hiya thanks for replying, my BMR is 1600 ish and my maintenance is 2200 so do which one do I subtract 500 from? Also isn't that only one pound a week? I need to lose two a week
Hiya thanks for replying, my BMR is 1600 ish and my maintenance is 2200 so do which one do I subtract 500 from? Also isn't that only one pound a week? I need to lose two a week

Use the maintenance, so aim for 1600-1700 (you shouldn't reallt eat below your BMR) then exercise on top of that to make up the rest - a net intake (so calories eat minus calories burnt) of 1200 should work out to roughly a 2lb loss (although obviously everyone is different, so you might have to fiddle with the numbers a bit til you find something that works for you, but they give a good starting point.

Hope that helps a bit. Oh, and welcome to the thread :smile:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36637244']Use the maintenance, so aim for 1600-1700 (you shouldn't reallt eat below your BMR) then exercise on top of that to make up the rest - a net intake (so calories eat minus calories burnt) of 1200 should work out to roughly a 2lb loss (although obviously everyone is different, so you might have to fiddle with the numbers a bit til you find something that works for you, but they give a good starting point.

Hope that helps a bit. Oh, and welcome to the thread :smile:

So does that mean I have to exercise every single day?! Because it takes so long to burn 400 calories, I'm not sure I'd have time to do that what with uni and societies :/ any tips? Thank you :smile:
So does that mean I have to exercise every single day?! Because it takes so long to burn 400 calories, I'm not sure I'd have time to do that what with uni and societies :/ any tips? Thank you :smile:

I'd recommend trying to exercise as often as possible, even if thar just means walking to town instead of getting the bus, etc.

What you can do is adjust you calories depending on how much you do - eat closer to 1700 on days when you do loads, then closer to 1200 on days you don't do anything. I wouldn't recommend eating any less than 1200 though.
Am starting to struggle with hitting 1200 calories... I bought a bunch of fruit in the shopping this week and although I know what foods I could buy to increase my calories, I don't have enough money to buy any more food. Does anyone else have this problem? It's frustrating because I have a giant bag filled with packets of biscuits under my bed but I don't want to resort to them. :/
Reply 966
Started week 2 of C25K on the treadmill today. I was going to then do 25 minutes of HIIT on the exercise bike, but our gym only has one bike, and a really really really good looking guy was on it, so I just left, because I didn't want to look creepy waiting for him to finish. I came home and did level 2 of 30DS because I'm having mashed potato at dinner time, so I wanted to enjoy it guilt free :smile:

Tomorrow I'm going to a uni open day, so I'm going to have to try to grab something quickly in between all the talks, but make sure its healthy.
Reply 967
So, last night ended up eating white chocolate and some cake with icecream. Was very good all day so that, plus vodka with pepsi max, was acceptable I guess. Been super good today :h:
Original post by alabelle
Am starting to struggle with hitting 1200 calories... I bought a bunch of fruit in the shopping this week and although I know what foods I could buy to increase my calories, I don't have enough money to buy any more food. Does anyone else have this problem? It's frustrating because I have a giant bag filled with packets of biscuits under my bed but I don't want to resort to them. :/

Drink some milk. Milk is cheap! :smile:
Original post by marmalady
Drink some milk. Milk is cheap! :smile:

Thanks, that's a really good idea! I only have the naff long-life stuff in at the moment but will get some fresh stuff soon. :smile:
Reply 970
Very sad that tonight is the last official pole class of this term (so no more official ones until September :frown: )
I'll still have my pole, but it's just not the same
Original post by Floob
Very sad that tonight is the last official pole class of this term (so no more official ones until September :frown: )
I'll still have my pole, but it's just not the same

:frown:
I had my last class of the term yesterday, but hopefully we're still having classes next term (she's planning on doing them on a drop-in basis, rather than paying for the whole term upfront, so that people can be flexible about deadlines etc)

Got the Intro to Aerial owrkshop with pole people on Satruday though :smile:

-----

Ooops. I caved and bought a packet of those Cadbury's 'snack' biscuits :colondollar: I did manage to make then last an hour though :biggrin: Diet's been pretty good the rest of the day, and I've done 20 minutes of pilates/walked 4.5 miles, so I don't think it's too bad.
Reply 972
Alright day today:smile:

Breakfast: bagel with peanut butter
Lunch: chilli chicken soup, popcorn (had lunch in town with a friend)
Afternoon: wholemeal pitta with light philadelphia and cherry tomatoes, nakd bar
Dinner: spicy noodles, veg curry, daal

Also cycled ~4miles, but my knees are getting so so painful!

I popped into Topshop with my friends earlier and fitted into a size 10 top?! I am definitely not a size 10, clothes sizes are crazyyyyy!
Reply 973
Had a bit of a weird day food wise.

I felt ill this morning so didn't have any breakfast.
For lunch I had salad with some coleslaw and ham.
For dinner I've just had a bacon sandwich! Really bad I know, but I had my teacher consultations today and didn't get back until quarter to seven, so couldn't really be bothered to do anything.
I've also eaten a banana and an orange.
I'm not really hungry, but do you think I should eat anything else as it doesn't seem much?!
Reply 974
Ran for an hour today :eek: think that's the longest I've been out for, and I didn't even feel that tired at the end. Strange. I had intended to only go out for half an hour, but then I got lost :tongue:

Had a horrendous week diet wise, think I must have put on at least 2 pounds... not good. But back on it now!!

Hope everyone's having a happy and healthy week so far :biggrin:
Reply 975
Food for today:

Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with prosciutto, shallots and garlic with salad, cucumber and paprika olives.

Lunch: Bowl of homemade tomato soup

Snack: 3 sesame rice cakes with reduced fat hummus

Dinner: Grilled mackerel and lemon with cumin spiced buckwheat, roasted tomatoes, salad, cucumber and olives.

My diet is so repetitive at the moment that it's actually quite embarassing to log on here!
I've done a video blog. :biggrin:.

Spoiler

EDIT: Spoilered. Nobody needs to see my face quite that big!
Reply 977
Anyone watching Supersize vs Superskinny?
I feel so sad for that boy, he seems completely in denial and he was crying and everything :frown:
I feel ridiculous for being sad for a stranger but I hope he does well!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I've done a video blog. :biggrin:.

Spoiler

EDIT: Spoilered. Nobody needs to see my face quite that big!

Awesome vlog, hope you don't leave it this long next time! :tongue:

----

Had a decent day today, but just don't feel hungry enough to eat everything I've planned for today... :s-smilie: Pre-TOTM always does this to me though... tmi sorry.

Breakfast: Fat free vanilla yogurt and raisins
Lunch: Egg mayonnaise sandwich with two satsumas
Dinner: Pasta in a tomato sauce with sweetcorn and peppers
Snack: Porridge with jam, four squares of dark chocolate, and 100g grapes

Exercise: 5 miles walking

Had to eat the pasta today instead because of the veg pot yesterday. :redface: I regret nothing though, it was lovely! :tongue:
Urghhh went to the buffet. Underestimated just how much I can eat seeing as I used to be able to eat loads and loads before, and my friends ate more than me for a change. Resulted in me feeling disgustingly sick and full and had to leave the table and ended up throwing it up. Miserable experience and now I still feel so ill :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest