The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8260
Original post by Appeal to reason
RUSSIAN! Thats awesome. Wish I could do AFM, but AQA don't run it. :cry2:

Added.

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Isn't that a bit boring?

I'm only doing the AS! :tongue: Besides, maths is never boring!
(edited 12 years ago)
Would you advise if I was to self teach M3, that I should read ahead for (at least some of) M2 before hand in that case? I understand there is a risk with self teaching, but I wouldn't be totally alone in it, I understand that one of the teachers at my college has experience teaching M3 and has helped those who have self taught it in the past.

I know Stats and Decision are easy modules, however I find them mind numbingly boring, and Mechanics modules are prefered by Cambridge. If I were to do M3, it would take my total modules up to 14, meaning my worst two modules would be going spare at the end of A2 Fmaths. So I have a margin for error, and as a result, theres nothing really for me to lose by doing M3.

Definitely glance over the topics mentioned in the syllabus of M3 for AQA, see if there's any links or reference to M2, your teachers should also be able to assist you on this. And if your teachers have had previous experience of self-learners that's even more encouraging.

My best guess would be there is at least some previous knowledge required from M2. Rectilinear motion and differential equations are probably the big 2, along with all the basic physics-y stuff (Hooke's law, work-energy principle, dynamics of a particle). But to an extent M3 is a separate module, so you can definitely self teach quite a bit without knowledge from M2. I'd advise to adhere to the "natural" or pre-set path made by the exam boards (i.e. M3 after M2) where it is possible to do so. But that is more for the sake of understanding and linking the work together. If I were in your position, I would skip over M2 quickly, then start looking at M3 in some depth. The people of most help to you for this would be your teachers though. Best of luck with it all :smile:
Original post by wcp100

Here this is one set for my homework:

Q3 STEP I 04.png

Oh this question was rather enjoyable. Although when I did this question (last summer) I was pretty susceptible to silly mistakes.

Can I ask what resources you use to self teach the maths modules you've done? :smile:
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Oh this question was rather enjoyable. Although when I did this question (last summer) I was pretty susceptible to silly mistakes.

Can I ask what resources you use to self teach the maths modules you've done? :smile:

I have the PC version of the M3 textbook. I bought the M4 textbook and I have my brothers C3,C4 and M2 textbook. Everything else I google. I also have a really good book called Early Transcendentals which is really good.
Leeds;
Cambridge;
Birmingham;
Manchester;
Sheffield.

Or

Imperial;
Cambridge;
Brimingham;
Manchester
Sheffield.
Reply 8265
Original post by wcp100
Leeds;
Cambridge;
Birmingham;
Manchester;
Sheffield.

Or

Imperial;
Cambridge;
Brimingham;
Manchester
Sheffield.

No Warwick?! :eek:
Original post by und
No Warwick?! :eek:

I'm applying for Chem Eng. not maths:tongue:
Reply 8267
Original post by wcp100
I'm applying for Chem Eng. not maths:tongue:

Ah, that makes everything a lot clearer! :biggrin:
Reply 8268
Anyone else staying up to see the grade boundaries?
I made my university decisions today..

Oxford
Lancaster
UCL
Manchester
Nottingham
Original post by ElMoro
Anyone else staying up to see the grade boundaries?

I'm not sleeping whether I like it or not.
You've been added :smile:

cheers :smile:
Reply 8272
Original post by wcp100
I'm not sleeping whether I like it or not.

58/70 for max UMS in PHYA2

65/70 for max UMS in CHEM1

(if you didn't already know)
Original post by ElMoro
58/70 for max UMS in PHYA2

65/70 for max UMS in CHEM1

(if you didn't already know)

It's okay I suppose. I'm still really nervous. Thanks for telling me though...
Original post by DanielMartin
Wahey. Great minds think alike... scientists and maths teachers can go finger themselves!

They do :biggrin: Philosophy :love:
Omg lmao! :laugh:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
They do :biggrin: Philosophy :love:
Omg lmao! :laugh:

:biggrin:

67 pages into Mill... He's boring. I want to punch him. Nietzsche's ramblings pertain to my thoughts more xD
Original post by acceptingme
I made my university decisions today..

Oxford
Lancaster
UCL
Manchester
Nottingham

Have fun :tongue:

Original post by DanielMartin
:biggrin:

67 pages into Mill... He's boring. I want to punch him. Nietzsche's ramblings pertain to my thoughts more xD

:unimpressed:
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Have fun :tongue:

:unimpressed:

I admit, his thoughts on the individual and conformity are refreshing, but forgive me for saying this, he repeats himself... quite a bit.
Anyone else started ****ting it about tomorrow?
Original post by Boom533
Anyone else started ****ting it about tomorrow?

Boom ....I started weeks ago...

Latest