The Student Room Group

The Kony 2012 Campaign

So, this video has been all over my Facebook and Twitter etc. I'm assuming some have you have heard about this already.

For those who haven't, it's a campaign for the capture and arrest of Joseph Kony (Ugandan guerilla group leader.) Most people don't know who Kony is, so the aim at the moment is to get him known to the world for his crimes.

Could this online campaign lead to real world justice? (Are the US Government doing enough? / Getting involved in something they shouldn't be?)

Scroll to see replies

I watched this video earlier and found it shocking how such horrible, disturbing events can go unheard in the majority of the world for so long. I really hope the campaign can help awareness of Kony and the crimes he's committed.
In response to your question, are the US Government doing enough? I think that it is really easy to criticise the U.S. Government here, with the fact that they ignored the issue for 8 years until they eventually sent 100 soldiers to Uganda. However, the U.S. Government operate with the interests of the U.S. at the forefront of their minds, and 8 years ago when Invisible Children had just started campaigning against Kony, only a very small minority of people knew about him, which is why the Government did nothing. I'm not saying that is right at all, if anything a country with such an enormous world influence should have acted earlier. But at least the U.S. have listened and have made some effort to send soldiers. Now people need to help by giving the government support to send more than the 100 U.S. soldiers that are currently in Uganda.

But I think this campaign video is going the right way about making a difference - they realise that if government's are going to act to arrest Kony, then they need the backing of the people. Support from the people can only come about once people are made aware of the nature of Kony's crimes.
I think the campaign's ingenious and so ridiculously easy to be part of.

You don't even have to pay anything (which is what normally limits people on their actions to this kind of thing) and all it takes is every person to make one facebook status or twitter update and it all contributes. Our culture right now is social media and this is a perfect way to make best use of the tools we have available.

Would be better than seeing millions of updates about every bit of food someone has eaten in their day anyway. . .
Reply 4
This campaign is brilliant!! It's spreading loads already :biggrin:
Does anyone know if the poster thing on april 20th is happening in the UK?

Also, anyone know if there's a proper UK contingent?
Reply 6
Such an amazing campaign. Shared and donated already. I can't believe humans can behave so horrifically to each other, lets hope this is the last year of Kony's crusade.
Reply 7
It really is inspiring!
I cant seem to find a UK section either... I think there should be one as this should be an international campaign and we should be putting pressure on our government as well. I am willing to help start it but I need some help anyone interested?
Reply 8
Was wondering about the UK section too. It would be good to get involved and put pressure on our Government as well.
I just watched it from one of my friend's facebook. She is a person who does not always give a toss about anything, but it made her cry.

It is very inspiring that few people noticed the problem 8 years ago and went to actually do something about it.

While the name Muammar Gaddafi was all over the news, on the other side of the same continent there was someone just as worse if not worser orderring abductions and killings thousands of people. I honestly find it unbelievable that none of us knew anything about such horrible crimes committed by one selfish, power hunger and inhumane monster such as Joseph Kony.

Watching the video made me so worried about people in Africa who have their lives at risk of being murderred. I hope this campaign succeed.

Sorry I am being so emotional here. :frown:
Reply 10
I can't seem to find any UK base but would be happy to help start it - I want to do something about this right now!
Reply 11
Original post by desdemona
I can't seem to find any UK base but would be happy to help start it - I want to do something about this right now!

Well looks like someone beat me to it, I literally just logged in to post the exact same thing, It is shocking and this movement is fantastic mucho respect to the guy and the rest of his followers, it is more than certain going to be a life changing event, and I would be more than Happy to be involved with a UK base for this!

I want to start now aswell!
Reply 12
Unreported World did a good programme on the LRA a few years back, it's worth a watch.
Original post by P4zza
It is more than certain going to be a life changing event, and I would be more than Happy to be involved with a UK base for this!

I want to start now aswell!

Agreed, I'd love to help out! :smile:

I woke up this morning without a clue who he was, or what the Kony Campaign was, I'm going to sleep inspired to help fight for justice :smile:

Put me down for any help on a UK base too!
If you have not heard of the man Joseph Kony Click on the link!
Lets stop this evil man.

http://youtu.be/Y4MnpzG5Sqc
I don't really understand the point of this video. Obama already sent troops to Uganda in 2011 so the most powerful man in the world already knows about this guy and is attempting to stop him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army_Disarmament_and_Northern_Uganda_Recovery_Act When he is found, he'll most likely be either killing or tried (probably killed). Hence, what's the point of this video? What is awaring a bunch of westerners going to do for the people? Ugandans already heard and know of him. If it had some sort of message like telling people to protest their governments to send some troops there or something then I can understand but it's relatively pointless campaign.
So would i, !
No they won't, you do realize that the public didn't even give a **** about this **** when Obama was starting this right? They were probably against this considering republicans media host were using it to show how Obama is just increasing war and trying to slander him. It isn't costing the US much and they aren't heavily invested, the US will continue this.
While I agree that these is evil and needs to be stopped, the cold reality is that this sort of thing is happening all across Africa, and people turn a,blind eye because it doesn't concern them. Creating this huge worldwide manhunt may help to track down this one man, but after that has happened we'll all give ourselves a pat on the back and carry on with our lives as if Africa has been saved. While I think this is a good campaign, the responses to it really show just how ignorant Americans (no, everyone) is in regards to what really happens, and the reasons are media censorship, nobody wants to get involved so these crimes go unreported. I hope we will start to see a big change, but unfortunately I doubt it will happen, what's more likely is people will watch this video, retweet it and then go back to living in their decadent bubble.
Reply 19
Problem is that the action kit costs $30 (which is alrightish) but they slap another $20 on top for international shipping. There has to be some way of accessing it in the UK to make this make any sense, because reposting on Facebokk doesnt do a damn, and is not the point of the campaign.

But that will never happen, because mobilsing people in the UK or elsewhere is entirely irrelevant to the campaign organisers. Its a nice bonus, but it is ultimately entirely irrelevant. This is an attempt to exert public pressure on the US administration, so mobilising people in the UK makes no difference for the simple but massively important reason that they cannot vote in the US. The way this works is the US system of lobbyable Congressmen/women who can be targetted by their constituencies, so it actually makes an impact there. But starting it here really IS a 'feel-good-about-ourselves' exercise, hard as it sounds.

Obviously I reposted it massively, and as you can see I also tried to buy the kit - but there isn't really a point, unless people would intend to turn this against Cameron too. And that wouldn't work, because in the US Invisible Children is a massive, organised, financed advocacy-group. As much as it looks htat way on the surface, this can in no way be drawn up by a few student as a part-time activity.

Quick Reply

Latest