The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Doesn't anyone find Imperial's overseas tuition fees insane?

22 000- 24 000 for the overseas students?? :angry:

and they all have to pay it at once and cant spread it over number of years :s-smilie:
you think thats insane, look at America's
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
By all at once, do you mean the annual tuition fees, or the tuition fees for all the three/four years at once? I'm ****ed if it's the latter :P
Original post by bmqib
By all at once, do you mean the annual tuition fees, or the tuition fees for all the three/four years at once? I'm ****ed if it's the latter :P

im not sure, but in the UK its paid in the form of some tax right over your lifetime.. which is far easier
Well the university is subsidised by British taxpayers for British students. It doesn't seem fair that foreign students should pay so much to study at some of the best universities but it also seems rather unfair to suggest British taxpayers should subsidise and underwrite foreign students' educations.
Original post by Rob da Mop
Well the university is subsidised by British taxpayers for British students. It doesn't seem fair that foreign students should pay so much to study at some of the best universities but it also seems rather unfair to suggest British taxpayers should subsidise and underwrite foreign students' educations.

On top of that, home / EU students receive financial help in the form of maintenance loan / grants but internationals don't, so I can see why international students would have a problem :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by thegodofgod
On top of that, home / EU students receive financial help in the form of maintenance loan / grants but internationals don't, so I can see why international students would have a problem :redface:

Whereas students from EEA countries are eligible for the governmental tution fee loan, maintenance or living grants/loans are in most cases reserved for UK-students, as far as I`ve understood it.
Reply 7
I think it's alright, but there should be more opportunities for scholarships at the undergraduate level for really good non-eu students. There's pretty much none, except at some colleges in Oxford.
Original post by Rob da Mop

Of course it would be unfair, but where exactly does that extra money all go? All the other unis seem to manage without charging so much from internationals.

and imperial has a really high percentage of them compared to other unis
Reply 9
Original post by blacklistmember
22 000- 24 000 for the overseas students?? :angry:

and they all have to pay it at once and cant spread it over number of years :s-smilie:

Have you seen the buildings there? With the amount you're paying, you should get a better deal out of it :s-smilie:

I think you're paying for the automatic revolving door in the main entrance that always gets people stuck somehow :teehee:
Reply 10
If I get into SGUL, I would be paying around 120,000 pounds in total over 5 years for medicine, and I can totally understand why, they are increasing the tuition for home students since the government can't support it, they don't have money for international students, international students are just mini-economic opportunities. Its really not unfair, its government subsidized public universities, now if it were private universities and you were paying extra, that would be unfair.

Scratch that, its 135,000 pounds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by AbuAK
If I get into SGUL, I would be paying around 120,000 pounds in total over 5 years for medicine

:eek4:
Reply 12
Original post by kka25
:eek4:

Would cost me same or a little less in Canada over doing 4 years of undergrad and then 4 years of medical school, that is saying IF I get into medical school in Canada, which is obscenely hard.
If you don't think it's worth paying then don't go!

The British taxpayer have worked their (metaphorical) *******s off to subsidise me, not you. (Not EU students either... but that's another argument)
Reply 14
Original post by AbuAK
Would cost me same or a little less in Canada over doing 4 years of undergrad and then 4 years of medical school, that is saying IF I get into medical school in Canada, which is obscenely hard.

Such a big if, but the re-training if you want to come back is also a hassle.
Reply 15
Original post by Kongaloosh
Such a big if, but the re-training if you want to come back is also a hassle.

With a UK degree you just have to take the that MCQEE test or w.e its called, get certified and get accepted to a residency which can be done if you are a Canadian citizen, its hard but its doable, a lot of the IMGs are from countries like India, Pakistan and stuff who have a much harder time, a family friend of mine was able to secure a Paediatrics residency without too much difficulty and she has a degree from Newcastle.
Or you can just go the US route.
Or stay in England, its not that bad.

Quick Reply

Latest