The Student Room Group

Art and design ocr a2 2012

got the paper a couple of weeks ago.. stuck between :

torso

mobile

facades

need some ideas on each topic no matter how strange or obscure!
hoping im not the only one in this position but i couldn't find ANYTHING on this topic anywhere!
need some help!:confused::confused::confused:

the exam titles are terrible this year, lucky us eh? :frown:

for torso, i thought about the idealised classical roman man found in sculptures, paintings etc, but it would be a little difficult to take photos for. you could also look at how the torso gives a dramatic effect, for example people showing their hunched backs kind of like this - http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_449/1257001826QbdH0x.jpg

mobile..i'd think of people moving about quickly, perhaps you could take pictures on a slow shutter speed to give a feeling of movement? you could pick energetic subject matters like sports or nightlife.

facade would be more conceptual, but i'd perhaps look at portraiture, maybe even look at makeup and how people use it to hide themselves? i don't have many photographable ideas for this one haha.

those were just some of my initial thoughts when looking at the titles, hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by stephaniecharlotte
got the paper a couple of weeks ago.. stuck between :

torso

mobile

facades

need some ideas on each topic no matter how strange or obscure!
hoping im not the only one in this position but i couldn't find ANYTHING on this topic anywhere!
need some help!:confused::confused::confused:

They sound awkward, are they the only choices? What else is there?
The choices on the first page are impasto, Geometric, Shade, Mobile, Hieroglyphics, Vessel, Facades, Neon, Gesture and torso.

I got stuck deciding too :frown:
I just ended up choosing mobile and now im drawing mobile phones.. dull as hell to draw but theres a ton of rubbish i can do on photoshop later. Im pretty bad at gestural drawing and drawing people so gesture and torso were out :frown: What is everyone else up too?
Reply 4
Ive chosen to do facades this year mainly because im really intrested in architecture and im going to do it at university but i have no idea where to start?! any ideas?!

i was also thinking for torso you could probably look at the musculature of different torsos possibly the anotomical view of the torso too.
Original post by dull_brilliance
The choices on the first page are impasto, Geometric, Shade, Mobile, Hieroglyphics, Vessel, Facades, Neon, Gesture and torso.

I got stuck deciding too :frown:
I just ended up choosing mobile and now im drawing mobile phones.. dull as hell to draw but theres a ton of rubbish i can do on photoshop later. Im pretty bad at gestural drawing and drawing people so gesture and torso were out :frown: What is everyone else up too?

i'm doing gesture, looking at portraiture, specifically facial expressions and hand gestures. not the most exciting project, but the title choices were rubbish!
Reply 6
Any idea for impasto? It's quite a specific topic can't play around with it a lot other than the image you're painting
I totally agree the choices were rubbish, theres nothing there that stands out. I've decided on shade, doing black and white drawings although i dont know what of yet :s-smilie:
Reply 8
The choices were amazing! So open to interpretation. You can be so individual and creative with them. Much better than the AS ones we got last year. I mean shopping trolley? come on. That's the only one I remember apart from the one I did which was Handstand.
Reply 9
I quite liked the exam paper this year, I thought last years was awkward. But hey. :smile: Have you looked beyond the first page? No. 18 is like, my perfect exam question ever, and some of the other ones are fairly nice.

For mobile I instantly thought of like a kids mobile, with little figures; if you could hold of an ornate one or maybe make one the shadows from that would look good (and that could lead onto shadow puppets etc). Although I'm a photography nerd so I think of everything in terms of what looks good as a photogram.

I'm a bit brain dead today so that's all I've got really. :smile:
Reply 10
(first post, yay!)

Just a small suggestion, but when I did my GSCE I had basically decided what I wanted to before I got the paper. I then chose the closest title to what i wanted to do. If you're enthusiastic about what you're doing and you have some good ideas then that should really show through even if it is a little off whatever topic you've chosen. Art is about development, so you could even search around to see how you can get closer you your desired topic. Sorry this doesn't really help the OP, but i hope someone might find this helpful.

Original post by gpostleth
Any idea for impasto? It's quite a specific topic can't play around with it a lot other than the image you're painting

My suggestion would be to research impasto painters, but you don't necessarily have to follow that technique all the way through. You can use their subjects instead of just their technique eg. Artist's study on Lucien Freud, and then go onto portraiture (but you could do some drawing etc.). Our teacher said that the subjects are a "springboard for your ideas". I really wouldn't suggest getting to stuck in one technique, especially if its restricts your development.

Original post by Lauren Elice
I totally agree the choices were rubbish, theres nothing there that stands out. I've decided on shade, doing black and white drawings although i dont know what of yet :s-smilie:

2 suggestions, although these are quite personal, so you might not like them: 1) M.C. Escher. Mainly worked in B&W drawings. 2) I recently bough a book called "Strokes of Genius 3, The best of drawing (fresh perspectives)" Mainly B&W drawings, etchings and some Pyrography. The artists in there are amazing, and it could give you some ideas.

Anyway, hope that these ideas can be of help to someone, even if its not necessarily the people i'm replying to :smile: !
Reply 11
hey guys ! , how's everyone getting on? I've decided to do shade this year.. So far i've only looked at Charles Sheeler.. I'm thinking to perhaps move onto shades of skin , then maybe tattoos or the bruising of skin.. what's everyone else doing for this particular topic ?

and yes, i have to aggree. . the questions were quite terrible this year ha.

Quick Reply

Latest