The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Interdisciplinary science foundation course at Leeds

Hii,

Well I applied for this foundation course and wondering if anyone else has also applied for this course at leeds university? Itll be nice to get to know someone and what you want to do after it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hey, I have applied for 2012 entry to this course have you heard back yet.
Reply 3
Hi

I've applied for the Interdisciplinary science foundation course at Leeds. I have an interview on the 22nd of March... Have any of you got an interview yet?

Sadia
Reply 4
Original post by Sadia 321
Hi

I've applied for the Interdisciplinary science foundation course at Leeds. I have an interview on the 22nd of March... Have any of you got an interview yet?

Sadia

hi sadia...first of all congrats for ur interview:smile::smile::smile:...hope u do well:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:..wat are you planning to do after completing the interdisciplinary science course...and wat was your personal statement based on ...

thanks ...and gud luk for ur interview...let us know how it went
Reply 5
Hi I'm thinking of doing the interdisciplinary science course as well, the only thing I'm worried about is I read it is nothing like a normal first year at uni because of all the work, do you think that will be the case? Because having a fun student life/joining societies and making friends is really important to me, what do you guys think?

Thanks. :smile:
hi, i applied to the foundation year also, and im hoping to study the Beng/Meng in Civil Engineering after completing this first year.
so far i received an offer through UCAS, and my interview and selection day is tommorow!!!

wish me luck, and all the best to everyone else :biggrin:
Hi guys, I was actually on the Interdisciplinary Science foundation year or CFG0 as it's referred to. Was on the course year starting 2010-11. The course itself is quite challenging a lot...and I mean a lot of work to cover in such a short time. Maintaining a balance throughout the year between studying and partying is the key to success here. Do not leave work to the last minute! (Like I did lol)

Most of the year is based at Leeds City College with one lecture a week actually based on the Uni campus...I know it's not exciting but work hard and you'll be transferred onto your chosen course the following year. There is a vast amount of progression choices to choose from..nanotechnology (me :biggrin:) to Astrophysics and medicine it's all there. Each progression choice has different entry requirements and compulsory modules you have to do.

Last year there were some exceptional students who did really well...like averaged 90% overall for the year...work hard and there's a chance of a scholarship. I know of two students who managed to get it.

You have some great lecturers...in particular Gary Dickinson (mathematics) and Bob (physics)..they're awesome!! You will find some modules may not be as exciting as you would like but it's important to keep up with work from day one.

Happy to answer any questions :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
hey, could you tell us what the reading materials are...

I have had a look on their website and alot of the content looks exactly the same as A level.
Hey! Yeah AS and A level books will be all you need really. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Hi
I received an offer for this course and they've specifically asked me to get certain grades. Will I get in if I don't get the grades but get the 200 ucas points required?
Reply 11
after i complete my interdisciplinary science foundation degree would i be transferred to the degree? would i need to do another interview?,

thank you
Reply 12
Sherozk,

It all depends on which degree programme you hope to transfer on to at the UofL.
Reply 13
Original post by Ajay91
Sherozk,

It all depends on which degree programme you hope to transfer on to at the UofL.

i want to do History and Physics of Science with Physics
(i haven't studied Physics or Mathematics at A-level)

All i want to know is;
-if i pass the foundation year would i be guaranteed the degree
-And would i need to do a interview
on the website is states it's a transfer
Reply 14
Original post by sherozk
i want to do History and Physics of Science with Physics
(i haven't studied Physics or Mathematics at A-level)

All i want to know is;
-if i pass the foundation year would i be guaranteed the degree
-And would i need to do a interview
on the website is states it's a transfer

Providing you meet the entry requirements the progression degree requires, which typically is certain grades in modules and a overall grade.

A interview is only compulsory for all Healthcare related programmes.

Some of the content is similar to A levels, not all of it. As from 2013 entry all teaching will move from Leeds College to UofL, so content/style of teaching is subject to change.
Reply 15
Hi, are you sure this course is taught on the university site?
Reply 16
Original post by _Lo
Hi, are you sure this course is taught on the university site?

I think it's taught at the "LLC". I don't know what that is, I'm applying here however
Reply 17
Original post by AR_95
I think it's taught at the "LLC". I don't know what that is, I'm applying here however

I just emailed the LLC and they said that it is taught at the university main site :smile:, their online site need updating haha.
Hi Guys,

Please can you let me know which course you are referring to/which part of the website you are looking at and I'll make sure our website is updated!

Thanks
Laura
University of Leeds

Original post by _Lo
I just emailed the LLC and they said that it is taught at the university main site :smile:, their online site need updating haha.
The LLC is the Lifelong Learning Centre which is a centre for mature and part-time students at the university. I used to work for them and with Sheryl Meskin who is the course leader. It is a challenging course but has high pass rates and a perfect prep course for a higher-level science based degree. Many students do go on to study courses such as nanotechnology and astrophysics!

Quick Reply

Latest