The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Determined*
I know what you mean lol. Some people I know aren't too keen on UEA but I can't understand why! The people all seem so lovely, the campus is beautiful and it is very highly ranked. What is not to love! Same here I cannot wait to start. I have 15 out of 15 distinctions so far and waiting back on 21 credits at the moment so just hoping that if they are at distinction then would only be the 9 merits to go! :smile: Fingers crossed :smile:

At one point I actually had a little map of Britain in my pocket ready to whip out every time people asked me "Where's Norwich?" :lol: It is beautiful, so excited to move there! Wow, well done! :biggrin: So which qualifications are you studying then?
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
At one point I actually had a little map of Britain in my pocket ready to whip out every time people asked me "Where's Norwich?" :lol: It is beautiful, so excited to move there! Wow, well done! :biggrin: So which qualifications are you studying then?

Lol I am actually from Norwich and have lived here all of my life so havn't had that problem lol. I do love living here though and could never imagine moving away so going to UEA would make it even better :smile:
I am studying the Access to Higher Education in Humanities and Social Sciences. I study Psychology, Sociology and Government & Politics which is good. The course is made up of 60 credits and you gain the credits from assignments as you go along the course with the grades either pass, merit or distinction. I have completed 15 credits so far which were at distinction and am waiting back for the marks on a load of different assignments worth 21 credits which will take me up to 36 credits and then only 24 credits left to go. One of the last biggest assignments is a 12 credit 4000 word dissertation so should be fun! But luckily as this offer is 36 distinction and 9 merits it means that 15 of the credits only need to be at pass or above which is a bit of a relief not that I want to get any at pass though! lol
Which course are you doing at the moment and what offer requirements have you been given?
Reply 1202
Original post by jelly1000
If you've seen the campus before on a normal open day then no you won't miss a huge ammount, post offer open days are just a good refresher. Course details are on the website- just go to uea.ac.uk, undergraduate and find your course. If you haven't been to the open day, check this link out
http://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/campus-tours

There are campus tours running every Friday if you will be down then, and it says how to book them. If not then if you have a look 3/4's of the way down it gives you a link to an unaccompanied campus tour leaflet which can be done anytime- I'd reccomend you do this. You won't be able to see inside the accomodation block or the library but you can get a feel for the campus.

I've not been down before, I kinda chose it at the last minute but I'm so glad I did because I love the course! I'm going down on Tue/Wed but I'm definitely going to do that self-guided tour, thanks so much! And do you know much about the accommodation, like where's the best place in your opinion?
Original post by ClaraMay
I've not been down before, I kinda chose it at the last minute but I'm so glad I did because I love the course! I'm going down on Tue/Wed but I'm definitely going to do that self-guided tour, thanks so much! And do you know much about the accommodation, like where's the best place in your opinion?

Really the best place depends on your budget and priorities. If you aren't fussed about sharing a bathroom then Norfolk/Suffolk is supposed to be great- social, the rooms are a decent size and my friend who is there said she has never had to wait long to use the bathroom- you get 2 showers and 3 toilets per flat. I'm in Britten House- one of the ensuite campus halls and personally I love it- 5 mins from the main square, decent sized room, decent sized bathroom with the shower set back from the toilet so it doesnt flood the bathroom when you use. It is however the most expensive option on campus so don't go for it if choosing it means you'll have no money for anything else! The village is a good choice if you want an ensuite but dont want to pay so much- 5 mins walk from the sportspark entrance to campus, kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms are smaller than on campus but they still do the job. No idea about Orwell/Woolfson.

Hello! This is a little bit creepy but if you'd like any help with a tour let me know and I can assist if available! I'm a student tour guide btw, not just some randomer :tongue:
Lol I am actually from Norwich and have lived here all of my life so havn't had that problem lol. I do love living here though and could never imagine moving away so going to UEA would make it even better :smile:
I am studying the Access to Higher Education in Humanities and Social Sciences. I study Psychology, Sociology and Government & Politics which is good. The course is made up of 60 credits and you gain the credits from assignments as you go along the course with the grades either pass, merit or distinction. I have completed 15 credits so far which were at distinction and am waiting back for the marks on a load of different assignments worth 21 credits which will take me up to 36 credits and then only 24 credits left to go. One of the last biggest assignments is a 12 credit 4000 word dissertation so should be fun! But luckily as this offer is 36 distinction and 9 merits it means that 15 of the credits only need to be at pass or above which is a bit of a relief not that I want to get any at pass though! lol
Which course are you doing at the moment and what offer requirements have you been given?

Ah, I live in the North of Scotland and I was pretty keen to leave, so UEA it was. :love: Ooh, don't envy you there! I've got 2 long investigations and a history essay to write before the end of term, hooray. Cos I'm in Scotland I'm doing Advanced Highers, so I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology, and doing another Higher in History just for laughs. :lol: Then UEA gave me an unconditional because they take offers just based on Highers (I thought it had said advanced highers on the website) so I thought "Yes!!! So going there now!" :biggrin:
Ah, I live in the North of Scotland and I was pretty keen to leave, so UEA it was. :love: Ooh, don't envy you there! I've got 2 long investigations and a history essay to write before the end of term, hooray. Cos I'm in Scotland I'm doing Advanced Highers, so I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology, and doing another Higher in History just for laughs. :lol: Then UEA gave me an unconditional because they take offers just based on Highers (I thought it had said advanced highers on the website) so I thought "Yes!!! So going there now!" :biggrin:

You are coming from quite a distance then! Im sure it will be a great experience for you though having such a big change :smile: I am sure that you will love living in Norwich when you get here. It is a lovely place to live :smile:
Thats absolutely great that you have an unconditional then. Must be such a relief :smile: Sounds like you are very busy with all of them subjects then! I suppose at least its great preparation keeping yourself busy now before university so its a bit easier to get into the swing of things when you start. I have just finished a Psychology report and now got a Sociology report to start so should be fun! Only one exam left in Psychology, one exam in Government & Politics, the Sociology report and the Dissertation and I have completed my course. Scary to think that by the end of June I will be finished and then roll on September! :smile:
You are coming from quite a distance then! Im sure it will be a great experience for you though having such a big change :smile: I am sure that you will love living in Norwich when you get here. It is a lovely place to live :smile:
Thats absolutely great that you have an unconditional then. Must be such a relief :smile: Sounds like you are very busy with all of them subjects then! I suppose at least its great preparation keeping yourself busy now before university so its a bit easier to get into the swing of things when you start. I have just finished a Psychology report and now got a Sociology report to start so should be fun! Only one exam left in Psychology, one exam in Government & Politics, the Sociology report and the Dissertation and I have completed my course. Scary to think that by the end of June I will be finished and then roll on September! :smile:

Yep, I can't wait! I'm so excited to move to a new city, especially Norwich. I only saw a little bit on a visit but it's so beautiful, can't wait to explore it all. It is, I have to say, although my motivation has dropped a little bit. Yeah, apparently some of the things in my course are the kind of things in the first year of uni, so hopefully it'll make the academic side a little easier. I have to say, your workload sounds far worse than mine! It's terrifying, isn't it, thinking about leaving? My school had our prom last night, not sure why they had it so early but we were all talking about how quickly it's all come around. So scary, but exciting as well.
Yep, I can't wait! I'm so excited to move to a new city, especially Norwich. I only saw a little bit on a visit but it's so beautiful, can't wait to explore it all. It is, I have to say, although my motivation has dropped a little bit. Yeah, apparently some of the things in my course are the kind of things in the first year of uni, so hopefully it'll make the academic side a little easier. I have to say, your workload sounds far worse than mine! It's terrifying, isn't it, thinking about leaving? My school had our prom last night, not sure why they had it so early but we were all talking about how quickly it's all come around. So scary, but exciting as well.

Yes I'm sure that you will love it when you get to Norwich. I think we all go through periods like that towards the end of the course when you start to lose motivation etc especially as you have an unconditional so dont need to worry so much. Thats really handy that you will be covering the same sorts of things in the first year. It will make it a bit less daunting. I think that having done the psychology report in my course should help me for when I start the degree as well. My course is done over a year so have to fit everything in a short period which is why it sounds a lot but really not too bad once you get into it all. Its just all about time management really. All of my assignments end up being due every 8 weeks all at the same time normally so I have lots to do at one period but then lots of weeks with nothing to do lol. I am 24 so a mature student so don't have a prom when I finish but it sounds exciting for you. I bet you can't wait! But yes I understand what you mean, time seems to be flying and it won't be long before we are all finished and getting ready to start uni :smile: yay :smile:
Reply 1209
Original post by jelly1000
Really the best place depends on your budget and priorities. If you aren't fussed about sharing a bathroom then Norfolk/Suffolk is supposed to be great- social, the rooms are a decent size and my friend who is there said she has never had to wait long to use the bathroom- you get 2 showers and 3 toilets per flat. I'm in Britten House- one of the ensuite campus halls and personally I love it- 5 mins from the main square, decent sized room, decent sized bathroom with the shower set back from the toilet so it doesnt flood the bathroom when you use. It is however the most expensive option on campus so don't go for it if choosing it means you'll have no money for anything else! The village is a good choice if you want an ensuite but dont want to pay so much- 5 mins walk from the sportspark entrance to campus, kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms are smaller than on campus but they still do the job. No idea about Orwell/Woolfson.

Ooh it's gonna be tough to choose. Thanks for your help :smile:

Original post by Hazular
Hello! This is a little bit creepy but if you'd like any help with a tour let me know and I can assist if available! I'm a student tour guide btw, not just some randomer :tongue:

Hahaha thanks but it's alright now, some people must have pulled out of the open day cos there's room for me now to actually go to the visit day and the proper tour. Thanks anyway though :smile:
Ooh it's gonna be tough to choose. Thanks for your help :smile:

Hahaha thanks but it's alright now, some people must have pulled out of the open day cos there's room for me now to actually go to the visit day and the proper tour. Thanks anyway though :smile:

As you can go to the open day now you should get to see the different types of accomodation which should help, as should the ammount of money you will be recieving for the year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi all.

Can't wait to start in September! Its a great city, very friendly people.

I have a few queries and wondered if anyone could shed some light. Ive been looking at accommodation. Im aware of what is available on campus but I feel Im a little old for residence. So Ive been looking at homerun and private tenancies. Ive found a place close to the city center, just a little north. Its outside the golden triangle and Ive been told thats where I should be. Any thoughts?
It will be a shame if Im isolated and am burdened by the location.
Original post by jdinsaanen
Hi all.

Can't wait to start in September! Its a great city, very friendly people.

I have a few queries and wondered if anyone could shed some light. Ive been looking at accommodation. Im aware of what is available on campus but I feel Im a little old for residence. So Ive been looking at homerun and private tenancies. Ive found a place close to the city center, just a little north. Its outside the golden triangle and Ive been told thats where I should be. Any thoughts?
It will be a shame if Im isolated and am burdened by the location.

What street is it on?
Original post by UEAAccommodation
What street is it on?

Its on Waterloo Road, just off Aylsham Rd. NR3 3HY.
Its on Waterloo Road, just off Aylsham Rd. NR3 3HY.

That's not too far at all from where I live to be honest (but I'm not a student I work here)!

It's not very UEA "studenty" around there (however there are a good number of Norwich Arts School students that have houses) and you would have to get two buses to get to the University.

If you wanted the full "UEA student" experience you might not want to live round there but if you wanted more of an actual feel of what it is like to live in Norwich outside of the sort of studentville of the Unthank Road, Earlham Road, Derham Road area it might be OK for you.

One thing is for certain the rent will be cheaper out there than it would be closer to campus and it is very handy for the city centre.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by UEAAccommodation
That's not too far at all from where I live to be honest (but I'm not a student I work here)!

It's not very UEA "studenty" around there (however there are a good number of Norwich Arts School students that have houses) and you would have to get two buses to get to the University.

If you wanted the full "UEA student" experience you might not want to live round there but if you wanted more of an actual feel of what it is like to live in Norwich outside of the sort of studentville of the Unthank Road, Earlham Road, Derham Road area it might be OK for you.

One thing is for certain the rent will be cheaper out there than it would be closer to campus and it is very handy for the city centre.

Cheers for the info.

Well to be honest it is a little cheaper but not substantially. If I coud find a place closer to the UEA but also not too distant from the city, ie Heigham Park area I dont think the saving would be worth it.

Would it be worth my while to visit the UEA accommodations office and speak to someone in person? I guess Im looking for the same thing everyone else is and thats a nice place, with pleasant people, on a budget.
Cheers for the info.

Well to be honest it is a little cheaper but not substantially. If I coud find a place closer to the UEA but also not too distant from the city, ie Heigham Park area I dont think the saving would be worth it.

Would it be worth my while to visit the UEA accommodations office and speak to someone in person? I guess Im looking for the same thing everyone else is and thats a nice place, with pleasant people, on a budget.

If you want to come and talk to someone in person about private sector accommodation by all means come on to cmapus but we wouldn't be the best people to come and see.

If you do decide to come call into the Student Union Advice Centre and speak to them in there as it's them that deal with the private landlords. They will be able to give you the best advice.

However if you change you mind and want to talk about your on-campus UEA Accommodation options come and see me in the Accommodation Office and I can go through what we can offer with you.
Yes I'm sure that you will love it when you get to Norwich. I think we all go through periods like that towards the end of the course when you start to lose motivation etc especially as you have an unconditional so dont need to worry so much. Thats really handy that you will be covering the same sorts of things in the first year. It will make it a bit less daunting. I think that having done the psychology report in my course should help me for when I start the degree as well. My course is done over a year so have to fit everything in a short period which is why it sounds a lot but really not too bad once you get into it all. Its just all about time management really. All of my assignments end up being due every 8 weeks all at the same time normally so I have lots to do at one period but then lots of weeks with nothing to do lol. I am 24 so a mature student so don't have a prom when I finish but it sounds exciting for you. I bet you can't wait! But yes I understand what you mean, time seems to be flying and it won't be long before we are all finished and getting ready to start uni :smile: yay :smile:

Yeah, it's a killer. :lol: Several people in my chemistry class are in a similar position, but if we all left there wouldn't be any people in the class at all! Yeah, I just hope it's true, it will make settling in so much easier if I know some of the work already. Ah, my time management needs a lot of work, I'm very good at procrastinating. Oh wow, that really does make me feel like a baby, I'll still be 17 during freshers. :lol: I'm not ready to leave though.
Yeah, it's a killer. :lol: Several people in my chemistry class are in a similar position, but if we all left there wouldn't be any people in the class at all! Yeah, I just hope it's true, it will make settling in so much easier if I know some of the work already. Ah, my time management needs a lot of work, I'm very good at procrastinating. Oh wow, that really does make me feel like a baby, I'll still be 17 during freshers. :lol: I'm not ready to leave though.

Yeah...its the same story at uni unfortunately. *has spent the last 8 hours today doing god knows what instead of maths*
Heya (: ummm.. I was wondering if anyone could help me out please.. I've applied for BA Culture, Literature and Politics at UEA which requires ABB, with a specific grade B in English, however (having extremely low confidence in myself) I believe I can only achieve a grade C for English, which would make my overall grades stand at AAC come Sept.
Has anyone ever gotten in with meeting their targets?
Any help at all would be much appreciated!!

^^

Latest