The Student Room Group

MSc Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing

Is anyone considering applying for this masters course at Oxford? Has anyone on this forum done the course and anyone prepared to let up on the nature of the interview(s) and what optional modules are interesting? I've also read somewhere that you take 3 special topics, but then read somewhere else that you take 4, could anyone shed any light on the situation? Thanks Guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Original post by SDA20
Is anyone considering applying for this masters course at Oxford? Has anyone on this forum done the course and anyone prepared to let up on the nature of the interview(s) and what optional modules are interesting? I've also read somewhere that you take 3 special topics, but then read somewhere else that you take 4, could anyone shed any light on the situation? Thanks Guys

Hello there! Are you a prospective student or going to start the course come this Autumn?

I think students take 3 special topics instead of 4 since each special topic accounts for a unit each. Where did you find out about students taking up for 4 special topics?

During my interview (about a month ago), I was only asked on technical stuff. Basic Linear Algebra, Differential Equations...nothing difficult. However, I only speak for myself and am not sure if it applies to all those who had an interview!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
nonono I am going to apply for 2012 entry... thinking ahead! Well from what i've heard its not too difficult to get onto... given that I just read someone who did 1 year at UCL and then went to brunel to do the 2nd and 3rd years of computer science and mathematics BSc was offered a place I would like to think I can. I wasnt knocking Brunel there by the way....

Ah see differential equations yeah I'm cool with that... Linear Algebra, havent done much since first year... that being said I have only just completed my second year! Was it PDE/SDE/ODES ? I dont know why i put SDE's i doubt they would ask for that...

more importantly, did you get the offer??

EDIT: and whats your background / university? If you dont mind me asking....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SDA20
nonono I am going to apply for 2012 entry... thinking ahead! Well from what i've heard its not too difficult to get onto... given that I just read someone who did 1 year at UCL and then went to brunel to do the 2nd and 3rd years of computer science and mathematics BSc was offered a place I would like to think I can. I wasnt knocking Brunel there by the way....

Ah see differential equations yeah I'm cool with that... Linear Algebra, havent done much since first year... that being said I have only just completed my second year! Was it PDE/SDE/ODES ? I dont know why i put SDE's i doubt they would ask for that...

more importantly, did you get the offer??

EDIT: and whats your background / university? If you dont mind me asking....

Ah I see. Is that person starting this year or is that information from some years back?

Lol! SDEs?? Nah! They asked me very basic ODEs that's all.

Yes, I did get the offer, though I applied really late!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Wow! Well done! It was a few years back I think... The course costs are 3.2k? See I'm going to be hit by the increase in fees. Plus accommodation - I've really got to think about my financial position. It wasnt integrating factors was it? I was fine with seperable odes, constant coefficient second order (the one where you guess e^lamda*t) but integrating factors i must recap, also what did they ask about linear algebra? I dont learn the theory of linear algebra anymore, I just get matlab to do it for me when need be... why would they ask easy questions given the course materials looks pretty dam difficult? What options did you choose and did they ask any personal questions in the interview? (Like name 5 things you can do with a kettle?) sorry for 21s lol its just taken me a while to find someone who is doing this course, and given they only take 10 people on a year for it!
Original post by SDA20
Wow! Well done! It was a few years back I think... The course costs are 3.2k? See I'm going to be hit by the increase in fees. Plus accommodation - I've really got to think about my financial position. It wasnt integrating factors was it? I was fine with seperable odes, constant coefficient second order (the one where you guess e^lamda*t) but integrating factors i must recap, also what did they ask about linear algebra? I dont learn the theory of linear algebra anymore, I just get matlab to do it for me when need be... why would they ask easy questions given the course materials looks pretty dam difficult? What options did you choose and did they ask any personal questions in the interview? (Like name 5 things you can do with a kettle?) sorry for 21s lol its just taken me a while to find someone who is doing this course, and given they only take 10 people on a year for it!

Hi there! Just came across your post. Did you apply? If so, how did your interview go? I applied for the same course and I have an interview next week.
Reply 7
Original post by firstladynaija
Hi there! Just came across your post. Did you apply? If so, how did your interview go? I applied for the same course and I have an interview next week.

Just curious, who are your interviewers?

I suspect they will ask you about some very basic linear algebra first, then move on to some very basic 2nd order ODE and lastly PDE. At least that is what most of my peers got asked during their interviews!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by studyboy
Just curious, who are your interviewers?

I suspect they will ask you about some very basic linear algebra first, then moving on to some very basic 2nd order ODE and lastly PDE. At least that is what most of my peers got asked during their interviews!

Really? Basic linear algebra like proofs or calculations?

I have no idea. They didn't say. All they said was that it was a 25 mins interview based on my background knowledge and then they gave me a long list of prerequisites.

You started the course in september right? How are you finding it? I really do like the course. But I have this feeling am going to mess it up at the interview :frown:
Reply 9
Really? Basic linear algebra like proofs or calculations?

I have no idea. They didn't say. All they said was that it was a 25 mins interview based on my background knowledge and then they gave me a long list of prerequisites.

You started the course in september right? How are you finding it? I really do like the course. But I have this feeling am going to mess it up at the interview :frown:

Yep, something like if a matrix has 0 determinant, what does it mean. What kind of properties can we infer from the matrix and etc.Oh, I remember now, there were Gaussian Elimination and many other basic stuff, read the prerequisite if you want more information. As for the PDE bit, try to read something on heat equation, separation of variables and etc.

Yep I did and the course is extremely demanding though very rewarding! I must say, I learnt so much in two terms. Don't worry about the course now, prepare and try to do well for your interview.:wink:

Oh, just saw some of your post and realised you are from York! Two of my coursemates are from York as well! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yep, something like if a matrix has 0 determinant, what does it mean. What kind of properties can we infer from the matrix and etc.Oh, I remember now, there were Gaussian Elimination and many other basic stuff, read the prerequisite if you want more information. As for the PDE bit, try to read something on heat equation, separation of variables and etc.

Yep I did and the course is extremely demanding though very rewarding! I must say, I learnt so much in two terms. Don't worry about the course now, prepare and try to do well for your interview.:wink:

Oh, just saw some of your post and realised you are from York! Two of my coursemates are from York as well! :smile:

Thanks a lot. That's really helpful. I just got the books out from the library. Seem's like am going to have a crash course on all i've learnt in my degree this weekend. :smile: I am afraid to hope though, so for now, fingers crossed for the interview...

Am sure all these things seem pretty elementary to you now :smile: May I ask, what is your brackground?(degree, uni, final grade...). Yup I am in york :smile:
Am actually an international student though, studying Mathematics.

Oh btw, I just found out who my interviewers are. Dr Kathryn Gillow and Dr Jim Oliver. Its right after their lunch break so hopefully they should be in a good mood.
Hello everyone.

I've applied about a week ago for the programme, and would be very grateful if someone could answer a few question:

(i) Approximately how long after applying were you informed about the results and had the interview?
(ii) Did you go there, or did you have the interview via Skype?
(iii) What are the chances of getting the OCCAM scholarship?

Thanks a lot.
Reply 12
Thanks a lot. That's really helpful. I just got the books out from the library. Seem's like am going to have a crash course on all i've learnt in my degree this weekend. :smile: I am afraid to hope though, so for now, fingers crossed for the interview...

Am sure all these things seem pretty elementary to you now :smile: May I ask, what is your brackground?(degree, uni, final grade...). Yup I am in york :smile:
Am actually an international student though, studying Mathematics.

Oh btw, I just found out who my interviewers are. Dr Kathryn Gillow and Dr Jim Oliver. Its right after their lunch break so hopefully they should be in a good mood.

If you are trying to gauge the level of the applicants then I can tell you that most would have gotten a first! I have classmates who obtained 2.1 for the undergraduate but they emerged to be one of the top 5 of my cohort for the recent exam so there you go. Good luck for your interview!
Reply 13
Original post by Levi_Civita
Hello everyone.

I've applied about a week ago for the programme, and would be very grateful if someone could answer a few question:

(i) Approximately how long after applying were you informed about the results and had the interview?
(ii) Did you go there, or did you have the interview via Skype?
(iii) What are the chances of getting the OCCAM scholarship?

Thanks a lot.

(i) See the Oxford University website for more details.

(ii) Are you currently in the UK? If you are then you are expected to go to Oxford for your interview. If not, you can choose to have your interview over phone or Skype but the preferred option will be Skype.

(iii) Nobody knows I am afraid. To qualify for scholarship, you will have to undergo another interview.
If you are trying to gauge the level of the applicants then I can tell you that most would have gotten a first! I have classmates who obtained 2.1 for the undergraduate but they emerged to be one of the top 5 of my cohort for the recent exam so there you go. Good luck for your interview!

Thanks! I got an offer today. Still in shock :eek:
Reply 15
Thanks! I got an offer today. Still in shock :eek:

Congratulations! You must have been an excellent candidate given that they made you an offer so soon! :biggrin:
Congratulations! You must have been an excellent candidate given that they made you an offer so soon! :biggrin:

Thanks! I don't know about being excellent. But whatever their reason, am glad am in! :biggrin: . Now I just need to get a 2i
(i) See the Oxford University website for more details.

(ii) Are you currently in the UK? If you are then you are expected to go to Oxford for your interview. If not, you can choose to have your interview over phone or Skype but the preferred option will be Skype.

(iii) Nobody knows I am afraid. To qualify for scholarship, you will have to undergo another interview.

Hey,

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, I'm in UK, and am invited to have an interview in 10 days.

I've seen the material they will ask us during the interview, but could anyone tell me in how much detail do we have to know? In particular, do we have to know more proofs, examples or just concepts? How much did you prepare?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Levi_Civita
Hey,

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, I'm in UK, and am invited to have an interview in 10 days.

I've seen the material they will ask us during the interview, but could anyone tell me in how much detail do we have to know? In particular, do we have to know more proofs, examples or just concepts? How much did you prepare?

Thanks. :smile:

Oh, that is great! Who are your interviewers?

From experience (my own and that of others!), they will start by asking you questions on basic Linear Algebra. For example, they might ask what properties of a Matrix can one infer it is has determinant equal to zero. Then they will move on to solving a system of equations using Gaussian Elimination and etc. Next, they will ask you on ODEs, 2nd order linear ODEs mainly. Lastly, they will move on to PDEs such as solving the heat equation and etc. By this stage, your half and hour for technical questions would have been up.

I was ill-prepared to be honest but if you prepare the materials for the above plus some extra, you will be fine. :smile:

All the best!
Oh, that is great! Who are your interviewers?

From experience (my own and that of others!), they will start by asking you questions on basic Linear Algebra. For example, they might ask what properties of a Matrix can one infer it is has determinant equal to zero. Then they will move on to solving a system of equations using Gaussian Elimination and etc. Next, they will ask you on ODEs, 2nd order linear ODEs mainly. Lastly, they will move on to PDEs such as solving the heat equation and etc. By this stage, your half and hour for technical questions would have been up.

I was ill-prepared to be honest but if you prepare the materials for the above plus some extra, you will be fine. :smile:

All the best!

Hey,

Thanks for the answer. ^^

I was not informed who will be interviewing me. All I know is that I was informed about everything by Miss Lotti, so it may mean she will interview me? Should I like that? :biggrin:

Thanks for the info on questions. I have started systematically revising everything on the list they gave. 50% more to go, and I'm over. I hope I'll make it.

Do you happen to know how hard is it to get the scholarship? Also, about how many students are there per year? Is if full every year?

Cheers!

Quick Reply