The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

I think there's already quite a few of us who are having to take a gap year and re-apply for medicine. So I thought it would be nice for us to have somewhere that we can discuss the upcoming year, how we intend to improve our application and having to re-take the dreaded UKCAT (not looking forward to this AT ALL.)

Best of luck guys, this is gonna be our year! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

*subscribes*

was really hoping i wouldn't have to re-apply. ah well, time to go through the hell that is UCAS all over again. :/
Hi guys :smile: Officially part of this post
Reply 3
kjgkljb
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey guys,
Did any of you apply to Leeds? Still waiting for them to tell me I've been rejected :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by bssjonny
Ahhh so depressing to be on this thread. :frown: how do you guys plan in spending your gap year?

I felt like this too, I'm over it now, thinking about how I'm gonna spend my gap year has helped me. I'm thinking of getting some more work experience and will definitely be trying to get a job as an HCA. I'm gonna carry on volunteering at the care home I've been volunteering at and I also want to do something with kids (not sure what though). I'm gonna start drawing and painting again (something I've hardly had any time for recently) and I have a huge list of books that I've been meaning to read. Would love to learn a language as well, maybe Japanese (what with my love for anime and manga).

I'm looking forward to not having to study for a while, it'll be a good break, especially when you think about how much you'll be doing once you get to Uni. The thing that's keeping me motivated though, is getting to see an 'Unconditional' on UCAS, that would be amaaazing! I know it's an awful feeling to get 4 rejections, but we all need to look on the bright side and make sure we have an amazing gap year. First things first though, gotta get 3 As, which is looking less and less likely since I just don't have any motivation whatsoever to study. Really need to give myself a kick up the backside and start doing some serious revision (or learning most of it really). Oh, and I also intend to smash the UKCAT, aiming for 700+

How about you? What you planning to do for your gap year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone on second gap year?
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Anyone on second gap year?

Graduate plus second gap year :frown:

Although I may try abroad or fill the gap year with a masters. Not entirely sure just yet.
Reply 8
Get work experience, but most of all, study loads for the ukcat. I didn't get in due to my ukcat last year, but got a much higher score this year and got an offer in december :biggrin:

Best of luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Dr.Acula
I felt like this too, I'm over it now, thinking about how I'm gonna spend my gap year has helped me. I'm thinking of getting some more work experience and will definitely be trying to get a job as an HCA. I'm gonna carry on volunteering at the care home I've been volunteering at and I also want to do something with kids (not sure what though). I'm gonna start drawing and painting again (something I've hardly had any time for recently) and I have a huge list of books that I've been meaning to read. Would love to learn a language as well, maybe Japanese (what with my love for anime and manga).

I'm looking forward to not having to study for a while, it'll be a good break, especially when you think about how much you'll be doing once you get to Uni. The thing that's keeping me motivated though, is getting to see an 'Unconditional' on UCAS, that would be amaaazing! I know it's an awful feeling to get 4 rejections, but we all need to look on the bright side and make sure we have an amazing gap year. First things first though, gotta get 3 As, which is looking less and less likely since I just don't have any motivation whatsoever to study. Really need to give myself a kick up the backside and start doing some serious revision (or learning most of it really). Oh, and I also intend to smash the UKCAT, aiming for 700+

How about you? What you planning to do for your gap year?

First of all.... great username! i wish i'd thought of that being a scrubs fan myself.
And well i guess first off im going to focus all my efforts to getting 4As. Then all my efforts towards a similar ukcat score......
I'll also carry on with my voluntary work at st johns and maybe get some more at a hospice or something to help my application stand out.
After that its all about choosing the right unis (which i think is where i went wrong last year).
Looks like I'll be re-applying too :yep:

I wasn't too confident applying first time round due to my stats not being competitive enough, especially my UKCAT :cry2:

Anyways, I was thinking of:
-job as an HCA
-volunteer in hospice AND hospital
-driving license
-bag in 1 more work exp. in a gp, hospital will takes ages like last year :rolleyes:

:beard:
Reply 11
Good luck everyone! Its wierd seeing all you starting your gap years like I did, but I hope it all turns out well for you :biggrin:

ucas track.png
Just a reminder what you're doing it all for! Just imagine how good it'll feel to read that for yourselves!

Ay advice on being a reapplicant, I've been there, done that, and considering getting a t shirt :P
Reply 12
Yh I also think my application was weak this year. I had mediocre grades at GCSE and As and an ok UKCAT I'm hoping that this year I can smash the UKCAT with practise and some classes and then choose my Uni's more carefully and also the added bonus of 3A's achieved should help too. I'm taking this time round as a lesson to prepare me for next time. Im thinking of getting a hospital related job, reading the books that ive been meaning to read spending some quality time with my family and visiting friends at unis so doing a good tour of the country :tongue: also going to spend the rest of they year after march travelling doing charity work in africa and then having some fun touring the states of america :smile:. And I might even be able to save enough to get a car and insurance.

So just to encourage myself and others in the same situation I'm saying a gap year is a blessing in disguise and Good luck to all of us I'm hoping we all get 3A's so we can gap year :cool:
Reply 13
Looks like I'll be reapplying. Actually surprisingly happy about it, feel like my application wasn't good enough to merit a place and that I didn't put in enough effort so all I want to do is apply properly next year :biggrin: Just going to revise like hell for my A2s and pick my unis a lot more carefully than I did this year, looking into taking some time abroad to help in a medical related situation, will look to organise more work experience/ volunteering, and try as hard as i can to stay on top of medical news/ news related to universities.
I know some people might hate the feeling of being left behind as their friends go to uni/ med school but don't be; you're not alone :biggrin:
Original post by twelve
Good luck everyone! Its wierd seeing all you starting your gap years like I did, but I hope it all turns out well for you :biggrin:

ucas track.png
Just a reminder what you're doing it all for! Just imagine how good it'll feel to read that for yourselves!

Ay advice on being a reapplicant, I've been there, done that, and considering getting a t shirt :P

Hmm... I'll give you my Pokemon card collection, Blue and Gold for that 'Unconditional' at Sheffield? :pika:

Deal? :redface:
Reply 15
Hey
I'm in the same position as all of you! But im actually looking forward to the gap year! UKCAT killed medicine hopes this year...but that IS going to change next year! I really want to apply to kings next year...but i dont know how they view reapplicants..do you think they expect more of you? ALSOO do you think 3/4A's are enough? I'd be so happy with 3A's but maybe they look for that A*? aahh i'll be on this more from now on....
Reply 16
Original post by Tzarchasm
Hmm... I'll give you my Pokemon card collection, Blue and Gold for that 'Unconditional' at Sheffield? :pika:

Deal? :redface:

Hmmm, its a tough one. But nahhhhh :biggrin:

You'll have offers to choose from next year!
Reply 17
How much do universities expect you to do on your gap year? Because once ive got my results and redone the ukcat there really wont be much time for me to do extra voluntary work/work experience before sending off my application.
Reply 18
Original post by twelve

ucas track.png

Congratulations! I hope to God I'm in a similar position to yours this time next year. The whole 'Unconditional' offer is the only thing keeping me going right now. Though, knowing me, I probably fall at the first hurdle and end up getting AAB in my A-Levels or something. Argh, so hard to stay optimistic! Must be such a good feeling though, you're definitely going to med school later this year. Congrats again. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by bssjonny
How much do universities expect you to do on your gap year? Because once ive got my results and redone the ukcat there really wont be much time for me to do extra voluntary work/work experience before sending off my application.

I don't think they'll expect you to have done too much by the time you've sent your app off as you wouldn't have had the time (I'm not completely sure about this, anyone feel free to correct me). I'm just gonna include a couple of lines in my PS about what I plan to do for the rest of the year, though. Like: I plan to do X and hope to learn Y from it etc. This way, if I end up getting any interviews (hopefully) then I'll have something to expand on.

Quick Reply

Latest