The Student Room Group

Imperial MSc Management 2012-2013: who applied?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Garam Masala
Well, you are the opposite of myself. I felt I did average at best, slightly better than my UCL interview last week which was utterly hopeless!

Anyway I did my interview a couple of days ago and I asked about my chances. The person who interviewed me was the programme director himself and he said that I had 'good hope' and that I should expect a response within a few days.

I received my offer a little over 24 hours later and have been shortlisted for an academic excellence scholarship.

Would you mind telling me a bit about your profile?
Original post by Chaaalieboy
Would you mind telling me a bit about your profile?

Sure, though I can assure you it is far from brilliant. I put a lot of effort in my personal statement and the four questions at the application stage. I'm also guessing that my referees gave me pretty good references, so profile aside I think these have helped as well.

I'm predicted a first class in Civil Engineering at a middle ranked university in the UK. I've had some work experience (mainly voluntary) but nothing special. I was vice president of my university's finance society. I do a lot of sports and have represented my university in several of them. I am bilingual, though I don't think this matters at all, but it was something I made sure I would mention in my personal statement.

What about you?
Sure, though I can assure you it is far from brilliant. I put a lot of effort in my personal statement and the four questions at the application stage. I'm also guessing that my referees gave me pretty good references, so profile aside I think these have helped as well.

I'm predicted a first class in Civil Engineering at a middle ranked university in the UK. I've had some work experience (mainly voluntary) but nothing special. I was vice president of my university's finance society. I do a lot of sports and have represented my university in several of them. I am bilingual, though I don't think this matters at all, but it was something I made sure I would mention in my personal statement.

What about you?

You made me feel miles better about my chances, thanks :smile:

I got a 1st from a good US university, and have been working for companies and NGOs in the developing world since my graduation.

I had my own business in college, as well, which I sold right about when I graduated.

And I know I gt excellent references from both of my referees.

My only concern is that I tend to come off as a bit arrogant. I hope that doesn't hurt me too much.
(edited 12 years ago)
You made me feel miles better about my chances, thanks :smile:

I got a 1st from a good US university, and have been working for companies and NGOs in the developing world since my graduation.

I had my own business in college, as well, which I sold right about when I graduated.

And I know I gt excellent references from both of my referees.

My only concern is that I tend to come off as a bit arrogant. I hope that doesn't hurt me too much.

You shouldn't have any problems getting an offer. Out of curiosity, which University of California college did you study at? When I asked the interviewer what my chances were after the interview, he said that I absolutely wouldn't have any problems with the quantitative aspects of the course (given my engineering background), and that it's great that I'm predicted a first for such a rigorous course. However he said that he hadn't heard of my university (which came across as quite arrogant, but he was a nice guy throughout so I think he had genuinely not heard of it!). It felt pretty bad when he said that, but I didn't retort and just smiled. He did say I had a good chance and that he would get back to me within several days. I'm still very surprised with the speed at which I received my offer, the scholarship shortlisting, and the fact that my offer is unconditional even though I haven't even finished my undergraduate degree!

How do you think you came across as arrogant? Were you boasting about your academic credentials, experiences etc.? In my opinion it's not a good idea, but it probably won't be a problem. My approach in interviews is to always remain objective. Because my thinking is fully geared to objective reasoning, I never have to be worry about coming across as arrogant.
(edited 12 years ago)
You shouldn't have any problems getting an offer. Out of curiosity, which University of California college did you study at? When I asked the interviewer what my chances were after the interview, he said that I absolutely wouldn't have any problems with the quantitative aspects of the course (given my engineering background), and that it's great that I'm predicted a first for such a rigorous course. However he said that he hadn't heard of my university (which came across as quite arrogant, but he was a nice guy throughout so I think he had genuinely not heard of it!). It felt pretty bad when he said that, but I didn't retort and just smiled. He did say I had a good chance and that he would get back to me within several days. I'm still very surprised with the speed at which I received my offer, the scholarship shortlisting, and the fact that my offer is unconditional even though I haven't even finished my undergraduate degree!

How do you think you came across as arrogant? Were you boasting about your academic credentials, experiences etc.? In my opinion it's not a good idea, but it probably won't be a problem. My approach in interviews is to always remain objective. Because my thinking is fully geared to objective reasoning, I never have to be worry about coming across as arrogant.

University of California at Santa Cruz.

And TBH, not even boasting all that much, but mostly just being cocky and almost overconfident. Like I said, it's something that I've really only ever found the Brits can't stand. Or maybe I'm just too damned American.
University of California at Santa Cruz.

And TBH, not even boasting all that much, but mostly just being cocky and almost overconfident. Like I said, it's something that I've really only ever found the Brits can't stand. Or maybe I'm just too damned American.

I see, your university probably falls in the same category as mine then as it isn't Berkeley or UCLA.

I don't think it's an American vs. British thing. I've met some arrogant Americans, and some very modest ones. Likewise I've met arrogant British people and others who are modest. I think it's just you, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. You might think you were overconfident but who knows, maybe the interviewer didn't think you were.
Reply 26
People who've had their interviews: How long did it take you to get an interview invite after your application was complete?
Original post by misse
People who've had their interviews: How long did it take you to get an interview invite after your application was complete?

I think it was about two weeks.
Hi Guys,

I had my interview the end of last week as well. The interviewer said it should take a week or two to hear from them. Though, I have to reply to another B.S this friday (that B.S already extended my confirmation time by 10 days, so I cannot really ask for more). I am reluctant to actually confirm the second Business School without knowing the outcome of Imperial B.S. This is due a substantial deposit that I need to pay and which I do not really want to lose if later on my Imperial application is successful.

Anyone that had the same issue in the past ?

I thought calling Imperial B.S on tuesday, explain my situation and kindly ask them for a response by friday !

Congratulation !

I did not know they give unconditional offers. Well at least at this stage, when you are still completing your first degree. I have almost similar profile ( Currently completing an Engineering degree, work experience, speak three languages etc...)
Hope to receive a similar offer :wink:
Original post by M.Freestyler
Congratulation !

I did not know they give unconditional offers. Well at least at this stage, when you are still completing your first degree. I have almost similar profile ( Currently completing an Engineering degree, work experience, speak three languages etc...)
Hope to receive a similar offer :wink:

I just found out that it isn't unconditional, I didn't read the e-mail properly.. turns out they'll give me the conditions within 2 weeks of receiving the offer e-mail.
Reply 31
Hi guys.

Wondering if you guys could share your application time lines? I am submitting an application tonight for a different course at IBC.

I was told that decisions take 6 weeks..

How long was it before you were contacted for interview?
Original post by Akkuz
Hi guys.

Wondering if you guys could share your application time lines? I am submitting an application tonight for a different course at IBC.

I think 2 weeks for me.
Reply 33
Original post by Akkuz
Hi guys.

1 week for me, from application fully completed and contacted for interview.
Reply 34
I think 2 weeks for me.

Thanks for the info.

Original post by vinc10
1 week for me, from application fully completed and contacted for interview.

Cheers dude. I got into Cambridge yesterday, but I will still go ahead with the interview, seen as I paid £50 and spent loads of time applying.
Reply 35
Original post by Akkuz
Thanks for the info.

Cheers dude. I got into Cambridge yesterday, but I will still go ahead with the interview, seen as I paid £50 and spent loads of time applying.

Wow congratulations mate! Well done! Cambridge is a no brainer:bl:
Reply 36
Original post by vinc10
Wow congratulations mate! Well done! Cambridge is a no brainer:bl:

Thanks mate! Yeah absolutely! I just need to wait and see what offer they give..
Reply 37
Applied to Imperial MSc Management on 8th of Feb. My refereces submitted their references on 15th of Feb. No news yet.

:frown: :frown:

Any idea. SHould i contact the school ?
Reply 38
Original post by 7dna
Applied to Imperial MSc Management on 8th of Feb. My refereces submitted their references on 15th of Feb. No news yet.

Your application has just been submitted less than a month ago. Just be patient:wink:
Original post by 7dna

I applied January 19th and they took 3-4 weeks. I think most of the other people in this thread applied way back in Nov/Dec.

Give it a week, and send an email off to the MSc Management program. They're usually pretty good about responding.

Quick Reply