The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

lol at the 28 reps, How do you count so high? For my DB incline presses I don't even count, close my eyes and rep out till I physically can't. Maybe I'm retarded but I find the act of counting to fatigue me slightly. Nice work btw.

For anyone who cares hit a 90 x 5 x 5 bench today
Reply 641
Original post by redbuthotter
lol at the 28 reps, How do you count so high? For my DB incline presses I don't even count, close my eyes and rep out till I physically can't. Maybe I'm retarded but I find the act of counting to fatigue me slightly. Nice work btw.

For anyone who cares hit a 90 x 5 x 5 bench today

There's a 99% chance it's not 28. I'm a terrible counter when it comes to high reps and always have my friend count. Still, I think it was 28 give or take a rep or two I suppose.

I agree, I don't count when I have my training partner but as I said he didn't come today.

Good job on bench.
Reply 642
DE Squat/Deadlift

(Free) Squat
100kg - 15x2

Sumo Deadlift
115kg - 4x1

Conventional Deadlift
115kg - 4x1

Leg Press
150kg - 3x18

Lying Leg Curl
4 - 3x15

Goblet Squat
38kg - 2x13

Cable Abs
60 - 3x15

Decent session. Bought Converses on Friday so I wore them. Felt nice, a lot better than the crappy shoes I used to wear. They had very, very little grip was annoying but these feel nice.

Just did machine work mainly for RE. I've got one more week of Accumulation phase I believe and then we can crank it up and move some heavy-ass weight! It feels nice to do some higher volume, isolation work though. Hamstrings were fried! I really need to focus on not just using a lot of momentum or contracting my calves. I dunno why, but when I do I just lose a lot of feeling in my hamstrings and feel like I'm not actually using hammies to do it.
The gastroc is involved in knee flexion. So just dorsiflex your ankle and that'll take it out of the movement.
Reply 644
Original post by The Blind Monk
The gastroc is involved in knee flexion. So just dorsiflex your ankle and that'll take it out of the movement.

Never has this gif been more applicable:

English mother****er, do you speak it?

Original post by Tullia
Saw the thread title and assumed this was a Math question. :colondollar:

LOL! xD
(edited 12 years ago)
One of your calf muscles is involved in flexing your knee (leg curling.) You can stop it assisting your hamstrings by basically playing around with your foot position.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/hamstrings_times_two;jsessionid=980D39DAFE791056518C8DBE6E0B0174-mcd02.hydra

See the hamstring curl picture in this article halfway down the first page.
Reply 646
Will try that. I just left my foot limp and I felt it quite a lot.
Reply 647
DE Bench

Bench
65kg - 15x3

DB Shoulder Press
17.5kg - 6x14

DB Row
34kg - 2x20

Wide Seated Row
10 - 2x12
8 - 2x14

Dips
BW - 5x10

Hammer curls superset w/ face pulls
HC: 14kg - 2x12
FP: 14.7kg - 2x18

Shoulder Rehab

Pretty good workout. I think I get a better workout without my training partner to be honest. Aside from Saturdays in which he is useful for spotting.

Pretty happy with dips for 5x10 actually. Had a bit left in the tank I'd say but after everything before it that's not too bad.

DB rows I went down so grip wasn't an issue. However going to 20 reps it did become an issue. I left it at 20 sets. It was painful as ****! Lower back was massively pumped and hurting. I love DB rows but I think it's useless trying to do them at my current gym. Will try to work out some alternatives that are similar to it.
Reply 648
ME Squat/Deadlift

1 block (2") deadlift
187.5kg - 1x4

Olympic Squat
100kg - 3x8

One-legged leg extension
25 - 3x14

Lying leg curl
5 - 2x15

Back Raise
BW - 3x28

Sit-ups
5kg - 2x15

Cable Abs
60 - 2x15

Very, very happy with 187.5x4. I did 175x1 before that and it felt annoyingly slow and I got worried. The original plan was to go 190 and get a triple. 175 was slow so I went a bit lower but I'm certain I had 190x3 if I had done it. Music and getting pumped up help a tremendous amount.

Decided to do some Oly squats. Didn't go crazy on them but it was a bit of a push I suppose. Felt nice and a lot of quad activation. Then just some other - back raises for that many reps is an absolute killer!
Reply 649
ME Bench

Wide Pause Bench
95kg - 1x4 PR

Tricep Bar Skullcrushers
20kg - 3x10, 1x9

Neutral-Grip Incline DB Bench
26kg - 2x12

Chin-ups
BW - 3x10, 1x9

Wide Lat-Pulldowns
10 - 2x13

Machine Reverse Flyes superset w/ Side Raise
MRF: 21 - 3x15
SR: 8kg - 3x15

Shoulder/pec rehab

Really happy to hit PR but it was weird to say the least. I did the first rep but there was little if any pause which I noticed. I didn't really want to "cheat" so I then did 4 paused reps after that. Essentially made my life a WHOLE lot harder by doing that but I got it so, **** it, I'm happy.

My pecs weren't feeling great so decided to give heavy DB bench a miss. Used the tricep bar for some skullcrushers. When I say 20kg I just mean 10kg each side. I tried to work out the weight of a tricep bar but I'm getting too many different numbers so it's pointless. Rest was good. Chins especially felt really good.

This is final day of Accumulation phase so tomorrow begins the Intensification phase. Looking forward to it! :smile:
Reply 650
Intensification Phase

DE Squat/Deadlift

Below parallel, medium stance box squat
90kg - 5x2
95kg - 4x2

Deadlift
120kg - 8x1

Medium stance GM
80kg - 3x10

Leg Press
170kg - 3x15

Cable Abs
65 - 2x12

Sit-ups
10kg - 2x8

First day of intensification phase. Box squats are always pretty darn hard but I think I did well. Kept my knees out a lot and the speed was pretty good. Raised the weight on deadlifts by 5kg to 120kg. The speed was still very fast and I may slowly raise that more and more unless it slows down a lot.

Decided to do some good mornings today. Pretty tough stuff, last rep or two in each set wasn't exactly perfect but I tried to do my best. Then wanted to do some quad work so did 3 sets of leg press. Nothing major although quads were on fire from it. Then some abs and done!
Reply 651
DE Bench

Bench
65kg - 9x3

Military Press
50kg - 3x5

Pendlay Row
70kg - 3x10

Chest-support row machine
65 - 2x10

Dips
10kg - 3x8

Face Pulls
17kg - 3x15

EZ-bar curls
26kg - 1x15, 2x12

Shoulder/pec rehab

My form for my bench was kinda poor today which annoyed me. My leg drive was just feeling really weird and out of place. Usually would have just warmed up a lot more but the queue for bench was stupidly long. Unfortunately meant I had to start earlier than I would have wanted or else I'd have to wait like 30-40 more minutes which I didn't want to do.

The rest was really good though. Did military press which I haven't done for ages - fairly pleased with 50kg for 3x5. It's quite weak I think but I've never had an impressive OHP. Then tried out some pendlay rows. Felt strong on these so weight should rise fairly comfortably for a while. Some machine work too to get a nicer squeeze and more volume in. Dips were okay, didn't push it too much. Shoulder rehab work is just using cable machine for RC stuff and pec rehab is light DB flyes. At times my pecs feel quite tight so I'm hoping this will help recovery.
Reply 652
ME Squat/Deadlift

Pause Squat
165kg - 1x1 (PR, but easy-ish)
170kg - 1x1 (PR)

Romanian Deadlift
130kg - 1x8
140kg - 1x6

Lying Leg Curl
6 - 2x10

Back Raises
10kg - 3x12

Sit-ups
10kg - 2x9

Cable Abs
30.6kg - 2x15

**** yeah! 170kg paused squat, couldn't be happier with that. Just felt like a very good day for squat. My form was almost perfect I felt and I just felt very strong. Initially the weights felt all so heavy but once I get into the zone with some music it all feels fine.

Nowadays what I'm going to do is do the opposite movement (squat -> deadlift, deadlift -> squat) for a 6RM or so. I did 130kg but it was a bit too easy so went 140kg and hit a 6RM on it. Next week I'll do deadlift ME and then probably something like Oly squat for 6RM. Then just some posterior chain work - back raises were awkward because I used 10kg bar and it's weird putting that on your back by yourself and taking it off when you're tired. Then some abs and done.

Also realised Aivi trains at the gym. I think the short-sighted Monk told me this one time but I forgot and then read his blog and remembered. Talked to her before, somewhat awkward in that I didn't know who she was before - anyway.
Reply 653
What the fuarck brah 170kg paused squat fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
I was in so much impress by your performance that I didn't even reply.
Reply 655
Maybe all this speed and max effort crap actually works?
Reply 656
Give me your legs. NAO!
Reply 657
I think if I feel good I'll try max on normal squat in 2 weeks time. Try hit that 180kg. We'll see.
Reply 658
Well done!
Reply 659
Good one, man.

Quick Reply

Latest