The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Statistics?

I need to make a decision between AH Statistics and AH Pure Maths for 6th year, I am hoping to apply to a broadly science based university course, such as Pharmacy and possibly Medicine, my sciences being Biology and Chemistry both of which I will take in 6th. I called a university to ask their opinion and they said it doesn't matter, as long as I have the two science advanced highers.

I know Statistics is an obscure choice as apparently not many schools offer it but my Human Bio teacher did recommend it as from her experience of university statistics is used very often, but equally I don't know what the perception of Statistics is - I don't want to spend a year studying a worthless AH in the eyes of universities and employers, especially if it is seen as a simplified version of pure maths. Any help with this would be appreciated!

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Swear I could've written this myself, honestly in an identical situation! I think I'm leaning towards Stats at the moment as we studied Higher Statistics this year and I found it quite interesting. Seems to me like it'll be more useful than studying Pure, but as I say I'm still a bit unsure... Might end up doing both, but don't want S6 to be too stressful!

As far as I can see, it would be seen as just as good as Pure Maths in terms of admissions (unless you decided to do Maths or something of course...) and probably for life sciences, it's probably more relevant?
Not many people know this, but Statistics is made from a secret concentrate derived from puppydog tails and kitten love. For the courses you mention, I think it would be much more immediately useful. It won't disadvantage you.

Original post by (:emily.
Might end up doing both, but don't want S6 to be too stressful!

If it's any reassurance, I think it's a comparatively low-tariff course. Give both a stab if you like.
Reply 3
Going to do both next year as well. I'll probably end up self-teaching and finding a centre just to present me for NABs/exam.

Stats doesn't look too bad actually, having read some of the material.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
statistics definitely if you are going to uni to do a life science
I took AH pure maths last year and AH stats this year. Personally I much prefer maths - statistics seems to just be about learning procedures, rather than understanding interesting things. Universities don't look down on Stats, though. :smile:
Original post by Scott006
I need to make a decision between AH Statistics and AH Pure Maths for 6th year, I am hoping to apply to a broadly science based university course, such as Pharmacy and possibly Medicine, my sciences being Biology and Chemistry both of which I will take in 6th. I called a university to ask their opinion and they said it doesn't matter, as long as I have the two science advanced highers.

I know Statistics is an obscure choice as apparently not many schools offer it but my Human Bio teacher did recommend it as from her experience of university statistics is used very often, but equally I don't know what the perception of Statistics is - I don't want to spend a year studying a worthless AH in the eyes of universities and employers, especially if it is seen as a simplified version of pure maths. Any help with this would be appreciated!

Thanks

If you want to do some sort of science at university I would really recommend taking AH Stats. I take both AH Stats and AH pure maths. My Stats teachers did Stats at uni and they said how they were always helping their friends doing science courses with Stats related stuff. It will probably be more useful than AH pure (unless you are planning on doing Engineering or Physics).

In no way is it a simplified version, yes the pure part of the course is slightly easier but the rest of it is not easy at all and you can't really compare it to the pure course. I must say though that if you aren't THAT strong at Maths you'll probably be more comfortable with AH Stats the AH pure because of the type of maths involved.

<3 Stats! but <3 Pure too. What other AH's are you planning on taking?
Reply 7
Thanks for all the great advice, I've taken the general consensus and decided to do AH Stats in 6th, I was leaning towards Stats to begin with but I wasn't sure if it was seen as a worthless AH but from what you have all said it seems not :smile:

My other 6th year subjects will be AH Chemistry and Biology and Higher History.
Reply 8
Original post by Scott006
Thanks for all the great advice, I've taken the general consensus and decided to do AH Stats in 6th, I was leaning towards Stats to begin with but I wasn't sure if it was seen as a worthless AH but from what you have all said it seems not :smile:

My other 6th year subjects will be AH Chemistry and Biology and Higher History.

Nice combo :fluffy: Your Stats should complement your Chemistry and Biology very well. :wink: And Higher History is just plain ol' fun, so you should have quite a good year. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending